• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Snipe Hunting...

Yes, Wilson's Snipe. If not shooting them on the jump them prepare for LR shot when they break straight left or right.

Snipe hunting, Oh fuck yes, many good memories there. Took a lot of gullible people out to do that.
I never did fall for it but took many others out for the fun and games. It was always great to get some hoity toity bitch who thought she was all that out there to catch them and all of the other girls would be egging her on with shit like,"you do know about snipes don't you?"to which they were too on top of things to admit they hadn't a clue.

We would give them a gunny sack and a lit candle to hold inside of the sack then would scatter about making "eep" noises to lure the snipes in.
Soon everyone would be back at the cars and pickups and pop a top and wait to see how long they stayed out in the bushes and weeds making "eep" noises.
It was great fun.

Is that the kind of snipe hunting you are thinking about?

Reactions: Barneybdb and Kir
with a flashlight and bucket, at night?

ever been sent to fetch a left-handed bacon stretcher?

Ha, never really knew what this was truly BS until now. I had a group try to hard sell me on it one drunken night, and my Spidey sense was still working. I spent about an hour telling them that I didn't believe them.

Yep, that is the kind of snipe hunting I was referring to. First saw it on the Disney "Spin & Marty"series waaaaaaaaay back when... :ROFLMAO:

• Love
Reactions: Foul Mike
Have you ever been Snipe Hunting?
Yeah, as a rookie in my scout troop and the first time at summer camp. I was paired with my tent mate while the older guys had the flashlights and the stick with the hankerchief (the snipe) tied to the end.
They set us up in the woods along a trail and were chasing this thing around. We had our bag to catch the thing and were crouched on the ground to do just that.
They would chase this thing around us, then go after another pair of rookies, and then things got quiet. We were out there for a while, and talking with my buddy, we both noticed the kerchief on the stick.
After a while, we got tired and went back to our tent and went to sleep.
Early in the morning the scoutmaster poked his head in the tent and saw us sleeping. Turns out the other guys thought they "lost" us and combed the woods for the better part of the night.
The scoutmaster got a good chuckle from it and the older guys were not too thrilled about spending the night in the woods. It wasn't until later did we learn this was to be an "initiation". Guess the UN-initiated took care of the initiated without realizing it.

Early in my work career I was also the subject of the wild goose chase for the left handed monkey wrench, the paper stretcher, and some other BS.
They had their fun. I was still getting paid during the wild goose chase

Er..... It's not just a joke.

Snipe hunting/shooting is a long tradition in Scotland.

The term Sniper comes from the bird and dates all the way back to the late 1700's where, among the Indian Raj, the best shooters were the ones able to hunt and shoot the difficult-to-hit snipe. Thus the best marksmen were called Snipers. The first common military use of the term was in the early 1800's.

So while 'snipe hunts' have a long tradition that ranks with "Getting a left-handed hammer, a can of plaid paint or a box of grid squares..."

There is a real bird... real bird shooters... and a real tradition. Read Martin Pegler's book. Probably Frank's new one.

Sirhr

Ha, never really knew what this was truly BS until now. I had a group try to hard sell me on it one drunken night, and my Spidey sense was still working. I spent about an hour telling them that I didn't believe them.
there is such a bird, found in new zealand though. i suspect they don't send kids snipe hunting over there.

The term Sniper comes from the bird and dates all the way back to the late 1700's where, among the Indian Raj, the best shooters were the ones able to hunt and shoot the difficult-to-hit snipe. Thus the best marksmen were called Snipers. The first common military use of the term was in the early 1800's.

So while 'snipe hunts' have a long tradition that ranks with "Getting a left-handed hammer, a can of plaid paint or a box of grid squares..."

There is a real bird... real bird shooters... and a real tradition. Read Martin Pegler's book. Probably Frank's new one.

Sirhr
OH, I am aware of that now, but at the time had no idea.

Never hunted them specifically, but did encounter them when pheasant hunting when I still lived back in PA. Fast little suckers!

Er..... I think most on this site know where Sniper came from and well understand the term and where it came from but some may not so some history is good.

I think this post is all about some fun Old memories. Something to give us something to laugh about while we are a cooped up.

It might put some panties in a wad as they were the ones out there with a bucket or a sack, candle or flashlight, and never got over it.

For me it brought up some good memories as it was quite the thing back in my day and I doubt that very many young kids of today get to go out and partake of this activity. Now you have to have a goddamn "permit" to go have a woodsie or Hog roast or whatever where back then it was just what we did to entertain ourselves and stay out of trouble.

The only times I can remember that the local Cop or Deputy ever came around was when he knew the BBQ was done. We were very responsible and never left a mess for someone else to clean up as we wanted to be welcome back for next weekend. I don't think kids of this day and age even have a clue as to how to pull that off.

Sure, there were some feelers hurt and lots of laughs at someone's expense, but they got over it and they were the next ones in line to take somebody else out "hunting" the next time.

Oh God, when I was young I got to spend the summers at my uncle's farm,loved that place.

I was about 6 years old and my cousins decided it was time to take me snipe hunting since they were egging me on about it for weeks.

