• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Snake Bite

Re: Snake Bite

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pazzo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They work pretty well on bee stings too. </div></div>

Rattlesnake bite > bee sting.

You would think that it would be a bit more potent given this factor. </div></div>

Not necessarily true, there are people allergic to bee stings that MUST have an injection (Girlfriends brother is one of them) - and he's BEEN bitten by a snake..

I have a snake bite kit, some Benedryl (Better than nothing). The lil suction cups etc.

Have also heard to slow the blood down with a LIGHT tournaquet.

Best thing I've read, don't panic, don't run, keep the heartbeat low as possible and get some help to come to YOU if possible...

Whew glad we don't have snakes up here. Gardner snakes are harmless here...

A brief synopsis of prehospital care for Pit Viper bites as described in Wilderness Medicine 5th edition, Paul S. Aurbach. Limiting the discussion to Pit Vipers (Rattlesnakes, Copperheads, Water Moccasins and similar) in the Americas for the sake of relevance. Most pre-hospital care will be standard for most types of venomous snakebite but I will only vouch for the accuracy in regards to the American Pit Vipers.
Here are some key points all paraphrased from the text:

Factors that most reduce injury and mortality are rapid transport, intensive care and antivenom.

Try your cellphone to reach emergency services, never know when you will be in range.

Do not try to capture or kill the snake (increases risk or multiple bites or multiple people bitten and wastes time) you will likely be getting CroFab or ACP antivenom at the hospital for anything besides a Coral snake bite so you don't need the dead snake. You can take digital pictures from a safe distance if you want, if you do kill the snake, know that decapitated rattlesnake heads have a reflex bite for up to 90 minutes and have been responsible for serious injury and death.

Depending on the training of individuals with the victim, monitoring and support of airway, breathing, and circulation is advised.

Victim should minimize activity if possible, use a helicopter, vehicle or stretcher for victim if available.

Remove all jewelry and close-fitting clothing in preparation for swelling. Mark border of swelling every 15 minutes with a pen or marker so Emergency Department personnel can gauge severity of envenomation.

Specifically listed as "not recommended" are:

"...incision, suction, tourniquets, electric shock, ice, alcohol, and folk therapies."

The Sawyer Extractor Pump is no longer recommended based on several recent studies showing a lack of efficacy and its use potentially harmful.

The jury is out on constriction bands used to limit lymphatic and venous flow. It is suggested that because permanent injury and death are rare and localized injury and disability are the most common lasting effects of American Pit Viper envenomation, a constriction band may keep venom in an extremity to do more serious and lasting damage.

That sums up prehospital care for American Pit Vipers as per the textbook on Wilderness Medicine.

If you do choose to use a constriction band I would suggest you recheck it frequently to make sure it does not become a tourniquet.

I did not see any information on the use of heat, I have read that snake venom is heat sensitive but I do not know what kind of snakes that is true for. In my opinion heat could promote a more rapid spread of venom into surrounding tissues due to its vasodilatory effects as well as increased swelling and the risk may outweigh the potentially cancellous effect of heat on the venom.

I could not find a study showing the percentage of Pit Viper bites that are non-envenomating (dry), versus envenomating bites but there was an interesting study referenced in the text that showed some Rattlesnakes give larger doses of venom in defensive bites than in predatory bites.

Happy Hiking.

If you get bit 13 mi. in the bush and you have a kershaw, you should just sit down and open up your veins with said Kershaw and smoke 'em if you got 'em. This is the best advice yet....your welcome.

