• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Smith & Wesson MP-15 Problems

Caveman0101

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2018
Edwards, CO
So I recently bought both my son's each one of these rifles, one has run flawlessly since taking it out of the box the other not so much. It jams every few shots while rapid firing and sometimes while slowly firing. It doesn't seem to fully eject the spent cartridge. I sent it back to S&W and they said they could not recreate the problem, so when I got it back I shot it and it jammed about 13 rounds into a 30 round mag. I'm shooting factory Federal brass case 55gr FMJs and have tried several different mags. I'm pretty frustrated at this point and will be taking the rifle to a local smith this week. Anyone else had a problem with S&W service?:mad: O' I fully expect to hear how I'm a poors from the German but that's ok.;)

Reactions: Amanda4461
Could be gas block alignment or weak ejector spring. Try switch BCG between guns. If that fixes the problem it’s something with the bolt head. Ejector or spring. Does it lock back on an empty mag? If it is not locking back that could be a gas port alignment issue. Also ARs like to have a lubricated bolt.

Last edited:
It does lock back on empty, I'm really not familiar with ARs or what makes them tick, that's why I carried it to a smith. But I do keep it cleaned and oiled. I've had most other types of firearms my whole life just haven't had time to learn the AR yet. I am really more curious as to S&W customer service experience by others and if it's even worth involving them any further.

Switch bolts between the two rifles. If the problem follows the bolt just replace it.

I hit it with a squirt of CLP after I cleaned it, when it came back from S&W it looked pretty lubed up so I shot it like it was. I was going to try swapping some parts with the good one but didn't have time, basically, the smith said bring it over and he will have it back to me by next week. It was already at S&W for over a month so my son is ready to shoot it.

QA on that brand is not what others are. Then again, you paid 1/3 of the price of a solid military grade weapon. You can always make it work. They make solid rifles, but generally not 1.5 MOA guns.