• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

So another thread makes me ask this ?

Gunfighter14e2

Hunter/trapper of Remora's
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2002
Lick skillet Alabama
eham.net
Assuming you are,... Not a Gamer.

Do you always shoot in good/perfect weather, or do you train in the worst mother nature has to offer in your A/O? I ask this because thinking back, most of the locals who tell me they are not gamer's, never seem to be shooting when mother nature says hold my beer & watch this.
Here it seems to be if its, <45*F, windy, raining, snowing, or after sunset or sunrise, shooting is off their table.
How is it in your A/O?

Why would you shoot in horrible weather when it’s a fun hobby not a job.

“Cool” once in a while but it’s a pastime not a SF selection course.

Its not “gaming”, it’s realizing that it’s not a test of manliness like we’re 15.

Fairly simple. You should do some inclement weather training periodically for obvious reasons. However, unless you just get a kick out of it, there's no real training value when Mother Nature says "hold my beer."

It's the same with training for things like selection courses. You train to handle discomfort, but you get either zero or actually negative effects of putting yourself in similar situations as to the extreme parts of the course.

• Haha
Reactions: powdahound76
It depends on how badly I want to shoot.

I have gone shooting and hunting in all sorts of conditions but who wouldn't prefer ideal?
Yeah hunting is totally different

Personally I like some crappy weather once in a while weather when hunting

Makes me think I’m actually doing something except hitting a 6” vital zone with a weapon that can hit a 1” circle at the same distance lol

90% in "better weather" - relatively consistent winds under 15 MPH and not pissing all over me. I do this mostly for fun.

10% purposefully in shitty weather because it makes me a better shooter in all conditions, my wind reading gets better, and I rarely hunt on ideal days.

Reactions: jakelly
Why would you shoot in horrible weather when it’s a fun hobby not a job.
My guns are not for a job per-say, or hobby. A gun is but a tool to me, (yea I know I'm weird) and is for but two purposes. Either killing for the table, or killing what is trying to harm/kill me or loved ones. I've never had trouble call for an appointment, and during my days on this rock I've found weather makes most people, drop their guard, or hamper their skill level. Being proficient with any tool, requires different levels of discomfort and pain at times.

My guns are not for a job per-say, or hobby. A gun is but a tool to me, (yea I know I'm weird) and is for but two purposes. Either killing for the table, or killing what is trying to harm/kill me or loved ones. I've never had trouble call for an appointment, and during my days on this rock I've found weather makes most people, drop their guard, or hamper their skill level. Being proficient with any tool, requires different levels of discomfort and pain at times.
If protecting your loved one then it’s CQB which there is no weather or it’s pistol at close range and immediate action.

Weather is non existent in both all things equal. And truthfully both are 99% of the times in doors where it’s always sunny and 72.

If protecting your loved one then it’s CQB which there is no weather or it’s pistol at close range and immediate action.

Weather is non existent in both all things equal. And truthfully both are 99% of the times in doors where it’s always sunny and 72.
I think you need to get out more. Read up on country's where it went shitified.

Reactions: Nik H and xsn10s
This is probably a much harder decision for people who need to travel to shoot. Aways something to test or zero.

I have tools as well, and use them daily. Let's say a hammer. I have dozens of gu... uh... hammers of different sizes, weights, shaped for different purposes...

My typical use for a hammer is to hit things, generally very hard. I NEVER hammer in the dark, cuz I value my fingers. I never hammer upside down, in confined spaces where my swing is limited, or use a bigger hammer than needed. I never/almost never hammer outside in the rain, snow or at night when I cant see.

So to answer your question, no, I dont train to hammer in situations I have never/will probably never need. I dont speak Spanish, but I suppose if I ever need to speak Spanish, for example, I can always learn a new skill as needed.

