• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting & Fishing Smoking and Grilling???

jpretle

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2005
Big Sky Country
Couldn't find a place for this so here it is. I'm sure some of you guys smoke your wild game, so my question is. Do any of you have recommendations for a SMOKER. Looking for a higher quality one that is well insulated. I know there are a few pricey ones out there, but not having used one, looking for some guidance.

Re: Smoking and Grilling???

Watch craigslist for a resteraunt selling a commercial smoker. You can get a several thousand dollar smoker for $300-500 no problem. The smokers they sell at places like cabelas leave a lot to be desired.

alton brown made a killer smoker out of a hot plate and an old upright freezer that was broken. I'm thinking about doing the same when i get into the new place.

I'm using a Bradley smoker. They are decently insulated and perform great. You have to buy wood pucks instead of chunks of wood for them which are a little pricey. Overall, I'm very satisfyied with it and would recommend you looking at it. They also have a great forum with recepies and tons of helpful info.

High quality and well insulated there are really only two that meet that criteria. The Big Green Egg and the Primo. They are both ceramic and hold their temp very well even in below freezing environments. I have used everything from electric to barrel smokers and the Weber smokey mountain. I now have the Big Green Egg and would not trade it for all the others I have used. They are pricey, but well worth it if you do a lot of grilling and smoking.

The ceramics are the most efficient smokers on the market. They don't use very much fuel and they can hold a temp after you get it dialed in for hours. They grill, smoke, and bake so you can basically get rid of everything else and just use this. If you like the ease of an electric smoker get a BBQ Guru and you have the best of both worlds. It is a little computer and fan that you set the temp you want the smoker and the temp you want the food and it does everything else. I have done 20 hour smokes with it and never had to touch it. Go reload or spend time with the family and have some great BBQ later.

I've had great luck with a plain old Webber grill. I really like my old school Traeger though. You can smoke, grill, BBQ, even bake in it. I did a turkey for Christmas that came out great.
Oh yeah, and the jerky is outstanding!

Brother, how much smoking do you want to do?

http://www.southern-pride.com/_new/products/smokers.php?category=gas

P1180073.jpg

make restaurant smokers and we've had one mounted on a tandem axle trailer for 14 years. It'll do 500 lbs of meat, rotiserrie style.

Another one we have is from ole hickory that does 300lbs at a time:
http://www.olehickorypits.com/PitModels/Model%20EL-IB.aspx

IMG00085-20110614-1027.jpg

Pick your poison for wood, but we use wild cherry.

Cheers,
Breeze

I use an electric Masterbuilt smoker. It works well for me. Just depends on how much meat you plan on smoking at one time. I use it year round here in Illinois and it holds temp very good. Meat always comes out good and its is very simple to use.

I've used a Bradley for many years.... until I decided to add a Big Green Egg just for a little "non electric" variety.

I gave the Bradley away to a buddy, and absolutely LOVE the flavor and versatility of the BGE. Excellent as a smoker of course, but a great charcoal grill and even an outdoor oven if that's your thing.

If you try one I guarantee you will not want to use anything else.

First of all southbreeze that's frickin big league right there I like it.

Jpretle check out a tregger grill they use pellets to smoke and are super easy and awesome to cook on you wont be disappointed...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Southbreeze</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brother, how much smoking do you want to do?

http://www.southern-pride.com/_new/products/smokers.php?category=gas

P1180073.jpg

make restaurant smokers and we've had one mounted on a tandem axle trailer for 14 years. It'll do 500 lbs of meat, rotiserrie style.

Another one we have is from ole hickory that does 300lbs at a time:
http://www.olehickorypits.com/PitModels/Model%20EL-IB.aspx

IMG00085-20110614-1027.jpg

Pick your poison for wood, but we use wild cherry.

Cheers,
Breeze </div></div>

What model number is the southern pride??? How is the build quality????

SPK-500

The build quality is badass. The Southern Pride is Dad's and it's 14 years old. One ingitor, door switch and two controls cover plates or about $300 of gizmo for that many years... it's cooked over 200 tons of meat.

We cook about 12- 15 tons a year.

Sorry O.P.

Just talked with dad and he said lower the number to 150 tons! Probably 50 tons on the smaller Ole Hickory.

Thanks Teamor.
Breeze

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpretle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Couldn't find a place for this so here it is. I'm sure some of you guys smoke your wild game, so my question is. Do any of you have recommendations for a SMOKER. Looking for a higher quality one that is well insulated. I know there are a few pricey ones out there, but not having used one, looking for some guidance.
</div></div>

O.P. I wasn't trying to be a prick or high jack you post.

The stuff we use is pretty big, but both of these companies offer counter top sized cookers. That was the reason i attached the links, so you could see for yourself.

These are all rotisserie type units, so your meat is self basting. THat helps keep your meat from drying out. Also, each drip catches/traps that smoke flavor to the meat even moreso. This is also great territory for making "dry seasoning rubs" more effective.

Here are boston butt's ready to come off.
IMG00086-20110614-1249.jpg

Just trying to get you hungry! Here's 500 lbs of chicken from a fundraiser.
BBQShiken.jpg

Make it better by mixing some pork ribs stacks in with the chicken and let that pork grease hit that chicken skin.....holy shit that will make you throw rocks at plain chicken.

good luck with your decision,
Breeze

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Southbreeze</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpretle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Couldn't find a place for this so here it is. I'm sure some of you guys smoke your wild game, so my question is. Do any of you have recommendations for a SMOKER. Looking for a higher quality one that is well insulated. I know there are a few pricey ones out there, but not having used one, looking for some guidance.
</div></div>

O.P. I wasn't trying to be a prick or high jack you post.

The stuff we use is pretty big, but both of these companies offer counter top sized cookers. That was the reason i attached the links, so you could see for yourself.

These are all rotisserie type units, so your meat is self basting. THat helps keep your meat from drying out. Also, each drip catches/traps that smoke flavor to the meat even moreso. This is also great territory for making "dry seasoning rubs" more effective.

Here are boston butt's ready to come off.
IMG00086-20110614-1249.jpg

Just trying to get you hungry! Here's 500 lbs of chicken from a fundraiser.
BBQShiken.jpg

Make it better by mixing some pork ribs stacks in with the chicken and let that pork grease hit that chicken skin.....holy shit that will make you throw rocks at plain chicken.

good luck with your decision,
Breeze </div></div>

Awesome smoke Sb!! Fuk I'm hungry.