• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

smooth out my precision ar15

wheelchairman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2008
Lebanon Mo
Got the rig built and it's a slick shooter. 15.4" wilson barrel with carbine length gas system, YHM diamond free float, RRA NM 2 stage, YHM comp/brake perm attached, rear pod, front bagged or bipod'd, blah blah blah. All in all, the build makes for a very light rifle and is a 1/2 MOA gun with me being a 1.5 MOA shooter. The primary use for this gun is 100-600 yards at least once a month. I do handload and only shoot that load through it.

Basically, I'm looking to make the recoil virtually non existent to aid in follow up shots and spotting my hits better. To do this a few thoughts have crossed my mind.

1. Add physical weight- This would be achieved by sand or lead in the storage area of my A2.
2. buffer/spring change- Something to slow the mass as it comes rearward. Stiffer spring/heavier buffer
3. Adjust the gas- This is what I consider to be the best option as the ar15 is gassed to operate with virtually all ammo. The normal load doesn't need alot of gas to cycle so the bcg cycles MUCH harder than needed.
4. low mass carrier- This will really only make sense with the gas killed if I'm thinkin right.
5. slowly do all as I get money

I'm looking into the adjustable gas tubes offered by Fulton Armory or MGI. The gun is already built and flash hider soldiered on so removal to install an adjustable gas block isn't of interest to me.

Any other suggestions or specifics on what I should look at? Have you used these gas tubes?

Re: smooth out my precision ar15

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wheelchairman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got the rig built and it's a slick shooter. <span style="color: #FF0000">15.4" wilson barrel </span>with carbine length gas system, YHM diamond free float, RRA NM 2 stage, YHM comp/brake perm attached, rear pod, front bagged or bipod'd, blah blah blah. All in all, the build makes for a very light rifle and is a 1/2 MOA gun with me being a 1.5 MOA shooter. The primary use for this gun is 100-600 yards at least once a month. I do handload and only shoot that load through it.

Basically, I'm looking to make the recoil virtually non existent to aid in follow up shots and spotting my hits better. To do this a few thoughts have crossed my mind.

1. Add physical weight- This would be achieved by sand or lead in the storage area of my A2.
2. buffer/spring change- Something to slow the mass as it comes rearward. Stiffer spring/heavier buffer
3. Adjust the gas- This is what I consider to be the best option as the ar15 is gassed to operate with virtually all ammo. The normal load doesn't need alot of gas to cycle so the bcg cycles MUCH harder than needed.
4. low mass carrier- This will really only make sense with the gas killed if I'm thinkin right.

I'm looking into the adjustable gas tubes offered by Fulton Armory or MGI. The gun is already built and flash hider soldiered on so removal to install an adjustable gas block isn't of interest to me.

Any other suggestions or specifics on what I should look at? Have you used these gas tubes? </div></div>

You built a SBR for low recoil and accuracy? Why?

I run a JP gas block which has dropped recoil nearly 35% with that and a good comp you can drop half the recoil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wheelchairman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got the rig built and it's a slick shooter. <span style="color: #FF0000">15.4" wilson barrel </span>with carbine length gas system, YHM diamond free float, RRA NM 2 stage, YHM comp/brake perm attached, rear pod, front bagged or bipod'd, blah blah blah. All in all, the build makes for a very light rifle and is a 1/2 MOA gun with me being a 1.5 MOA shooter. The primary use for this gun is 100-600 yards at least once a month. I do handload and only shoot that load through it.

Any other suggestions or specifics on what I should look at? Have you used these gas tubes? </div></div>

You built a SBR for low recoil and accuracy? Why? </div></div>

It's not a SBR since the FH is perm attached. The reason I went with this is because #1 I like wilson barrels, #2 it was the twist rate I wanted, #3 it was 130 shipped brand new. When you are building this while in college price beats length. Plus Velocity stays OK out to 700 or 750 but I only shoot it out to 600. The money saved on the barrel allowed me to get a nicer scope or 2 stage.

I feel ya on the price stuff. Been there.

A good comp would help with recoil, but I wouldn't weigh the rifle down. Using heavier buffers, springs or altering the gas might make it a little finicky with cycling while reducing the recoil. Good news is that it's a Lego gun, so you can switch out parts all day long until you figure it out.
smile.gif

Have you tried loading the bipod to keep the rifle from jumping?

Keep us updated!

Yes I would agree with AustinCQC.

The YHM phantom is a great flash hider but a bad compensator. Remove it and add a FSC556 from PWS. You obviously know that the blast will be greatly enhanced BUT the recoil will be cut in nearly half or more.

You can run a heavier 9mm buffer or the spikes buffer and see how that works out, then I would stop there. The PWS comp (or similar) and a heavier buffer or carrier weight should cut the recoil down enough for follow ups. If it doesn't then you're not driving the gun properly.

Lightened carriers and adjustable gas blocks (like the JP) are mainly for "competition" and require tailoring loads to work properly and efficiently.

FWIW, I run a 9mm buffer (tried one and never took it back out, just left it in there) and the PWS FSC556 compensator on my M4 and there's very little recoil when shooting XM193s. Especially if you sling in. No problems with over 10k rounds of everything through it so far. ;)HTH

If low recoil is a priority, you could have stuck with a rifle length gas system, 20" barrel, standard A2 stock and buffer. They shoot soft as warm butter. I know, that is water under the bridge, just sayin... Making the rifle heavier will definitely help. I'm not sure your are going in the right direction with a lighter BCG...think you need a heavier one, especially with a carbine gas system. Adjustable gas block will give you something to play with...but there will be a small range where it goes from working to not working: so may not be that beneficial.

To be honest, you seem to be wasting time and money on a carbine length upper designed for CQB. Put an Aimpoint on that bad boy and call it a day. THEN, take the money you would have wasted trying to turn your two-seater into an SUV and buy a second upper: get a full-length match upper from WOA for the same amount.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If low recoil is a priority, you could have stuck with a rifle length gas system, 20" barrel, standard A2 stock and buffer. They shoot soft as warm butter. I know, that is water under the bridge, just sayin... Making the rifle heavier will definitely help. I'm not sure your are going in the right direction with a lighter BCG...think you need a heavier one, especially with a carbine gas system. Adjustable gas block will give you something to play with...but there will be a small range where it goes from working to not working: so may not be that beneficial.

To be honest, you seem to be wasting time and money on a carbine length upper designed for CQB. Put an Aimpoint on that bad boy and call it a day. THEN, take the money you would have wasted trying to turn your two-seater into an SUV and buy a second upper: get a full-length match upper from WOA for the same amount. </div></div> +1 Didn't want to say it because I didn't want to cause buyer's remorse...but we're here to help. Let that carbine run some tactical courses while you save up for another upper.
smile.gif

I agree with building a second upper for what you want.As far as the MGI adjustable gas tubes,read the reviews on it on Brownells website.Great Idea,but don't work.Two Thumbs Down.On the Fulton?