Now, having said all that... if I were to start hunting feral hogs around here, I might need to learn how to set traps, put out bait, and loiter in an infested area for some time ( say a day and a night and the next day) to get a good ambush. That would require being prepared for any weather, and light conditions (have to acquire & learn to use thermal nods) and require a buddy or two for 24 hr watch, etc. Also needs food, sleep gear, water, and the ability to react/shift according to situation.

So, no. I dont do anything special. But if I needed it, I would acquire, learn & use special stuff.

I post on here occasionally about cold weather shooting, and never get a response. Like you Gunfighter I can't help myself, always training. I don't know for what, but I do know I'm too damn old to fire and maneuver. If the occasion demands I'll pick a FPL and fire. Where I live it is cold a lot. Need to know that effects things. Keep training.

Reactions: xsn10s
While it's off topic, the larger issue is fitness. Combat is a cardio sport. You can shoot in the rain all you want.....if you can't get up and go when it's time to get up and go, it won't matter.

Also, the more fit you are the more resilient you'll be to inclement weather. Both mentally and physically.

I think you need to get out more. Read up on country's where it went shitified.
Being prepared is always the best plan

99% of the time we are with our family:

at night in our own home
Store
Car
Restaurant

All those places are pistol only scenarios and they are all out of the weather.

The rest of the time they at school and us at work

Training with a AR or 26 pound 6.5 in the snow doesn’t help when a shooter shows up in 7-11. That’s pistol work.

Thinking when walking in a store buying a t-shirt with your son and a wacko starts off that the pimped out AR in the 3 day go bag in the trunk is going to help is not a good plan.

Also thinking that having a rifle in the next room when someone comes in the house to do harm not just to steal the “TV” ..your dead before your wife answered that noise wasn’t her.

I post on here occasionally about cold weather shooting, and never get a response. Like you Gunfighter I can't help myself, always training. I don't know for what, but I do know I'm too damn old to fire and maneuver. If the occasion demands I'll pick a FPL and fire. Where I live it is cold a lot. Need to know that effects things. Keep training.
I shoot way more subsonic than supersonic and temp is a,... Huge factor with those,... once you start reaching past 300yds.
Prepping for reactive only when loved ones are involved, is a fail to me.
While it's off topic, the larger issue is fitness. Combat is a cardio sport. You can shoot in the rain all you want.....if you can't get up and go when it's time to get up and go, it won't matter.

Also, the more fit you are the more resilient you'll be to inclement weather. Both mentally and physically.
Not off topic at all. No matter what, when guns have to be involved it requires all facets of mind, body, & tool/s.

When training, it's a year round practice schedule, every week.
It can become grueling, and you don't want to do it. It builds character and is a learning experience.
High gusting winds and snowing are difficult, but laying in the snow with freezing rain falling is a good challenge, and a definite character builder.
So after 25 yrs of it, ya get tired and bored with it, but still indulge from time to time as a reminder, but under better practice conditions.
But not always still fighting mother nature, to go shooting.
Remember to bring your chainsaw ya might have to cut your way out.
And forest fires present another danger, there are only a few drivable roads out, with no signs on most. Spend many hours up here, good weather and bad, climb above the fog and find sunshine, if you can get there. Watched St Helens erupt from many miles away, then the ash started falling, for days, what a mess.

Attachments

• 20220226_131447.jpg
    20220226_131447.jpg
    788.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 20240315_121154.jpg
    20240315_121154.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 51
  • 20211125_114500.jpg
    20211125_114500.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: MadDuner
I live in Utah, where the weather requires you to either bring a bikini or snow suit, so if you like shooting, you will adjust as necessary.

Colorado was the same. Shooting isn’t just a hobby for me.

I haven’t done "fun-only" shooting until recently as I’m taking my youngest boy out every month.

One thing I will say for those who don’t shoot a lot, but are hunters, is that doing some rifle training in the fall/winter in the mountains will only help you when it comes time for hunting season. You can wring a lot of potential problems out with your rifle/optic/ammo/sling/bipod/tripod, boots, pack, headgear, ear pro, etc.

This is why I schedule and shoot courses in inclement weather every year.

