• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

"Smoothening" my bolt

b7tac

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 9, 2011
FL
www.armatuscarry.com
I have a Remington 700 SPS Tactical. Needless to say, I have not been happy with the durability of the finish. Besides the finish, the bolt is really gritty (has been since I got it two years ago). I was thinking of taking some high grit sand paper and carefully sanding off the grittiness from the bolt body.

1. Will this make the bolt smoother? (The polished bolt on my CDL is silky smooth)

2. Are there any downsides to do this?

Let me know what you think.

Re: "Smoothening" my bolt

I've used steel wool on gritty bolts before, and it definitely helped.

I wouldn't.

First of all, the main points of contact are the ends of the bolt lugs, and not the bolt body. The fore-and-aft bolt raceways are the other contact area.

I have, on occasion, suggested applying some form of mild abrasive to the raceways and working the bolt fore and aft (lapping the raceways). These days, I'm no longer so certain that's such a wonderful idea, I would take extreme care to ensure I did not work the bolt engagement surfaces with abrasive, and that any abrasive was completely removed after its use.

In my own case, I would clean the bolt and action mating surfaces thoroughly. If that did not resolve the issue; I wouldn't proceed any further, and I would choose to simply live with it. A bit of rougness has no significant bearing on the rifle's performance; and messing with it may not be so harmless.

Greg

Send the bolt to ARPredatorHunter here on the hide and ask him to apply MICRO Slick to your bolt. It will help and is worth the money. Using a grease like Militec will also help over time as the grease soaks into the metals pores. WIth constant use the action will smooth itself out. I have custom actions that were really nice when I first got them but now after 1000's of cycles on them, they feel like they are rolling on ball bearings. Very smooth.

+1 I wouldn't either.

If it bothers you a lot, why not take it to a smith and get it polished and refinished (blued?)?

Shouldn't cost too much.

Guess you could even get the action trued if the rifle's worth hanging onto.....

I would try sanding the bolt body with 400 grit and wd-40. I polish bodies like this all the time and it won't hurt a thing.
But, this <span style="font-weight: bold">needs to be done in a lathe.</span> If you don't have access to one I wouldn't do it. Just my .002. Hope this helps.
Regards, Paul.
cool.gif

Quick question- is the factory "Tupperware" Hogue stock still on your rifle? If so... I'd put money on if you were to put it in a good stock, you'd definitely notice the action get smoother.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIG700</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quick question- is the factory "Tupperware" Hogue stock still on your rifle? If so... I'd put money on if you were to put it in a good stock, you'd definitely notice the action get smoother. </div></div>

Am I missing how a stock would help smooth your bolt throw?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smsnipes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIG700</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quick question- is the factory "Tupperware" Hogue stock still on your rifle? If so... I'd put money on if you were to put it in a good stock, you'd definitely notice the action get smoother. </div></div>

Am I missing how a stock would help smooth your bolt throw? </div></div>

Uneven pressure and torque because of a "bad" stock on the action will make the action feel gritty.

Are you lubing it?

You may send the bolt for a new bolt knob and have it Cerakoted.

I believe monteboy84 on this cite could do that for you. The bolt knob will help quite a bit, and so will the cerakote.

Clean the bolt and raceway. Lube the lugs, cocking ramp and bolt body lightly. Dry fire until you're sick of it. Then see how it feels.

If you want a bolt knob, give monteboy84 a shout. You won't regret it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brandon05_88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Clean the bolt and raceway. Lube the lugs, cocking ramp and bolt body lightly. Dry fire until you're sick of it. Then see how it feels.</div></div>
I second that.

Shoot the thing. After 10,000 rounds or so it will be very slick and worn in.

You might look at having it coated with Robar NP3 also. Terry Cross now does that on all his rifles.

If you want to try "smoothening" it, I have used the 3M foam abrasive pads available in different grits at the paint store. Cut into 1" strips and use as a "shoeshine" rag on the bolt and back and forth in the raceways and sides of the bolt lugs where they rub the raceways. Wont take off bearing metal and makes it a lot smoother. Lube it...bolt body with oil, bolt lugs with grease. JMHO

Yep,
kinda like steel wool and Break Free.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Send the bolt to ARPredatorHunter here on the hide and ask him to apply MICRO Slick to your bolt. It will help and is worth the money. Using a grease like Militec will also help over time as the grease soaks into the metals pores. WIth constant use the action will smooth itself out. I have custom actions that were really nice when I first got them but now after 1000's of cycles on them, they feel like they are rolling on ball bearings. Very smooth. </div></div>

+1 for ARP, Also get a good gunsmith and have him lap the lugs and raceways. But when ARP gets done with it, it will be like glass.

Shoot 300 rds in sand/ rain . Clean then oil ..your bolt is ready

To the OP is your bolt gritty on the bolt lift or when cycling the action front to rear?

It just needs to be broken in +1 for dry firing it a bunch of times. I put a little lithium grease on mine.

Mine just needed to be shot and dry fired a few hundred times to slick up very nicely. Cleaning off the factory grease and replacing it with a high quality grease after a bit of use also really helped