They left me out on a treeline that was covered in Ragweed
I flailed around in that shit until my eyes swelled shut.
My aunt and mother found me aand took me to the local Doctor's house where he fixed me up.

My aunt handed my cousin's asses to them,52 years later we still laugh about it.

We have snipe in Texas. I’ve never hunted them.

Hell yes when I was 5, grandpa took me, he left me in the pasture with a paper sack and a stick to flush them into the sack with. I stayed out there for awhile..... needless to say I walked back with no snipe.

Growing up in the country, I have always thought it was a funny play on words, usually used to convince somone to make a fool of themselves.
But since snipe are real Birds that are hunted, I’m not sure who the joke is really on, lol

Reactions: required_user_name
I’ve shot them while quail hunting! Never specifically hunted them though! Also used to kill quite a few woodcock!

Sirhr

thats the snipe hunting i knew...was very confused for the first 9 posts.

was a scout so luckily i never was asked i would have brought my rifle

Slang from our Canadian friends:

Snipe,
A particularly difficult or satisfying goal (wheel, snipe, celly); by extension, any difficult or impressive score; by further extension, "snipe" or "sniper" might refer to a very attractive woman. A swipey snipey is a hookup arranged through Tinder or similar dating app.

I grew up in very rural towns or out in the country near them. My High School class had 21 members.
On the weekends we would go down near the dry creek, "The Sandy" and have little parties that we called "Woodsies" somewhere along it's banks.
There were always the "Regulars," known party people who would organize these events just by word of mouth, and the word always got out to everyone to include the "Good" people down in Hugo 14 miles away, but gas was cheap and someone always had a "Bomb" to drive up for the events. Pack it full!!
Most of us were farm kids and had access to young pigs that we would kill the day before and the cost of the meat was shared by all. Others brought the "Sides", salads etc. beans were always included in the "Pit."
Saturday morning would find a few of us digging the pit and dragging in the wood for a big nice fire that we let burn down to coals.
That afternoon we would cut up the pig, put the spices on and wrap it in wet burlap and tie it. Put in a kettle of beans with remaining spices and a cover and nestle that in there too.
A very rusty piece of strongbarn tin went onto the coals, then the meat and beans, then another pieces or 2 of rusty stongbarn tin and a bunch of hot coals shoveled up on top, another piece or 2 of tin and then shovel the hole shut with sand. Wait a few hours and it is ready.
We had great parties. Digging out had to be done very carefully. You don't want sand in your food.
Copious quantities of 3.2 beer were consumed, a trip or 2 to Karval took place, Snipe hunting took place and I don't know but I think some fucking out in the bushes and weed took place also.

I find it a shame that some kids can't partake of such activities now. We had our shit together.

The only time the Cops or the Sheriff's Deputy's showed up was when they knew the BBQ was done and they wanted some of that and knew we would take care of our own.
Now you would need a "permit." How sad. We always cleaned up after ourselves and were never denied the opportunity to have a Woodsie next week.
Some of the parties took place on kids land that was owned by family but some took place on other land owners places that were "Cool", we moved them around. FM Circa 1960-1970

Reactions: Barneybdb
^^ This, I was that age in 2005 and still had very similar experiences. We all had a good time, no one got hurt ( badly). Everyone cleaned up their mess afterward. I look around today and think wtf happpend ? When did we go from that to the tide pod challenge and peeing your pants challenge?

Er..... I think most on this site know where Sniper came from and well understand the term and where it came from but some may not so some history is good.

I think this post is all about some fun Old memories. Something to give us something to laugh about while we are a cooped up.

It might put some panties in a wad as they were the ones out there with a bucket or a sack, candle or flashlight, and never got over it.

For me it brought up some good memories as it was quite the thing back in my day and I doubt that very many young kids of today get to go out and partake of this activity. Now you have to have a goddamn "permit" to go have a woodsie or Hog roast or whatever where back then it was just what we did to entertain ourselves and stay out of trouble.

The only times I can remember that the local Cop or Deputy ever came around was when he knew the BBQ was done. We were very responsible and never left a mess for someone else to clean up as we wanted to be welcome back for next weekend. I don't think kids of this day and age even have a clue as to how to pull that off.

Sure, there were some feelers hurt and lots of laughs at someone's expense, but they got over it and they were the next ones in line to take somebody else out "hunting" the next time.
Yeah, back in the day, when we were young and dumb (or so they thought) we would be subjected to that. We learned fast......and maintained our memory.

Unfortunately, as I close in on 70, my daughters-in-law would have a shit fit!

Hell, when I taught my her sons (my 3 grandsons) how to reload, I thought she was going to have a frickin' coronary when she found out. I wasn't allowed to babysit them after that. I taught my wifes two granddaughters how to shoot, and now my son's daughter (youngest granddaughter at age 14) wants to learn how to shoot and is also putting her ducks in a row to attempt to earn a nomination to the USNA at Annapolis. Grandpa is teaching her how to shoot and she is putting the hurt on my son!

Life is good!

Reactions: Barneybdb