Last edited:
Reactions: cdq8047 and TACC
That is funny. There are many different kinds of shooters here, now. Plus, the Hide did not start out as a sanctuary.
High speed, is not me.

Around here almost all the outdoor ranges that I know of are closed when it's raining or bad weather so that kind of limits things.
Being in the whole suburbia thing where you can't just go "shoot outside".

I go to Saturday evening Mass, so I shoot every Sunday morning hot or cold, rain or shine. About 50 weeks a year.

I did not shoot during the last ice storm. It makes little sense to risk life and limb getting to the range in order to train to save my life.

I have learned for example that my snow gloves make running my 870 very hard. But ARs work better in cold weather.

Although no bad guy has shown up during inclement weather, I have transferred the lessons to black bear and wild hog hunts.

BMT

I enjoy doing things in inclement weather the best.
It’s just how I’m wired.
Maybe I just don’t know any better after growing up in ND?

Hiking in the rain? Awesome.

Riding quads in the dunes while the wind is howling and driving the sand? Awesome!

Snow skiing in a blizzard? The best!

Shooting in the wind or rain? Awesome!
Best and worst part about shooting in the rain?
Getting trapped behind a flash flood and needing to wait it out before heading home.
Keep shooting!

I go shoot and train when it’s hot out as well. (Arizona desert hot)
While yes, it is uncomfortable.
It also drives home the fact that if a guy ever has to rejoin the two-way range - he won’t get to pick perfect weather. Everybody needs practice shooting past the mirage!

Funny someone mentioned hunting, because to me it's sort of the same. "This is the best time to hunt", "this is the best weather, wind, moon, tide, solar flare condition to hunt". Great, but THESE are the days I CAN hunt.

I assume most people's shooting is the same way, they go when they can, weather is a secondary thought.

From 2005-2016, I was in Finland 2-4x per year, sometimes living there for a year, so you shoot in weather that is hard to find in the US unless you live near the US-Canadian border in the Midwest or Alaska.

24LahdessaPauliSuomi1_zps16668884.jpg

Suomessa3921_zpsc76e151b.jpg

bd542f92-f9c7-4254-912a-3f5744539ce6_zpsc2bc7caf1_zps6f247305.jpg

I recently learned a lot about the differences between three scopes when I shot at night (7pm) this January in MN during a pretty weird FOG event.

Like, soup fog.

Strangest darn weather this year.

Anyway, you can learn a lot about your equipment in crap conditions.

Here’s a weird weather/scope story:
I was out at the 100yd range at my local club. It was nighttime under giant floodlights (we can shoot until 8pm during the week).

And it was foggy as hell. Some snow was on the ground, but it was 34° or so…very warm for January in MN!!! Plus it was humid, 98-100% relative humidity.

I’m sure you’ve driven in fog before. Remember when you try your highbeams in fog? Well that’s what the range was like that night.

It was incredibly difficult to see, I shot like crap, but since I had three different guns with three different scopes along I decided to make lemonade out of lemons.

The harsh conditions really brought out the scope’s differences.

There was glare from the fog, mirage from the warm ground, dead calm, heat from the barrel, and god knows what else. The bullseyes were often wobbly and smeary and jumping. All this at only 100 yards! I felt like I was shooting F class! (OK what I imagine F class is like… I’ve never shot that)

The scopes were a Schmidt and Bender 5-25, a NF 4-32, and a vortex PST II 5–25. The NF was noticeably better than the S&B! And of course the Vortex lagged behind.

The NF just seemed to cut through the fog and mirage better and with better contrast. The S&B was recently purchased new.

Here’s my homemade target, shot with a Tikka 204 + NX8 4-32 off of an X-shaped sandbag and tripod. Started to Sharpie in the bullseye as I couldn’t effing see the yellow/red dot due to the mirage. Still shot ok, given the conditions.

Anyway, I learned some surprising things about weird weather and scopes. Glad I didn’t just pack it in.

