• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes So About this IPHY reticle

jcsparky

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
Anchorage Alaska
Im shooting a 3-15x50 MOAR on a Rem700 5R 300WM

I keep seeing these threads on IPHY being LOTS easier to range an hold?

So who's running what
and how easy is it to range and hold?

I was looking at the USO. They don't make the 3-22 anymore? Not sure I want the 5-25 but a 52yo miles as we'll I guess.

So are you dialing this in? Or holding?
If your dialing how close are the turrets?

I'm just working my way thru 700ish headed to 1000 ish?..

IPHY is no easier or harder than any other system to range and hold. You just need to know your data. The whole divide by 100 formula makes it sound easy and you can do it in your head but when you start using numbers that aren't easy it's no easier than using mils or MOA and a mildot master.

I wouldn't use IPHY as I would want either true MOA or Mils as then you don't have to worry about getting or giving corrections.

100 yards
1 MOA = 1.047"
1 IPHY = 1"

1000 yards
1 MOA = 10.47"
1 IPHY = 10"

I haven't personally met the shooter where IPHY vs. MOA really makes a difference, though I know they exist. A majority of our customers round off MOA values anyway, so why not give the people what they want? From my limited LR shooting experience I have learned that in order to fully understand what's going on, the shooter must know how milliradians, minutes of angle, and IPHY 'work.'

.47" doesn't sound like much but when you are dialing on 35 MOA to get to 1000 it adds up. There should be no rounding. Anyone who rounds true MOA to 1" doesn't know their system or how to use it as their is a difference. Guys who buy mil scopes and don't know how to use them wouldn't know how to use an MOA scope either as it's all about knowing your data and putting it into the rifle. It's about training. If everyone in your area uses IPHY then that's great. You are lucky.

I get that you USO guys like it because it's what you make. Fine. But I would rather stick to true angular measurements as that is what most every other scope in this game is and makes it easier when you are talking the same language as others.

I totally understand what you're saying Rob. We run with IPHY knobs and IPHY reticles not because we like it better and we want to force customers to use it... it's what we've learned (through customer feedback) that most of our customers prefer IPHY.

In our custom line we have, in the past, built scopes with true MOA knobs and IPHY reticles, and MIL reticles with IPHY knobs etc. As long as the shooter knows what he/she is getting into, to each his/her own.

Speaking of which, how about getting into the EREK game with 1 IPHY clicks where you could get max total in one round? There are those of us who do more Subsonics than high speed and my favorite to date is the Leupold M3 but 55 moa is not cutting it. I'd like something compact like the leupold 2.5X8x36 w/a ergo and erek that went to 75+ moa in a single rev. A 100+ would be nice even if you had to go to a 35 mm tube, I'd splurge on the rings. Lots of folks who could care less about paper or 1200 yds+ that shoot subs and high-speed both on a target that is either a hit or miss.

My last 2 cent wish,... put the cross where the Upper 20 is now in the MDMOA, that way you can renumber from 0-60 IPHY and use the hole thing instead of using it like it has been sense inception

Interesting requests... I'll definitely forward this to our product development team.

I understand what you're saying about the reticle; some of our customers accomplish the same function with the current MDMOA reticle by simply zeroing their rifle at the 20moa intersection above the center crosshairs. The only issue you'll run into is if you need to hold under but ran out of reticle!

Speaking of which, how about getting into the EREK game with 1 IPHY clicks where you could get max total in one round? There are those of us who do more Subsonics than high speed and my favorite to date is the Leupold M3 but 55 moa is not cutting it. I'd like something compact like the leupold 2.5X8x36 w/a ergo and erek that went to 75+ moa in a single rev. A 100+ would be nice even if you had to go to a 35 mm tube, I'd splurge on the rings. Lots of folks who could care less about paper or 1200 yds+ that shoot subs and high-speed both on a target that is either a hit or miss.

My last 2 cent wish,... put the cross where the Upper 20 is now in the MDMOA, that way you can renumber from 0-60 IPHY and use the hole thing instead of using it like it has been sense inception

X2!