• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Smith & Wesson M&P barrel twist change?

snipe10

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 10, 2010
Colorado
Was talking with a buddy today that said S&W changed the twist on the barrels of their M&P line to make them more accurate, anyone heard this and if so when did it start? Not sure of what they were or are supposed to be now but apparently it's a big improvement.

Read something about a change awhile back for the 9mm twist, nothing about other cals. ALso a change in the barrels, something providing better lockup and accuracy than early M&P's. Also changed trigger parts/etc, giving a reset that is more felt or clicky, rather than just the mushy foward springy reset with no click or sound. Have tried several M&P's with very recent testfire dates, some had the new trigger, some didn't yet, no 45's yet.

Last edited:
bought a full size 9 mid summer.... Did all the apex upgrades and couldn't wait to shoot it.... It would group about the size of a dinner plate at 30 ft....spent hours at work researching the m&p's, a lot of problems with the 9's...called smith they took it back no issues. About ten days later it showed back up and all the paperwork said was new barrel...loaded up 100 berry 124 RN with 7.3g of AA7 and was very happy. Also used 115 berry RN with 4.2 of TG.....only reason I bought it was because it felt so damn good in the hand...

The twist change was to the 9mm. The Gen 1 barrels were 1:18.75" and some people found they did not shoot 115gr or 124gr loads very well.
Gen 2 barrels came in 2012, sorry I am not familiar with exactly what updates were made between Gen 1 and Gen 2.
The current Gen 3 barrels started appearing in early 2013, these new ones are 1:10" twist and are much less sensitive to ammunition choice.

My understanding is some Gen 1 and Gen 2 barreled guns suffered from fairly severe accuracy issues. Not all, but some. I have not heard of such problems with more recent Gen 3 barrels. I have a 5" Pro made late last year, it has the Gen 3 barrel and shoots as well as one would expect out of a $5-600 polymer handgun.

As rc2125 mentioned there have been some other revisions recently as well related to the sear block, slide stop, and trigger bar. Reset is much improved over older M&Ps. I thought the trigger on my Pro was pretty good for stock (although I swapped it for an Apex).