A8320BC0-D22D-4F79-BB2C-0A7F0C6B6924.jpeg

Last edited:
15BA82C1-9737-4214-A502-5D255190C2D8.jpeg

In comparison, with a more accurate gun (CZ 204) and a PST II 5-25, this is how I shot. Way easier to shoot with that NX8 4-32 in those hellish conditions.

I enjoy doing things in inclement weather the best.
It’s just how I’m wired.
Maybe I just don’t know any better after growing up in ND?

Hiking in the rain? Awesome.

Riding quads in the dunes while the wind is howling and driving the sand? Awesome!

Snow skiing in a blizzard? The best!

Shooting in the wind or rain? Awesome!
Best and worst part about shooting in the rain?
Getting trapped behind a flash flood and needing to wait it out before heading home.
Keep shooting!

I go shoot and train when it’s hot out as well. (Arizona desert hot)
While yes, it is uncomfortable.
It also drives home the fact that if a guy ever has to rejoin the two-way range - he won’t get to pick perfect weather. Everybody needs practice shooting past the mirage!
I've always enjoyed inclement weather as these days most all venues that I frequent are almost or completely empty, do to same. The hidden reason may be long long ago, my target detection test happened when mother nature said hold my beer & watch this. I wanted to do well for a host of reasons and really put everything I had into it and aced the test, being the only one in that cycle to do so. First test of any kind I ever aced, in my life. Subconsciously I think that has followed me all my life as I've always enjoyed weather. At my age now, it might be a grasping thing, don't know.

I recently learned a lot about the differences between three scopes when I shot at night (7pm) this January in MN during a pretty heavy snow + FOG event.

View attachment 8402206
Yep, I've also found Mother nature will wring gear out quick compared to any chamber of commerce day.

We don’t get much cold weather down here, but it does rain quite frequently. I’d say that 50-75% of the prs style matches I have attended were shot in the rain. Of those, probably 1/4-1/3 had temps in the 40s. The matches don’t stop for weather- we shoot in the rain. I can remember a couple of matches where the biggest challenge was to stop shaking long enough to shoot (but just a couple). There have been a couple where the biggest challenge was avoiding becoming a heat casualty.

Beyond that, I hunt in the weather that is available. I’m not sure which is worse; processing a deer in the rain, or in 95+ deg heat. No, I’m sure if it. The heat is worse.

That said, when I’m going to the range, especially when I need to zero a rifle, I prefer a nice, calm day. I can do all sorts of stuff to acclimate my body to discomfort. When I’m at the range, I’m there to shoot.

And for the record, around here, Mother Nature hasn’t said “hold my beer” until it’s a cat 3 named storm.

Last edited:
Reactions: lash
This thread is good for some LOLs.

@brianf OP is a fool who thinks his hammer is the solution to every nail, including everyone else's nail.

PS, real gamers train in weather suck since matches don't get cancelled for weather short of a fucking tornado bearing down on the range. When I pay $300 plus total for a level 2 match I want to be able to perform no matter what.

Do you always shoot in good/perfect weather, or do you train in the worst mother nature has to offer in your A/O? I ask this because thinking back, most of the locals who tell me they are not gamer's, never seem to be shooting when mother nature says hold my beer & watch this.
Here it seems to be if its, <45*F, windy, raining, snowing, or after sunset or sunrise, shooting is off their table.
How is it in your A/O?
This time of year I'll hunt/ shoot in all weather. Otherwise I'll never get to get out shooting/ hunting. I've always trained in all weather. The only time I don't go out in all weather patterns is when the roads get too muddy thus damaging unnecessarily. Or when the game I'm hunting will hole up until the storms pass. Training days get stopped only when it gets dangerous. Like when a micro burst decided to touch down on Pomona PD's range. Another reason for me not to get out there training is when I'm conserving ammo due to a shortage. Then I'll only take higher probability shots while hunting.

