• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Smith&Wesson Sport AR15

z71rat

Gunny
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2004
Whitney, TX
I am considering getting back into an AR15. Of course, I want to get back into it with as little amount of funds drainage as possible.

My question is, how good is the Sport?? I won't be dragging it through the dirt and crap behind me, I won't be shooting any competitions with it... However, I do plan on plinkin, shootin some paper and steel, and will be coyote huntin with it.

Is this a rifle worth considering?? Or should I just continue to save the greens and get an Armalite or Bushy??

I am not new to the AR15 game, so this is not a newby question.

Thanks for anyone's input that has one, or has shot one, or at least put hands on one.

DK

Re: Smith&Wesson Sport AR15

I got one in for a customer. I'm still waiting on a second one from March. It had alot of features for the money I just don't like the fact of it not having an ejection port cover. Not sure how well it shoots but I can call and ask if you want me to.

Not having the cover doesn't bother me. For about 95% of the time, I never used it when I did have one. The other thing, about not having the forward assist doesn't bother me either. Just another feature that rarely, if ever, that gets used.

I guess my question really revolves around the barrel. I have never had any response with the coatings before, and was wondering about corrosion resistance, barrel life, velocities and such. I like the heavier profile to it, and the fact it has the A2 front sight. So its all about the barrel.

Yes, if you can find out any info on its performance, it would be greatly appreciated!! I wouldn't be asking the questions, but there just isn't any info out there on it other than some unsafe kids shoiting it on YouTube.

DK

Cool!! Thanks for the link. I am pretty sure that I will be gettin my hands on one. I haven't found anything else out there yet that is quite as appealing as the Sport for the price.

DK

Well, after reading all the review, I think that this is actually a done deal!! I have been very partial to chrome lining for all the years I have been shooting an AR. So the coated barrel was my single biggest concern.

I have been reading alot on the melonite coatings, and I was getting more and more closer to pullin the trigger on one. Now having read that full review, under "real world" conditions, I will be picking one up as soon as possible!!

Thanks for all the information... it is greatly appreciated!! Even though my bank account won't like it much...

DK

170,000 rounds down the tube, and no significant surface changes in the bore of the barrel. That is what I call impressive!!

DK

Speaking from experience, I bought an M&P sport just for the barrel and lower receiver, on the reciever I like the trigger guard made like it is, its actually part of the reciever, no stupid gap and its big enough to get a glove in if needed, as for the barrel, it is a 5r 1-8" twist, how many companys make that for an AR? As soon as I bought it I took the upper reciever off and put a real one on with a cover and button. of course a lot of other goodies too, free float handguard, eotech, ect..... but just the lower and barrel was worth it to me, it is as accurate as any ive ever shot, the 5r is easy as pie to clean, I luv it!

Well, I doubt I will change out the upper receiver. I don't mind not having stuff that I don't use. I have even been known to remove a dust cover anyway on a dedicated target rifle that I built many years back. So no biggie to me.

I am getting to be more and more impressed with what I am reading on the 5R Melonite barrel. More is coming up, I just obviously had to work on my googlefu skills a bit more.

DK

That information is very good to know though!! I have my EOTech comin to me now, so I agree with that choice as well. I plan on leaving mine pretty much the way it is when I get it.

Mine is going to be spending the majority of it's time thinning out the coyote problem, and also will be in the hands of my girlfriend quite a bit too!! I think she wants a pink one though... LOL.

DK

I have one and my thoughts are as follows-

-The weapon is very light weight and reliable.
-The fit and finish is very nice, much better than I expected.
-The T/C designed gain twist rifling is not a new idea (the carcano and other rifles had this long ago) but, it works very well and showed no fouling during my testing, performance with the Magpul BUIS sights (50 yds/5 shot groups) was as follows: PMC Bronze 55gr FMJBT .57" CTC, Rem UMC 55gr FMJ 1.01" CTC, Federal/Barnes Triple Shock 55GR BHP 1.58" CTC.
-The internals are nicely finished as well and the trigger is pretty clean.
-Functioning was 100% with all loads with no malfunctions of any kind.

