• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Smith to spin up a Barlein AR15 barrel

rjacobs

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Mar 10, 2013
    Like the title says, looking for somebody who can spin me up a Bartlein blank into an SPR barrel for an AR. Got somebody with their heart set on using a Barltein for build, but I am coming up empty as far as a good smith who can do it and not take 6 months.

I have one done by Compass Lake. They obtained the blank and finished it. Does your guy already have the blank?

Mine is a Bartlien 18" SPR profile, 1-7.7 twist with the CLE Match Chamber.

Like the title says, looking for somebody who can spin me up a Bartlein blank into an SPR barrel for an AR. Got somebody with their heart set on using a Barltein for build, but I am coming up empty as far as a good smith who can do it and not take 6 months.

Give Chad Dixon at Long Rifles Inc. a call.

+1 for Compass Lake. Frank White is very well known in the High Power community. Never took over 30 days to get a barrel from him, but I usually go with what he has in stock or supply my own blank. A quick call or email to Bonnie will let you know what their current turn around time is.

I emailed compass lake last night so hopefully hear back from them this morning. All their website shows is Service Rifle contour available from Bartlein, but that might be out of date.

Do not have a blank, although it appears they are available from a few sources.

You're better off to call, that is if you're looking for a quick response.

Anybody have the actual drawing of the SPR contour and know what reamer is used?

Google buddy. Google.

SPRBarrel.jpg

Think we are going with a Krieger. CLE said no Bartlein's and the few smiths I talked to were going to have to start with a blank for a bolt gun and completely work it so it was going to end up at costing something like 800+ bucks.

I went through this about a year ago. I contacted a lot of Hide Sponsors like Short Action Customs, Long Rifles Inc and American Precision Arms.

Their short answer was that they did not want to drill the gas hole for the gas block. They suggested that I get a Krieger blank with gas hole and barrel extension to send them or... call GAP. I contacted GAP and they were too busy at the time to take on the work. A few months later I contacted GAP again and they told me to send the parts.

In general: Is 0.75-MOA "good" for you out of an AR?? Are you shooting hand-loads or top-tier match ammo?
    If Yes, Get a Noveske and be done with it. Their stainless barrels do 0.75-MOA or better in my experience.

The Krieger and Bartlein come into play if you have the ability to drive a gas gun to 0.25-MOA. Most don't have that ability! I'm not sure if I can either but, I have a Krieger to try and a Bartlein on the way.

Krieger vs Bartlein is a coin-flip. Excellent vs Excellent.

Good Luck,

AnschutzNerd

Think we are going with a Krieger. CLE said no Bartlein's and the few smiths I talked to were going to have to start with a blank for a bolt gun and completely work it so it was going to end up at costing something like 800+ bucks.

We just shipped CLE a small batch of barrels about 6 weeks ago. They should have some.

If you have the blank you could also try Paul at Craddock Precision in Carlock, IL.

Later, Frank
    Bartlein Barrels

We just shipped CLE a small batch of barrels about 6 weeks ago. They should have some.

If you have the blank you could also try Paul at Craddock Precision in Carlock, IL.

Later, Frank
    Bartlein Barrels

Cle only had them in service rifle profile.

The blanks seem to be available but the machine time to profile, chamber, etc... was the killer. I found a few smiths who said they could do the work but the cost was a bit high.

Thanks for the advice.