I agree, but other than being wet and cold (maybe water droplets getting on your scope lens), rain hardly affects bullet flight. You would think it would, but I've shot a match in the pouring rain (MPA Spring Fling a few years ago) and my dope held perfectly. I was also the hero of the squad for having the only mat so we didn't have to lie in the mud on the prone stages.

I've been hot. I've been hypothermic cold. I've been wet, and sandy, and muddy, etc., etc., etc. I'm not 25. I don't seek discomfort, but I am well familiar with it. I don't seem to withstand it as easily at middle age as I did when young, but I've got no problem with it. I was fond of saying, "I love inclement weather. It's the best time to attack.", many years ago, but now I like sunny, dry, and 72 degrees with a slight wind at my six.

I agree, but other than being wet and cold (maybe water droplets getting on your scope lens), rain hardly affects bullet flight. You would think it would, but I've shot a match in the pouring rain (MPA Spring Fling a few years ago) and my dope held perfectly. I was also the hero of the squad for having the only mat so we didn't have to lie in the mud on the prone stages.

I've been hot. I've been hypothermic cold. I've been wet, and sandy, and muddy, etc., etc., etc. I'm not 25. I don't seek discomfort, but I am well familiar with it. I don't seem to withstand it as easily at middle age as I did when young, but I've got no problem with it. I was fond of saying, "I love inclement weather. It's the best time to attack.", many years ago, but now I like sunny, dry, and 72 degrees with a slight wind at my six.
I'll admit "glamping" seems more attractive all the time lol. A shooting mat is part of my gear, although I keep a wool blanket for easy set up in my rig.

This thread is good for some LOLs.

@brianf OP is a fool who thinks his hammer is the solution to every nail, including everyone else's nail.

PS, real gamers train in weather suck since matches don't get cancelled for weather short of a fucking tornado bearing down on the range. When I pay $300 plus total for a level 2 match I want to be able to perform no matter what.
I will say he’s consistent though

Every post and every thread he’s involved in, he has the same point of view.

Reactions: 308pirate
Not to parse words, but is a Hide not a sanctuary?
It use to be, but it started changing a little before scout then ramped up from there quickly. Like all things, when change happens the bad starts encroaching more & more. Then when fart15 types & the basement crowd started wondering in, the tone really changed. Now we have more reach around clubs than at anytime in the Hides history. One reason so many use the ignore button & its total count on here is so high.

99% of the time we are with our family:

at night in our own home
Store
Car
Restaurant

All those places are pistol only scenarios and they are all out of the weather.

The rest of the time they at school and us at work

Training with a AR or 26 pound 6.5 in the snow doesn’t help when a shooter shows up in 7-11. That’s pistol work.

Thinking when walking in a store buying a t-shirt with your son and a wacko starts off that the pimped out AR in the 3 day go bag in the trunk is going to help is not a good plan.

Also thinking that having a rifle in the next room when someone comes in the house to do harm not just to steal the “TV” ..your dead before your wife answered that noise wasn’t her.
There are all kinds of reasons why a defensive gun use could occur in foul weather. For us.

More likely: Camp/trail/trailhead. Less likely: Roadside/vehicle repair or failure, home repair.

Unknowns: No idea, they are unknown.

Where I live, it just does not get really cold that often. One morning this last season, it was about 34 F when I got there. By about noon, it was into the 50s.

I have hunted in the rain. The weather looked iffy. I was on public land looking for feral hog. Then it started to rain. I had a poncho over me and my backpack and AR. Then, it started to rain harder. And harder. I stood under a tree. I could see no sign. It didn't matter how "tough" I was, these hogs were not going to go out and feed in the rain.

So, I think it helps to know what the game animals are going to do with the weather. I would adapt to it but yes, I can endure weather in order to get the shot.

Last edited:
I guess it depends on your AO. Here in the PACNW it's cold in the winter, hot in the summer, and windy/ rainy most of the spring. So if you want to get out there then weather will always be an issue. Some of the best times are out in the snow anyways so that's not a big deal. The wind with gusts gets well above 25 mph not much game is out and fishing is tough. You kinda just get used to it if you're an outdoorsman. It's like being in the South, you get used to the insects, gator, and humidity.

