• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sniper Jobs? Whats out there?

Re: Sniper Jobs? Whats out there?

Whatever you do, if you decide to go to school, do lots of research and make sure you go for something that will earn you a decent living. When I got out and got a degree I found out the real world isn't so kind. I felt like my years were wasted and all of those years in college wasted to. I searched for months after graduation and nobody was hiring especially for a decent wage. I wound up working at Home Depot for a couple of years for less money than I made working as a teenager, wound up in management due to my experience and degrees but felt like that wasn't for me. I was never home, worked long odd hours that changed from day to day, never seen my family etc. So, I was offered another job at Lowes making more money but same old story. Went back to school for a second degree, graduated, did an internship for 6 months for no money at all and found out this industry likes to take advantage of people. Finally, I graduated and got a job that would give me some experience but was only making like $11/hr. Eventually, that came to a halt because the economy tanked and I got laid off. Then I was on unemployment for 7 months because nobody was hiring. Finally, due to a friend I got hired on at AT&T in the customer service and IT area. Worked my way up there but absolutely hated that job. It was the worst job I ever had. Finally, after years of long nights and hard work I got an interview with a local design firm ad agency deal. Went in for the interview and thought everything went great and it did but I did not find that out until 6 months later when I was called in for an interview. This time they hired me on the spot. And I love my job I really do along with all of the people I work with but I only make $30,000 a year which is a joke in today's time. I did get a 10% raise tho which I am very excited about but it has taken me like almost 10 years to get here. When I look at all my brothers and sisters I feel down because they are all making like $70,000 a year or more but it is what it is and these days I am happy to have a job I like at a company that treats me well. My experience was definitely a humbling one for sure. And while I am glad I am where I am at I would love to make more money. It's hard to live off of $30,000 a year before taxes these days. Luckily my wife makes decent money. Otherwise, we would never make it. So please do your research and go for a degree that will be around, be something you like, and net you a d good future return! Thank you for your service! Sorry for the long ass one paragraph. I am typing all of this via an iPhone.

Alex,

If you like what you are doing in the Army then stay in, but keeps your sights on how you are going to obtain new skill sets and become competitive for senior ranks.

If you (or your family) would rather separate, without a second thought go for a 4 year degree, preferably in some type of engineering or computer science/computer security. You will have no trouble remaining gainfully employed for many years to come with those credentials.

Go for some type of tradework specialty if you don't like school and love working with your hands.

out here in wisconsin there is a couple places that do several different training courses and one of them is long range precision shooting. i dont know how much business they have though i think most there money comes from their ccw classes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
One of the things that I have noticed about contract work is that the pay varies with the risk. So $350 may be beat cop in a relatively safe area risk level, $560 is probably closing on deployed infantry in combat zone, and $750 and up is an exponential increase in risk. At $1500+ a day, live it up, but you might be measuring your life expectancy in weeks. </div></div>

Out of curiosity, what would someone making $1500+ a day have to do?

Examples?

Trade school Keep your debt at a min and rake in some $$$ with a good trade. Set yourself up for success. Although I admire your current position.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What a bunch of douches </div></div>

Its not that they are douches. It is that other than having accesses to guns, military work and police work are that different from each other.

Soldiers shouldnt be asked to do police work and police are not prepared to do war work.

The most valuable aspect of your military experience is that you are willing to face adversity, overcome it and carry on.

That puts you head and shoulders above the majority of the population. The average person falls apart when confronted with a real problem.

Staying in the army, going to school, contracting, LE, whatever you choose to do realize that your experience puts you ahead of everyone else that has never served. The people that dont realize it don't deserve to use your abilities.

look at staying in a little longer AND going to school online if necessary.

one thing that has been mentioned is switching over to a more marketable MOS, whatever might interest you, and keeping shooting on the side. I did that years ago, switched from artillery over to EOD and got out.

if you decide to get out and contract internationally, kiss any family time goodbye. and be super careful about which company you sign up with. I have seen companies strand guys overseas but they keep coming back once they get addicted to the big $$$.

I ended up getting a degree online and working for the gov now, and just got back from afghanistan. and yeah, being gov civ usually means being unarmed, you well know there will be plenty of weapons around if something does happen.

just my opinion, but stay out of contracting until college is finished. it is littered with SOF guys dating back to vietnam era, no shit. And now companies are going after cheaper and cheaper folks, eastern europeans, africa, wherever they can get a warm body to hold a weapon.

Use the GI Bill most definitely. Go to a good university, those degrees are more valuable than online ones, live it up, and learn whatever you want. If you have to, get a transfer degree from a community college and then do the other 2 years at university (this is what I did to learn math). If you stay in a bit longer and get the promotion and get the 2 year transfer degree while you are in, then you may be able to use the GI Bill to get a Masters. Then you can find a job you actually like that pays well and may pay you to go get your Phd.

BLS has the statistics on what jobs make what, what degree is needed, and how in demand those jobs are as well as who does the employing and work conditions. Check it out.

College life is a lot of fun, and if you aren't married, you are gonna love that a hell of a lot more than the army. Of course you are always gonna miss what you do now... So satisfy that now --stay in and get the transfer degree and set yourself up.

Don't forget to get setup with VA when you get out. If you got hurt, it can come back and bite you in the ass hard later. That happened to me, but I was covered and took the advice --my buddy didn't and he's looking at an uphill battle and years to get his benefits. They make that shit real hard on you if you wait.

Take advantage of all of your benefits. They aren't "handouts" or "entitlements", they are earned. They were part of the contract you signed, a package deal, so take advantage of it. Get your VA house loan papers (even if you don't plan on using it) and keep your SGLI as VGLI and up it --you may not get insurance that cheap later, if at all, and your wife or future wife and kids will thank you for that.

Also, if you register with VA and get the ID card, some firearms dealers will give you the LE/mil discounts. That is pretty nice and worth doing for that alone I guess.

Get a college degree in LAW ENFORCEMENT.

Then if you STILL want to be a sniper try out for the SWAT team.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: litehiker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a college degree in LAW ENFORCEMENT.

Then if you STILL want to be a sniper try out for the SWAT team. </div></div>

wow, thats literally some of the worst advice I've ever heard!!

A college degree in law enforcement, there's one way to box yourself into only one option.