• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

So, 10.3 inch barrel

Northtogladwin

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2020
10.3 and 16 in 5.56 go to ammo is soft point 62 grain sp, 68 gr bthp, or 75 gr bthp, I have 1000 of 75gr bthp. 240 gr68 sp, and 280 62 gr sp...... best for every day.

every day .... what ?

Carry ? And , IMHO, that depends on your threats..

At the range of engagement a mk18 is set up for it doesn't matter.

I keep it with me most of the time from camping to day trips, I'm accurate with it and just dont want to pay up for the 77 grain black hills when their is cheaper 75 grain bthp and 72 grain soft points. Wondering what bullet type would be best.

well, I'm guessing you're probably not going to be shooting for tight groups at 100 yrds on your camping trips, all those rounds are going to be "accurate enough" so how much does it matter as long as it functions properly ?

This is true. I do believe that shot placement it most important with bullet composition being second. I'm just wondering when I buy in bulk what's the best to get for the price. A heavier bthp or a 60ish soft point

10.3 and 16 in 5.56 go to ammo is soft point 62 grain sp, 68 gr bthp, or 75 gr bthp, I have 1000 of 75gr bthp. 240 gr68 sp, and 280 62 gr sp...... best for every day.

All of those projectiles can work well in a CQBR type setup. Ensure your loads are based upon 5.56 pressures. Personal protection they all work fine although 62gr bonded would be a little better insurance - people are generally weaker than animals (PCP/Meth induced not included). Hunting - I'd keep it within 200 yds for coyotes and hogs. Paper and steel you can obviously go longer for the hits.

You're going to need to practice with this firearm regularly. The recoil impulse is different from a standard AR, and even an 11.5" SBR. Barrel will tend to jump up and to the right a little bit - it's still only a 5.56-.223 ,but it's different enough to be aware of for follow up shots and getting sights back on target.

This is true. I do believe that shot placement it most important with bullet composition being second. I'm just wondering when I buy in bulk what's the best to get for the price. A heavier bthp or a 60ish soft point
I'm not sure how many times or ways it can be said but, find what your gun shoots best then buy that. We can't tell you what your gun shoots best.

Reactions: D_TROS