Reactions: DFOOSKING and lash
Unknowns: No idea, they are unknown.
Many possibility's for defensive, but also offense. Most all animals drop their awareness in weather events, plus its much easier to mask your sound. The worst the weather the deeper most all drop their guard. Next weather event study people and most especially their patterns vs same in CoC days. The amount of so called contacts, between LE & most peeps drops like a rock, during same as well.

Reactions: Camelfilter

Not to be jerk, but this sounds like something someone with no imagination or so-called "experience" would say. Not saying you're wrong. Just that it seems that "trouble" has a habit of finding us in the strangest of scenarios.

I have a miniscule amount of LE experience and I can say from that very little time, truth is stranger than fiction with regard to how situations escalate. When, where, why... you just can't make some of this stuff up.

As to being prepared... there are two sides to that coin: a person who is ready for a fight makes a poor choice of victim. That said, sometimes you stumble upon something (in progress or otherwise, alone or while with your loved ones, etc.) that was not expecting you to show up, and now the situation is what it is.

Last edited:
From 2005-2016, I was in Finland 2-4x per year, sometimes living there for a year, so you shoot in weather that is hard to find in the US unless you live near the US-Canadian border in the Midwest or Alaska.

24LahdessaPauliSuomi1_zps16668884.jpg

Suomessa3921_zpsc76e151b.jpg

bd542f92-f9c7-4254-912a-3f5744539ce6_zpsc2bc7caf1_zps6f247305.jpg
Man, I missed that photo of your AR 10, I humped one for a short while. What a difference it was over an M14e2. Far more controllable in F/A, w/that straight line recoil, and much liter. Back in 1979 -1980 found a semi auto for sale, an did a form 1 to convert her. One of the few title II's I regret selling.

• Wow
Reactions: LRRPF52

How is it in your A/O?
I routinely shoot during inclement weather...rain, snow, cold, wind, etc. If I didn't, I wouldn't get to shoot during the winter. New England coastal weather is always funky. I like to shoot too much to let the weather get in the way.

Inclement weather teaches you a lot about your technique, your mettle and your equipment

Last edited:
I routinely shoot during inclement weather...rain, snow, cold, wind, etc. If I didn't, I wouldn't get to shoot during the winter. New England coastal weather is always funky. I like to shoot too much to let the weather get in the way.

Inclement weather teaches you a lot about your technique, your mettle and your equipment
That’s so true come late oct if I don’t want to shoot in half ass weather on LI you can miss 5/6 weekends in a row.

Don’t look forward to it but no choice sometimes

Reactions: Ronws and Nik H
All that being said, game sometimes moves about after the rain is over or the snowing has stopped. So, it can still be worth getting out there during the inclement weather. The falling rain can knock your sent down and once you settle into position and provide less heat signature and aroma, you have a chance to blend in with the scenery. Or get in your blind, if you have one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Modoc and brianf
Man, I missed that photo of your AR 10, I humped one for a short while. What a difference it was over an M14e2. Far more controllable in F/A, w/that straight line recoil, and much liter. Back in 1979 -1980 found a semi auto for sale, an did a form 1 to convert her. One of the few title II's I regret selling.
That was my buddy’s in Finland. People have freaked out over the sear hole on it and told me to take down the pic before.

“Uh, it’s about 6000 miles away so I don’t think it will be an issue.” Pretty easy to get a machinegun collector’s license there, at least at the time. That one was semi auto though. No real point to having a mag-fed 7.62 NATO select-fire rifle, other than collection purposes. Did you have a Sendra lower?

Reactions: brianf
When 9mm is .16 a round, 5.56 is .19 and 7.62x39 is available at the hardware store for cheap again, I'll shoot in whatever temperature it is outside. Until then, I go to relieve stress, confirm my zero, and practice on those blue helmet targets.
Lets Stop Brandon