• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Smith and Wesson M&P Shield

PAGhillie

Private
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2010
PA
Who has one? Any likes or dislikes? Thinking of buying one in 40s&w.

Do a quick Google or better yet do your best to find one to try-out if you're considering the .40. Everyone I know (me included) who has or has tried the .40 Shield found them to be very "snappy" to the point where accurate follow-up shots were a real challenge. Even my buddy, who is a die-hard .40 guy, had to agree that the .40 probably wasn't the best option for a pistol as short/small/light as the Shield. I have a 9mm and I really like it; I find I actually shoot it better than my 9mm M&P Compact and almost as well as my full-size without a whole lot of effort. Of course YMMV so that's why I suggest finding one to try... Good luck with your search!

I have been a fan of the 40 S&W since the mid 90's so when the Shield made its appearance I looked long and hard for a 40 but I couldn't find any Shields on the shelf anywhere. The first one I found was a 9mm so I bought it and have been happy with it. The small package is very manageable in 9 compared to the 40 I finally had the chance to shoot.

Mine is a 9mm. Like it very much. Just changed to idot sights with orange front circle. Awesome. If you get one and change sights , get a pro pistol smith to do it.

PB

Well did the google search and came up with very little on the 40 shield,more 9mm than anything. That why I asked on here. 9mm is hard to find right now that's why I'm leaning to the 40,I can find it everywhere. Muzzle flip can be tamed with the addtion of a flashlight or laser maybe?

Well did the google search and came up with very little on the 40 shield,more 9mm than anything. That why I asked on here. 9mm is hard to find right now that's why I'm leaning to the 40,I can find it everywhere. Muzzle flip can be tamed with the addtion of a flashlight or laser maybe?

You have your answer here if you think about it. Get the 40 if you think you can handle the extra snappy recoil. I will add to the above that I have two 9mm versions and they are fantastic little guns.
As for light/laser, there is no pic rail on the dust cover of the Shield. Also, no interchangeable grip inserts. Crimson Trace does have models of each that will attach but I don't think one that will take care of both.
9MM ammo situation is getting a little better. I have had no trouble finding HP ammo but will not say the same for FMJ.

Odd... I found quite a bit when I was doing my research. FWIW I wasn't being a smart-ass (as in "go look for yourself...") I just thought you'd get better counsel from a "multitude of sources". I know Lightfighter has a fairly detailed thread on the Shield in the secondary weapons forum as one possible source. As for the light and/or light-laser: I'm guessing they could help but with the added weight and bulk hanging off the end of the frame the question begging to be asked is then "why the Sheild..." kinda defeats the purpose (IMHO, of course ;)) Best; PLong

Follow-up to Light/Laser question: I just looked at my 9 and shoot4fun is absolutely correct - I don't see ant way to attach a traditional frame-mounted light or combo...

Last edited:
Well, I have never shot a Shield in either 9mm or .40 S&W, but having pistols in .40, I can imagine it would be a handful in such a small package.

Odd... I found quite a bit when I was doing my research. FWIW I wasn't being a smart-ass (as in "go look for yourself...") I just thought you'd get better counsel from a "multitude of sources". I know Lightfighter has a fairly detailed thread on the Shield in the secondary weapons forum as one possible source. As for the light and/or light-laser: I'm guessing they could help but with the added weight and bulk hanging off the end of the frame the question begging to be asked is then "why the Sheild..." kinda defeats the purpose (IMHO, of course ;)) Best; PLong

Follow-up to Light/Laser question: I just looked at my 9 and shoot4fun is absolutely correct - I don't see ant way to attach a traditional frame
-mounted light or combo...

Well you got guys on the net that tell you how to field strip it and talk about how compact it is. But not HOW it shoots or if you can control it. The. 9mm shield is hard to find in my area as is 9mm ammo,yes the ammo problem is easing,but I'm looking down the road also.

The 9MM Shield outsells the 40S&W by nearly 20 to one. The reaction I get from those who have shot it in 40 say "It's not as bad as I expected". As for follow up shots, the 40 is going to recoil more than the 9 any day and in any firearm. Physics will always win the battle.
As far as no one telling you how it shoots we have no f'n idea how it shoots in your hands.

I have the 9mm shield. Only shot about 200 rounds through it but so far no hiccups of any kind.
An accurate little piece too! The slim design is something to get used to too if your usually shooting full size.
Also, the .40 shield I believe is interchangeable with the 9mm barrel. So you can have best of both.
Good luck
th_f36013bf57c18abd6730ee994e6b38c0_zpsb9061a38.jpg

Last edited:
Went with the 40 shield ammo is more available right now if I don't like it I can always trade it on the 9mm later.

Do a quick Google or better yet do your best to find one to try-out if you're considering the .40. Everyone I know (me included) who has or has tried the .40 Shield found them to be very "snappy" to the point where accurate follow-up shots were a real challenge. Even my buddy, who is a die-hard .40 guy, had to agree that the .40 probably wasn't the best option for a pistol as short/small/light as the Shield. I have a 9mm and I really like it; I find I actually shoot it better than my 9mm M&P Compact and almost as well as my full-size without a whole lot of effort. Of course YMMV so that's why I suggest finding one to try... Good luck with your search!
My thoughts exactly. I bought my .40 just after the 9mm's sold out at the store I was in. I didn't care for it much. Accurate rounds on target under stress.

I've been trying for 2 months to get my hands on either just to check out. Interested in a Glock 27 or a Shield in 40. Held plenty of glocks and have a G22 as it is but have been unable to find a shield in stock anywhere. Its always oh you should have been here (insert random day) last week, we had 3 of em.

A guy in my squad yesterday was using a Shield. Recoil looked pretty sharp; two malfunctions. First time I witnessed one in action.

no hiccups here. swapped my trigger to an apex, much better. added talon rubber grips and night sights. I am very happy with this gun.

Crimson Trace and Laser Max offer front clip on lasers for the Shield. I have the Crimson on mine that I share with the wife. It actually isn't bad with it on really. What I have noticed though is when using an IWB holster that is made of the nylon fabric or whatever that shit is, the front sight catches on the lip and makes it a PITA to draw. When the laser is on the gun it stops it from sliding too far forward in the holster which is what results in the front site getting hung up. I compared the shield front sight to a Trijicon with the orange outline I have on my .45 and the shield sight sits considerably lower so changing the sights wouldn't have helped.

Shot the new 40 yesterday 'I like it'. Yes follow up shots are alittle slow right now but practice should take care of that. 50rds fired 0 failures.

I picked up two shields last week in 9mm. I shot one when they were first released, but forgot how soft they shot. I was shocked today, once again, these guns shoot great for such a small package. POI/POA at 7-10 yards, ran flawlessly with about 100 rounds through each of them.

I have heard a few complaints about the .40s packing a bit of a punch, but that is second hand information. I personally have only
shot the 9.

George