• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Smith and wesson 1911s?

Sgt. 0811

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2005
Aurora, CO
Does anyone have one? Opinions? I am concidering an E-series round butt model. Never fired one... Thanks

Re: Smith and wesson 1911s?

I was at a range's S&W promotional event when one decided to entertain us all and go FA. I don't own any S&W 1911s.

I have a 1911PD. I like it. It seems to be a very well made pistol. I dont have another to compare it to, but its not for sale any time soon.

I have the s&w e-series which is basically a copy of the Ed Brown Kobra carry. It is one of my favorites to carry with the scandium frame. The checkering to gripy but smooth in the right areas. The barrel is flush to avoid damage to the crown when carrying. The ambi safety is a nice feature.

I have an E Series. Standard Stainless. Functions perfectly. I use it in IDPA and it has yet to let me down. Magazines are another issue.... Dawson front sight, S&A Stainless magwell and a trigger job from the Performance Center at S&W. Only thing it needed was an 18.5# recoil spring. The factory spring was a little weak for my liking, but your mileage may vary.

If you can get some time behind one, I think it will impress you.

Mine has over 700 rounds thru it now and not a single hiccup.
And why would any guy not like the feel of a nice round butt in his hand?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine has over 700 rounds thru it now and not a single hiccup.
And why would any guy not like the feel of a nice round butt in his hand?
</div></div>
Lol, good point.
Can the grips be changed easily or do they have to be cut to fit the gun?

Thanks for the imput, looks like a go so far

The grips that come on it are nice but I could see that they might get a little slippery in the most adverse conditions.
I haven't looked around for any aftermarket grips yet.

I have held and shot the very basic GI Model, and the more upgraded Range Officer.

They both seemed OK and they both are 1911 accurate. The triggers, while they do not break like glass, are also OK, after all they are not competition 1911's. They would make a nice Defensive pistol. I prefer upgraded sights over the GI sights. Adjustable night sights on a defensive 1911 is nice.

Both these pistols are a friends, and he says he has yet to have a failure with about 500 rounds through each one.

VZ bobtail grips work perfect. I have aliens on a 1911SC. I haven't had any issues with mine. I use Wilson mags.

I've got a basic pre-E series SW1911 that has been flawless it's first 1100 or so rounds. I like it a lot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt. 0811</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone have one? Opinions? I am concidering an E-series round butt model. Never fired one... Thanks </div></div>

For the money, you would be better off with a Kimber. Also, if you want to float the bread Ed Brown is as good a 1911 that you can buy.

I've owned several of the S&W 1911s, and they are production guns at best. Both Kimber and Ed Brown put their hands on each individual gun to test for fit and finish.

How do I know? I've owned several Kimbers and every one has come with a 'trigger job' and match fit from the factory. Ed Brown builds each pistol by hand.

I owned one and I would say it is comparble to most other 1911s in the same price range. I never had any problems out of mine and shot around 500 rounds through it. Would have never sold it if I didn't need the money at the time.

Have a scandium frame PD. Have at least 2,000 rounds fired through it and not the first problem so far. Only thing that I've done to it was a trigger job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoosterShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt. 0811</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone have one? Opinions? I am concidering an E-series round butt model. Never fired one... Thanks </div></div>

For the money, you would be better off with a Kimber. Also, if you want to float the bread Ed Brown is as good a 1911 that you can buy.

I've owned several of the S&W 1911s, and they are production guns at best. Both Kimber and Ed Brown put their hands on each individual gun to test for fit and finish.

How do I know? I've owned several Kimbers and every one has come with a 'trigger job' and match fit from the factory. Ed Brown builds each pistol by hand. </div></div>

1. New Kimbers are junk and have been for a decade or longer.

2. Ed Brown and Kimber are both much more expensive than an S&W 1911.

To the original topic:

Personally, I pass on any 1911 with an external extractor. It's a solution in search of a problem. The controlled round feed system of the 1911 is part of its brilliance, and while I'm not a purist, I have no use for a 1911 with an external extractor. The original design works just fine.

until there is a huge issue with the extractors i keep mine classic. you can have a extractor fitted on a 1911 for next to nothing and they can do 2 at a time, that is thousands of rounds worth of life out of that gun. much more then 99.9999999 percent of people shoot.

if you are goin to buy a 1911 and don't want to spend wilson, ed brown, les baer, etc money they buy springfield, their customer service is awesome and their guns are built really well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoosterShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt. 0811</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone have one? Opinions? I am concidering an E-series round butt model. Never fired one... Thanks </div></div>

How do I know? I've owned several Kimbers and every one has come with a 'trigger job' and match fit from the factory. Ed Brown builds each pistol by hand. </div></div>

1. New Kimbers are junk and have been for a decade or longer.

2. Ed Brown and Kimber are both much more expensive than an S&W 1911.

To the original topic:

Personally, I pass on any 1911 with an external extractor. It's a solution in search of a problem. The controlled round feed system of the 1911 is part of its brilliance, and while I'm not a purist, I have no use for a 1911 with an external extractor. The original design works just fine. </div></div>

Completely agree on #1 & #2. When Kimber made the original 1911s they were great pistols. Now they live on hype. And, yes, they are very expensive.
My S&W 1911 DK model has well over 5000 rds thru it without a hitch. It is completely unmodified from its in-the-box condition. I do not have any issue with a 1911 with the external extractor. It makes no difference to me, external or internal, as long as the gun works. And it does work.

Have the e-series 1911 scandium frame SS slide. It's my daily ccw. I've put 500+ rounds through it so far without any problems. I've loaded mags of 230gr ball, 200gr +P HP, 117gr aluminum fragmented, empty cases and it ate them all up like candy.

Only mod I plan on making is upgrading the recoil spring. Not needed just doing it because I can.