The only 'complaints' I have would be the lack of heat shields (not really an issue I dont use my rifles as bullet hoses) and the Magpul sight could use a slightly larger diameter apeture, but thats it and those are hardly big issues.

The rifle is a really tremendous value for the buck, selling for about $600.00, I really dont know another AR of this quality that cant hit that price point. (and it really drills the Xring out with those PMC 55gr FMJBT)

Hope you guys considering one find this helpful.

BA

Yes, that kind of overall reporting is always helpful!! Thank you for that!!

I have definately made up my mind, and one will be coming home!! That is... as soon as I can find one in stock that isn't $699.00.

DK

I'm giving this a very serious look for the New Year.

Shop around, your dealer can probably save you some significant bucks on it, too. Mine spoke around mid-to-upper-8's.

This is also available as an upper.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ballistic Archer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <span style="font-weight: bold">and the Magpul sight could use a slightly larger diameter apeture, but thats it and those are hardly big issues. </span>

</div></div>

Not sure if you are aware, but looking at the picture below do you see the little lip that sticks up? that part folds down to open up a larger rear apeture.

13_693_popup.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, that kind of overall reporting is always helpful!! Thank you for that!!

I have definately made up my mind, and one will be coming home!! That is... as soon as I can find one in stock that isn't $699.00.

DK </div></div>

$659 plus tax here at Cheaper than Dirt , they were 30-40$ cheaper than other gun stores around here.(they lost a lot of business in this area during the gun crazy when Bama got elected and are working hard to earn business back)

I've had a Sport on hand for about 6 months now. It is a very accurate rifle and the 1 in 8 twist has handled 50-75 grain bullets really well. I have not missed the FA and ejection port cover and really like the winter style trigger guard.

Yes, I suspected as much and did in fact attempt to seperate them to use the larger apeture, however it would not move and I felt that had I pushed harder I would have broken the sight. Could be that I have a defective rear sight, I shoot well with it as is, but at dusk it might be an issue.

Regards.

uote=LS6TT]<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ballistic Archer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <span style="font-weight: bold">and the Magpul sight could use a slightly larger diameter apeture, but thats it and those are hardly big issues. </span>

</div></div>

Not sure if you are aware, but looking at the picture below do you see the little lip that sticks up? that part folds down to open up a larger rear apeture.

13_693_popup.jpg
[/quote]

Drop a drop of oil and it'll open. Mine and all the gen 2s I've had we're tough but broke n and loosened up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I doubt I will change out the upper receiver. I don't mind not having stuff that I don't use. I have even been known to remove a dust cover anyway on a dedicated target rifle that I built many years back. So no biggie to me.

I am getting to be more and more impressed with what I am reading on the 5R Melonite barrel. More is coming up, I just obviously had to work on my googlefu skills a bit more.

DK</div></div>

the cover and assist is a preference thing, the rifle really doesnt need either one, (I just wanted it) besides that the rifle is awsome for the price and as accurate as any other. you will be happy with it if you decide to buy it, id put money on it. I forgot to mention the fit and finish of everything is real nice as well, dont let the low price make you think they just slapped it together, its very nicley made.

I am definately in the hunt for this one. I have one on order right now for $599, plus shipping of $20. I will actually be down in Texas for an early Christmas with my parents and such, and picking up my Tahoe!!

I will be picking up the rifle on my way back home. Finally, finally, finally... things are starting to look up!!

DK

If you are near a sportsmans warehouse they have them in stock by me, its a great buy. They have them priced at $605 here.

The Sportsmans Warehouse in Grand Junction had them on sale for $598.00, but they sold out of them almost as fast as they received them. I tried to get them to hold one on the next shipment, but they have no idea when that is going to be.

So, for $599.00 and shipping, I have mine on order now. I will be picking it up the middle of next week. THATS when the fun begins!! LOL

DK

Gettin my rifle on order was just the beginning. I am now already $700.00 extra into this rifle, and I haven't even taken possession of it yet!!

