• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Smith Recommendation Needed

raidergrad

Private
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2012
Looking to build a long range hunting rifle and was curious if you guys had any recommendations on a local smith near Lubbock, TX?

Re: Smith Recommendation Needed

None I know of in Texas, but there's Jon Beanland in Oklahoma - one hell of a nice guy & even better gunsmith!!

Just ship your stuff to him & he'll take care of you!!

You have Louisiana Precision Rifles in Haughton, LA. You have Stiller Precision in Wylie, TX. You have Bryant Customs in Wheeler, TX. You have Shilen rifles in Ennis, TX.

Personally I would find a top smith and have him build what you want regardless of the state they are in. Shipping a rifle is not a big deal. As far as someone to just fix something I am sure there is someone qualified in your area.

John Beanland is a hell of a guy and would be a great choice.

Unfortunately John has suffered a back injury and he's lamed up presently. One of his normal clients is having us do some work for him and told us he's in a tremendous amount of pain right now.

Hopefully he'll get back on his feet here soon as he's a great asset to the custom rifle community.

Best of luck on your quest.

C.

I was out for about a 9 days at work. Tried to move a blast cabinet by myself. I think i tore a muscle pretty good. I am back at work now 100%. Those back injuries are not any fun. Guys take care of em.

Thanks, They do. First time i ever had one. How i know how what i have seen others go through.

What the hell Jon, I coulda drove down there and helped you move the cabinet!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beanland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks, They do. First time i ever had one. How i know how what i have seen others go through. </div></div>

I hurt mine pretty good once. It took me like 5 minutes to get out of a chair. Hurt like hell. I can't complain though for 43. My hands/wrists are what has taken a real beating. My wife is having back surgery next month for the second time. She doesn't know it but she's pretty damn tough. Some of the injections I've seen her get would make me cry for my mommy!!!
cry.gif

Bend your knees now!!!
grin.gif

Give stick a call at s&s precision. he is about 20 min north of fort worth

I was finally able to track down Jim Mills, a master gunsmith in Lubbock that used to be the co-owner of Gun Creations gun smith shop here in Lubbock. Here's an old write up from G&A discussing a 404 jefferies rifle he built for the author Return of the .404 Jeffery | Rifles | Guns & Ammo.

Anyway, wasn't an easy fella to track down, but he IS still in business as a precision rifle gunsmith. I'm about to go see him next week to discuss a new project. His number is 806-632-4859. He's located at 2417 Stanford in Lubbok.

Happy shootin'