Earthtrekker's post essentially covers what UKD's post did for the most part.
Regarding Constiction bands vs Tournequets: I never saw a constriction band (described by the 1st responder or buddy) that was applied correctly. Either they were too loose, or far too tight. I recommend NOT using them. Does more harm than good, never put on right.
CroFab was what I used in the ER in TX. Average 5-7 bites per summer, with 10 bites being a high.
Average 5 bottles of CroFab per patient. Some got far more. Most were shipped out, for surgical treatment while getting the CroFab, but one was seen by a different on-call doc than usual (luck of the draw) and he took him to surgery immediately and flayed open his arm. While this is the correct treatment, his surgical skill was pretty poor (the nurses called him Edward Scissor Hands).
During the Ten bite year, we had three snakes brought to the ER, One dead, one alive, and one in a small cardboard jewelry box (about 3x5 inches, 3/4 inch deep). One snake was about 5 feet long, with a girth at the thickest part about 10 inches (It had a rabbit inside, and was too full to skedaddle, so it just bit hard). One was average sized, about 3 feet, skinny. The small one was a baby diamond back about 4 inches long, that a kid had caught, and put in the jewelry box, as a gift for his girl friend. He had been handling it, for two days, and when he showed it to her, he said she could touch it without fear. Of course it bit her finger tip immediately (two shitheads). She got 5 vials.
These were the ones that were brought with the patient. The dead one by the way, had been run over, and the guy got out to mess with it. Bit on the hand. His buddy beat it to death with a shovel.
IN Oregon, I saw the classic Veneomous snake bite patient: Drunk, black metal t-shirt, young (19). After sousing himself at the lake with sufficient suds, he went looking for snakes, and found one in the grass around the lake. Black jeans and bare foot. Bit on the hand, since he picked it up in the middle. That was a bad one. 7 vials before the helicopter got to our ER, to take him north.

Finally: Heat lability: Considering that snakes will lie about on hot rocks in 120 degree weather, and adopt the environmental temperature, I doubt that heat of a level that a human can immerse in without harm would affect the venom at all. All those things you have heard of to treat snake bite before getting to the hospital are under the category of "Folk Medicine" including cutting sucking and applying heat.

Artic is correct.

You really don't have a lot you can do other than get medical attention. The best stop gap is to carry an Epi Pen (Epinephrine) that you would get as a prescription. The next best is to have a few tabs of Benadryl (OTC - sold as an antihistamine) on hand.

Folks that have those with nut allergies or bee sting allergies in there life should have a little Benadryl stashed every where. We should all have a few tabs in our first aid kits for the general public as well.

As for the suction gizmos in the kits - kinda funny when you consider the true hydrostatic vacuum pressure that can be achieved through the layers of tissue and dermis with one of these little things.

One time (at band camp) I was clearing a fire trail and pulled a big rock up - that happen to cover the nest for a bunch of baby rattle snakes - that was a classic freak out dance as they are fully venomous at that point and were all at my feet.

Just remember, snakes want less to do with you than you do with them. Make sure you can see where you are placing your hands and feet. Otherwise they feel the vibration from your steps and generally move along.

Good luck

We do on the Eastern side of the state. Almost got bit by one up near Twisp, WA when I was a kid and bringing firewood back to our camp. Friend's dad shot it.

I personally would have taken the sidearm over the k-bar to settle the rattlesnake problem.My next point is that there are several nice houses for sale out of the Amarillo area....no for real...that far away from the truck, it might be closer help would be in front of you than back tracking.just remember to think in every direction.In my time in s.w. texas,Rattle snakes are everywhere and they have bad attitudes.Here in Alabama we have more copperheads and cottonmouths.Ask your family doctor next time you go for a check-up or take the kids for their shots, or stop by the local Volunteer fire dept/rescue squad and buy a few cold drinks and get alittle info.These guys love to talk and answer questions

The best treatment for a rattlesnake bite is to avoid one, but if you get bitten. I would do the following:

1. Don't Panic

Surely it will be your first natural response, do your best to remain calm. Moving around only speeds the body's absorption of the venom and sends it from the bite to the rest of your body.

2. Examine the bite area

If the bite area begins to swell and turn colors then you've been injected with venom.

3. Venom

Remove shoes, tight clothing and jewelry that might constrict the bite area. Keep the bite lower than the heart if possible, to prevent venom from spreading further.

4. Seek Help

Call 911 if possible; if you are far out in the country alone ask to be airlifted out if possible. If you know that help is nearby, walk slowly and rest in intervals. Permanent damage can occur within just a few hours. The key point is to get to a hospital as soon as possible.