DK

I got one with buying som upgrades I'm in her less tan a arm and she a nail driver at 100

I had one before and let her go I have regretted it ever sence the old one was a full ar with forward assist but I never used it just tap and racked

I bought the 5r barrel I don't know much about the gas guns I'm a bolt guy. I can take one down to nuts and bolts switch barrels and all that but performance parts = ??????

I got 12.6 hand guard magpul tri-hand guard and flip sights Eotech 512 low profile gas block 2 stage trigger gunfighter charge handle and some other stuff will post groups and pics when finished

Way cool!! I think this needs to turn into an M&P Picture Thread!! LOL

DK

ill post mine later, im making almost zero changes, sling mount and sling forward grip on the plastic handguards and maybe a dr optic site, i wanted the sport to keep it simple. But we all know how ARs turn out, simple at first and 3K add ons later.

I will be posting pics of the transformation she goes through. Poor thing, hasn't even made it home yet and I have a whole new wardrobe sittin here waitin on her!! LOL

DK

I have had the sport for about 5 months now. bought it back in august for $650 and I have left it bone stock. I have hit pop up targets with it out to 400 yards with the occasional hit at 460. never had any problem with it jamming or getting debris in it from the dust cover and the cutout on the bolt has worked for me to seat a bullet before. overall i'm very happy with the purchase.

I am sure I would be happy with mine too... IF IT WILL EVER GET HERE!!!!

DK

I'm debating getting one of these. I think the only thing I'd like to change would be a free floating hand guard. I like to be able to attach a bipod.

I found them locally for $699, but I want to see if I can find one cheaper.

the Orical has forward assist that's a + if you use one, 90% or plinkers dont, it also has a dust shield again not needed, the gas block is a flat top rail type, a + unless you going to do and extended hand guard / free float like i did.

the SW with the 5r barrel better in my book but it will run right with the standard. i would go with the SW if i was you but both are good

Thanks for your input. That is pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

Anybody know what's up with the availability on the S&W Sport?
I live in Western WA and checked with a couple dealers and they both said it would be a long wait for one.

All the shops that I have contacted here in Georgia say that they get them in weekly and sell them quickly.

Good to know. Gotta love the South! I think I'll have my brother in Texas check around for me.

Budsgunshop has these right now. They are good guns. I bought one with the sole intention of shooting the crap out of it with a slidefire stock. The stock had to be modified a little to work with the winter trigger guard, but after that I have had a few thousand rounds of fun with it.

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">Here is mine </span></span>

IMG_1047.jpg

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">After mods </span></span>

IMG_1070.jpg

Waiting on a eotech from a trade here on the hide

Very nice Cowboy! Where did you get it and how much?

its the SW sport with the 5r barrel bought for 640 off of buds guns u utg free float hand guard magpul tir-grip, magpul flip up gen2 sights, mag pro grip, and tried and true magpul pmags.

i did all work

total cost about 922 after local state tax

i took the A2 post off and cut it down to be a low profile gas block that saved me 40 bucks. the jp bolt on's, some times (always) slip when the get hot even with red locktite and 40 lbs of tqurue. i use the A2 sight because pined back in to place the always line up and do not move.

images.jpg

Finally, after a very long and painful ordeal, I finally got her in my hands!! Picked her up today, and had to go run 100 rounds down the tube to see how she was going to function. I am pleased to say, not even a hint of a slow down!! Absolutely flawless!!

After the quick 100 round dump, I had to go ahead and take her the rest of the way home. She did so good out there, I had to give her a whole new sexy wardrobe!! She's decked to the 9's now, including those high heeled boots!!!! LOL

I am very impressed with the quality of this rifle, the smoothness of operation, and how much fun it is to be back in an AR15 again. It has been quite a long time, and I'm glad to be back. I also forgot how fast they go through the ammo too!!

DK

Just chillin after the dump...
IMAG0156.jpg

Got her new sexy wardrobe on...
wink.gif

IMAG0157-1.jpg