• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sniper rifle calibers, matter of future availability.

capttom1

Hard Charger
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2013
Mesa, AZ.
In a perfect world, with an abundance of available ammunition, it is the shooters choice, or prefrence. While in the military, and civilian sectors, I have had plentiful resources in obtaining just about any cailber ammo known to mankind. Recent changes in our administration, ammo availability, and supply/demand has changed a snipers/shooters perspective on types of platforms and calibers where ammo is abundant to some degree. In a possible dark glume scenero, where our great nation could find itself in another civil or internal war, one is left to ponder what sniper rifle/ammo would still be available. The list of popular sniper rifle calibers up this point in time is vast to include, 308, 338, 300, and 50. Not to mention the exotic calibers as well. In a scenero where no ammunition is available to purchase, and higher powers are confiscating private ammo nation wide, what would be the prefered rifle/caliber for long range defense (500 yards +). I myself believe the 308 would be the most plentiful, and easiest to obtain. Mainly because of the it's useage, longivity, and availability in the private sector through out our great nation. Granted with in the past 20 years most distance records have been broken, but in the above mentioned scenero, the calibers that broke those records will be gone, or not available. Your bolt action 308, with average glass will become the most sought platform. It's been around a long time, proven, and millons are in homes around the USA. Just curious what evert one else thinks???? Capttom1, Remember, "KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY PARTNER"!!!:confused:

I'm much less worried about hypoteticals and more about our current situation. I think 6.5 creedmore is the current hotness and I'd want one but it seems like loaded ammo and component availability is limited. For the near future with the limited and recreational shooting I do 308 is good enough and supplies plentiful in my possession.

Mitch

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

I think "SHTF" should be near the very bottom of considerations when one chooses a precision rifle chambering.

I have chosen .308 because of the endless amount of information and "professional" experience available to draw from. I would like to get proficient wi this caliber then move into something more exotic .338. I assume the transition would be easy, but hand not shot anything greater than a .300 mag.

O yea I'm also cheap!

Intresting replies to original topic. But coming from military past experience, "SHTF" scenero's, in sh*t hole corners in the world, the populas adapted to what was available, and were not concerned with hypo stituations out of there control. Intresting enough most true "Bad Guy's" scenero's use the Dragunov 7.62X54R so called sniper rifle. Soviets never dubbed it a Sniper Rifle, it was Long Range Squad Support with average grade Mil Spec range finding glass. In years past all types of bolt action mil spec platforms were adapted to sniper platforms. In today' or the past 10 years, the Dragunov is a common platform found in our enemies possesition, mostly in related sand box locations. 7.62X54R is plentiful, in that part of the world, and other countries supported by Soviet black market. I have owned and shot the true Dragunov for many years, and while accurate, to some degree, no comparison, to our sniper platforms/calibers. Now if it was all I had, what difference would it make any way. I would use it to its best capabilities.

In a perfect world, with an abundance of available ammunition, it is the shooters choice, or prefrence. While in the military, and civilian sectors, I have had plentiful resources in obtaining just about any cailber ammo known to mankind. Recent changes in our administration, ammo availability, and supply/demand has changed a snipers/shooters perspective on types of platforms and calibers where ammo is abundant to some degree. In a possible dark glume scenero, where our great nation could find itself in another civil or internal war, one is left to ponder what sniper rifle/ammo would still be available. The list of popular sniper rifle calibers up this point in time is vast to include, 308, 338, 300, and 50. Not to mention the exotic calibers as well. In a scenero where no ammunition is available to purchase, and higher powers are confiscating private ammo nation wide, what would be the prefered rifle/caliber for long range defense (500 yards +). I myself believe the 308 would be the most plentiful, and easiest to obtain. Mainly because of the it's useage, longivity, and availability in the private sector through out our great nation. Granted with in the past 20 years most distance records have been broken, but in the above mentioned scenero, the calibers that broke those records will be gone, or not available. Your bolt action 308, with average glass will become the most sought platform. It's been around a long time, proven, and millons are in homes around the USA. Just curious what evert one else thinks???? Capttom1, Remember, "KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY PARTNER"!!!:confused:
Are you serious? You're talking about private long range defense in a SHTF/civil war scenario? What do I think? I think you need help. Seriously.

This is not the forum you are looking for...

I also respect our members comments on "SHTF" being on the low end of the totum pole, and would have agreed with them to some degree, prior to this past year. But this past year has taught us that "Scare" scenero's depleted most of the quality sniper calibers, and drove the prices through the roof on remaining supply. Granted as time goes forward ammo should get back to some normality, but the prices, and quanity obtainability has changed forever. Most of us who saw these days coming, stock piled our prefered calibers or components in manufacturing our prefered calibers. But supply, and demand has chaged the scope we live in today. The smart folks pic and chose when and how much the shoot now, to concerve ammo inventory. Repleneshing ammo stores is not what it use to be. So I guess if you think about, maybe "SHTF" scenero's might be more prevelant than prior considerations have been.

I am looking for an opinon by others what I feel is intresting to some degree. If I have offended you I apoligize. If you think I need help, that's your opinon, and thank you for the kind comment. Even if the "SHTF" scenero isn't what you consider serious, thats OK to. How about the current situation in ammo availability, prices sky rocketing, and folks gouging others, taking advantage over others. That might not be important to you, nor a "SHTF" scenero in your world. But I respect your opinon and your kind comments to sanity.

30-06 is probably the single most underrated sniper rifle cartridge I can think of.

If you are worried about ammo in the future think Ought-Six.

"SHTF" calibers like 223 and 308 evaporated in the post-Newtown panic- components and loaded ammo, even hunting grade stuff. Components are still pretty hard to find for either.

OTOH 243, 30-06, 7RM factory ammo was always available, as was brass (and heavy-for-308 30cal bullets).

Talking about shooting other people in any kind of scenario is not only a taboo subject here on the Hide, it is not wise to do at all on the internet in the first place. We talk about banging steel and shooting tight groups on paper. Hunting game or eradicating varmints is a favorite pastime here as well. Civil War/insurrection, politics, religion and whatnot are not welcome here. If you doubt me, check the rules again. I'm not a mod, just giving you a friendly nudge. Cheers.

Being a new member I am learning as I go and will refrain from future post concerning the subjects Redmanss has spoke of. I spoke of a hypo personal defense scenero 500 yards+ and available ammo due to current day situations. I can see his, and the forums point of view, and again I appoligize to the forum and it's members.

Any comments on using a .308 platform to hone skills, and what skills are not easily transferable to larger calibers like the .338 (getting used to the recoil etc.)?

Any tips would be appreciated

30-06 is probably the single most underrated sniper rifle cartridge I can think of.

If you are worried about ammo in the future think Ought-Six.

+1, in a worst case scenario situation, 30-06 is the way to go, everyone and their brother has some 06 ammo around.

Talking about shooting other people in any kind of scenario is not only a taboo subject here on the Hide, it is not wise to do at all on the internet in the first place. We talk about banging steel and shooting tight groups on paper. Hunting game or eradicating varmints is a favorite pastime here as well. Civil War/insurrection, politics, religion and whatnot are not welcome here. If you doubt me, check the rules again. I'm not a mod, just giving you a friendly nudge. Cheers.
Amen to that, Brother! At some point this "war / impending doom" talk needs to be stopped. America doesn't have any problems that civil discourse can not solve. Civil discourse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia