• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors Smith 642 snubbie. Ammo?

hydro556

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2007
STL, home of the Cardinals.
Happy new year, gents.

My birthday was last week and my wife surprised the hell out of me with a Smith 642 snub nosed 38(<span style="color: #FF0000">I have never worried about it before, but this is the first 642 I have had that does NOT have a lock. And it is brand new. Not sure how Smith did the locks, but this brand new one came without a lock, so, cool)</span>. She had heard me talking about getting another pocket revolver recently because I had traded all my little guns away and only had full sized pistols.

I have had several 642's over the years and really like them for when you just want to drop something in a pocket, so she went out and grabbed one.

At any rate, I am going to be picking up a pocket holster for it, and will also need to stock up on 38 ammo. I only stock 45acp, 5.56 and 7.62. Although I do reload, just mostly rifle. That was one of the reasons I got rid of my last 642, ammo commonality.

I will probably order some ammo to see what this thing shoots well, but wont shoot it a ton. Are there any recent improvements in 38 ammo for short barreled revolvers I should consider?

And lastly, any new pocket holsters come online recently?

Thanks guys.

Re: Smith 642 snubbie. Ammo?

Federal makes a snubby load for short barrels, 135gr HP I believe

Corbon DPX Ammo 38 special 110gr. The 642 is a real handful with the 357 ammo.

Look at Pocket Concealment Systems for a pocket holster. By far the best I have found.

I have a 442 and I love it. I have it loaded with Gold dot short barrel 38 +P. I got an Uncle Mikes pocket holster (size 3, I think) and it is working fine for a $10 holster.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carnivore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Corbon DPX Ammo 38 special 110gr. The 642 is a real handful with the 357 ammo.

Look at Pocket Concealment Systems for a pocket holster. By far the best I have found. </div></div>

It is a 38 special, the model 642. You may be thinking about a 340. And yes, those are a handful.

I was recommended this elsewhere as well.

I am getting ready to order a couple hundred rounds, and will likely just get nothing but the Speer Gold Dot. Just wanting something that performs well, not necessarily looking to wring out every bit of accuracy given that this is a snubbie.

I used to use Ammuntiontogo.com, when I was buying commercial ammo, does anyone know of another place that may have better pricing?

My go-to load for all the J-Frames the last few years has ben the Gold Dot 135 +p load for short barrel's...the new kid on the block that seems to also be really effective is Hornady's Critical Defense load. Test it as well and see what you and your gun prefers...

-Tyler

I bought one several years ago when they first hit the market. I shoot the shit out of mine as they are rated for +P. I had a trigger job and had it refinished in Black Oxide. I use a pancake holster when I carry it, it carries well in a jacket pocket too. I am using Glaser and some CCI HP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Speer Gold Dot 135gr. .38 Spl +P. Its made specifically for short barrels. </div></div>

Good stuff. I have my 340PD with me at all times. The Speer ammo is top shelf.

I have the Nemesis on the way and am trying to find some of the 135 Gold Dot. If anyone knows where I can find some let me know.

Would be willing to trade for a few boxes also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Speer Gold Dot 135gr. .38 Spl +P. Its made specifically for short barrels. </div></div>

+1

That's what I use for carry in my 442.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..

A favorite!
Ammo is 6 of one 1/2 of another, ok, 5 of one and 10 of another, but the holster?

Superb!

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=166521#productTabReviews

</div></div>

+1 on this holster. I run Buffalo Bore .38spl + P SWC in mine.

TYB422 said:
My go-to load for all the J-Frames the last few years has ben the Gold Dot 135 +p load for short barrel's...the new kid on the block that seems to also be really effective is <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Hornady's Critical Defense load</span>. </span>Test it as well and see what you and your gun prefers...

Did some training with TFTT last summer and we shot some 38 spl+P Hornady's CD into a vest panel, very impressive. That's what I carry in mine now.

for target/plinking stick to 125gr rounds,for carry winchester pdx,gold dot or whatever flavor you like ymmv

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: reloop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the Nyclads in my 342PD </div></div>

I thought the Nyclads were discont'd?

If you are reloading rifle already I would reload 38 because you will get your money back after about 250 rounds (at least where I am at) and it is not like you will have to pick up your brass. For carry I would go gold-dot.

I carry Cast 150 SWCs (Lyman 358477)in my 642.

For Carry I used 5.4 grns of Unique. For practice and when I shoot ICORE I use 4.5 Grns of Unique.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Speer Gold Dot 135gr. .38 Spl +P. Its made specifically for short barrels.</div></div>

Another vote for the Gold Dot 135+P. Have also shot Hornady Critical Defense and Glaser 80gr +p with good results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Speer Gold Dot 135gr. .38 Spl +P. Its made specifically for short barrels.</div></div>

I second this.

In my front pocket every day.

I believe Nyclads were discontinued, but myself and buddy found some and stocked up

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wade</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Speer Gold Dot 135gr. .38 Spl +P. Its made specifically for short barrels.</div></div>

I second this.

In my front pocket every day. </div></div>

Another vote for the Speer Gold Dot Short-Barrel Laod. It will say "Short Barrel Load" on the box so look for that specifically. It's not all for short barrels.

stay away from the 158gr stuff,its a handful in a snubbie,since yours is the airweight its gonna be worse than a steel gun,for plinking or carry try anything from 125gr-140gr ymmv

Strictly for informational purposes, this is a 110-gr Hornady Critical Defense I recently recovered from a coyote that I administered the <span style="font-style: italic">coup de grâce</span> to with a 2" Charter 2000 Off-Duty:

r2bulletside1.jpg

Turned 180°:
r2bulletside2.jpg

Head-on:
r2bullettop1.jpg

Recovered weight is 98.2 grains. Expansion is ovalized, 0.50" on the long axis and 0.45" along the short, an increase in cross sectional area of about 56%.

I shot her in the top of the head from less than one foot and the bullet did not exit. It fell out of her mouth while I was skinning her out. Don't know what to make of the limited penetration on such a relatively small target but I suppose it didn't help matters that it had to penetrate skull to get inside.

Mine bears precious little resemblance to the "examples" on Hornady's web site:

criticaldefensemushroom.jpg