• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sniper and EOD

Woody116

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2012
Western 'Burbs of Chicago
I wasn't sure where to post this question, so I thought this would be the best area to start. If I am wrong, please let me know which area this would be better posted in.

I was talking with a member of our bomb squad yesterday and he told me that precision rifle shots are sometimes used in EOD. I tried searching for any training for this and google was of no help. Does anyone have any knowledge/experience on this or know of any training for this?

Thanks in advance

From what I understand it can/has be used for things like detonating 'unexploded' cluster bomb submunitions.

A lot of CBM's were used by the Israelis in Lebanon, by NATO/UN forces in Serbia and in the Gulf War. A certain percentage of the CB submunitions would fail to detonate and end up sitting on runways, highways or sand... And one method for dealing with small bomblets after the fact... was precision rifle fire.

That said, I can't cite any actual instances of EOD doing this in a live environment. So it may or may not be more 'legend' than fact. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Sirhr

I was EOD USMC many years ago never saw or heard of it. But during WW2 the navy would shoot floating mines to explode them or sink them.

As a sniper I never saw it done but I know guys from EOD that used .50 cals to dispose of explosive ordnance if that is what you're referring to.

true.

its called SMUD stand off munitions disruption. depending on size of munition, can use issued service weapons for fast clearance. mostly used for cluster bomb stuff and surface mines.

Army EOD units were issued 50 cal barrets when I was in. think they still have em. also used G3 for submunition clearance with German Army. I have also used the Barret for mine clearance.

couple of links:

Explosive Ordnance Disposal: Technicians practice SMUD operations - Observation Post: News

More about XM 107

Last edited:
My primary MOS was a Combat Engineer and out of the hundreds of land-mines that I've pulled from the earth in theater I've never even thought of shooting at one, it will not detonate unless you're lobbing in some HEDP 40mm. You would do more damage and scatter crap all over by shooting it, there are some situations where I suppose it would work with something like a .50 HEIAP but a stick of C4 is hard to beat. Yes, I've pulled smoke on a stick of C4 and lobbed it trying to get a sympathetic det on a few IED's that we knew were remote det.

.50cal barrett with HEI bosnia 96-97 shooting surface placed AP mines with Swedish EOD.

mostly a low order not necessarily a high order det. not the most effective, but when your told to go shoot shit when your an E-4, you go shoot shit. lol

nowadays we hire out, mostly Zimbabwe and Mozambique men to demine. that's on US bases.. running armored equipment and sifters.

The only time I saw anything similar in Iraq was when the engineers/EOD/JIEDDO folks would shoot not to detonate the IED, but instead disable the triggering mechanism (base station, cell phone, etc.).

I was talking with a member of our bomb squad yesterday and he told me that precision rifle shots are sometimes used in EOD. I tried searching for any training for this and google was of no help. Does anyone have any knowledge/experience on this or know of any training for this?

I was Civ. LE EOD,(Sr. Tech)for many years, the reason you can't find info is because Bomb Techs don't like to post procedures of how to disarm devices. What you saw on our reports as to how a device was disposed of consisted of "Device was rendered safe and disposed of by EOD personal". That's all anyone needs to know.

But because its public knowledge, is the RMI, (Remote Mobile Investigator or robot) I was in charge of maintaining our RMI and you can get some idea about your question by looking at this picture.

RMI.jpg

Last edited:
I was Civ. LE EOD,(Sr. Tech)for many years, the reason you can't find info is because Bomb Techs don't like to post procedures of how to disarm devices. What you saw on our reports as to how a device was disposed of consisted of "Device was rendered safe and disposed of by EOD personal". That's all anyone needs to know.

Makes sense.

LOL

No, I'm not that old, but I'll admit I was the Jump Master for the Wright Brothers.