• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Smokeless powder in a black powder load development

waveslayer

Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 6, 2012
    CA
    Hey guys, quick question... I had a Muzzleloader built that can shoot black powder or smokeless.

My question is... how do you tell max pressure when using smokeless powder?... I'm using a specialized ignition system, but watching for primers I don't think will work?

Watch for velocity swings and reduction with increasing charge weights?

Watching for primers may, indeed, not work.

What's your priming system? (Who built the rifle?)

Well, I dunno. If they are being truthful about a "100% seal", then I imagine if you get anywhere near the start of unsafe pressure, the primers will show it.

My loads were with the PR Bullet system, using 6mm Remington casings as primer holders. I don't recall that my loads of 40+ grains of 5744 behind a 250 or 300 THOR ever did really flatten primers. I don't think I'd want them to, and I had a Green Mountain on a regular R700 action.

Don't forget that that barrel gets pretty thin out toward the end. Those are BIG holes in these barrels, for the OD we have to work with...

That being said, you know what I'd do? Call them.

Reactions: waveslayer
    The original Smith said to use 76-77 grains of 4189 . I did and got some awesome groupings with 302gr. BOMB bullets. Velocity was 2834

Attachments

• 20200413_095249.jpg
      20200413_095249.jpg
      698.4 KB · Views: 24
    Reactions: natdscott
    I think. If you are getting 300 grain bullets to do over 2,800 fps, and anywhere near 1 MOA...

..from something that loads from the front....

...get off the forum. You're done asking questions.

(Or at least I am done attempting to answer.) :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: waveslayer
    System definitely seals 100%, but looking for traditional pressure signs like a real rifle isn't reliable because of a variety of factors. Pressure traces and quick loads are way to go. 76-77 of 4198 wth a 300gr bullet is a HOT load.

How abt posting up some pics of the rifle? I too have the Remington UML and have been debating on doing this very thing to mine. Give us a spec breakdown of it also if you don’t mind. Thanks man

How abt posting up some pics of the rifle? I too have the Remington UML and have been debating on doing this very thing to mine. Give us a spec breakdown of it also if you don’t mind. Thanks man

Sky is pretty much the limit on conversions. You looking for just a decent hunting gun or something that give max performance (325gr @3k FPS+).

Just a hunting gun but I hunt a huge corm field that is abt 700 Yards across. I have already killed on at 408 with it still using BH209 and a Parker bullet. I know the smokeless and a better bullet is easy to come by with a new barrel though.

Yeah, 400 isn't hard for sure. Past 500 gets pretty sketchy with the wind calls if there's much wind no matter what you're running. Brux 45cal, Modified Sendero 26" running a 300gr XLD would be a good setup for you.

It always amazed me how much the wind blows that big bullet. I was thinking a 45 cal would be the right call for a smokeless barrel. Thanks man

Sorry I was self isolating in Lake Havasu with about 10,000 other people!

Spec wise, simple R700ML action, Brux Barrel , I need to look it up, Timney Trigger, 1/28 twist, and HS Precision stock

Attachments

• 20180828_214001.jpg
      20180828_214001.jpg
      463.5 KB · Views: 41
    Looks good. I need to go ahead and do mine. I put A NF on mine because I knew how bad it was going to recoil and it lives up to that too.

Looks good. I need to go ahead and do mine. I put A NF on mine because I knew how bad it was going to recoil and it lives up to that too.
    I just put a NX8 2x20 on mine as well... it kicks good with the smokeless powder