• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

So apparently global warming also causes suicide and depression

CMP70306

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
So I stumbled across this one this morning, basically they are claiming that increasing temperatures due to global warming cause an increase in the suicide rate.

https://usat.ly/2uJebzO

That is some amazing statistical analysis. So, to pull this off we link one trend with another and claim that they must be related without really looking into causality?

Temperatures are rising. Suicide rates are rising. The two must be linked. Dammit, George Bush and Donald Trump!

I guess by the same token, since gun ownership and NRA memberships are rising, they are causing increased rates of suicide. Dammit, NRA.

On the other hand, colon cancer rates and deaths have been decreasing:

https://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/colorect.html

Hmmm, not sure how to explain that.

Maybe all these trends are unrelated.

On top of that - I'm still not sure if temperatures are really rising. I'm not trying to be a right-wing skeptic or anything, but have rising temperatures been confirmed by any unbiased scientific groups?

I know we are told that they are rising but the best proof put forward was by a science group that felt the need to fudge the numbers to continue getting grant money. Al Gore certainly thinks they are rising (while living comfortably in a huge energy-inefficient course and flying around the world on a huge carbon-emissions-spewing jet), but his predictions of the end of the polar ice caps and the demise of the polar bears haven't really come to fruition.

I don’t know if temperatures are rising, but...When I was a kid, Christmas morning consisted of waking up early, busting ice on the cattle troughs, then opening gifts. Now, 30 years later, i wear short sleeves and shorts on christmas.

It is true that the first actual polar bear death occurred under G.W. :ROFLMAO: Damn, those reliable un-hackable mechanical voting machines.:mad:

We are normally land somewhere between -20 and 60 degrees at Christmas.

Last edited:
I guess by the same token, since gun ownership and NRA memberships are rising, they are causing increased rates of suicide. Dammit, NRA.

On the other hand, colon cancer rates and deaths have been decreasing:

https://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/colorect.html

Hmmm, not sure how to explain that.
It's pretty obvious that more guns and more NRA members would result in less colon cancer and deaths. Gun powder does the body good! (By propelling lead in the opposite direction).

I don’t know if temperatures are rising, but...When I was a kid, Christmas morning consisted of waking up early, busting ice on the cattle troughs, then opening gifts. Now, 30 years later, i wear short sleeves and shorts on christmas.

So you grew up in North Dakota and busted ice for the cattle on Christmas day.
Retired and living in Miami, no ice.
Hmmmmmm, yep that's global warming if I've ever seen it. :p:p:D:p:D

I wear a speedo on Christmas day. It keeps the neighbors from visiting.

My thought is, who gives a fuck? Yes, temps may be rising by fractions of a degree. The earth is 5,000,000,000+ years old. The temps have fluctuated WILDLY in those short few years. How long has man been here, a couple million? The earth is gonna be just fine. It will be around long after the human race is extinct.

So you grew up in North Dakota and busted ice for the cattle on Christmas day.
Retired and living in Miami, no ice.
Hmmmmmm, yep that's global warming if I've ever seen it. :p:p:D:p:D

I wear a speedo on Christmas day. It keeps the neighbors from visiting.

Unfortunately, both occur(ed) in or around Victoria Texas... Then again, it snowed on Christmas Day in 2004. from Houston to Brownsville...

Last edited:
Man's presence as a thinking species is but a blink in the eye of astrophysical time. We take ourselves far too seriously.

The correct term for all perceptions depends on the concept of anthropocentrism. We, the people, are not the center of any universe.

That is all for now... Hic...

My thought is, who gives a fuck? Yes, temps may be rising by fractions of a degree. The earth is 5,000,000,000+ years old. The temps have fluctuated WILDLY in those short few years. How long has man been here, a couple million? The earth is gonna be just fine. It will be around long after the human race is extinct.
-
Yes all True and earth will be just fine, ( but I think ??? ) this is the 1st time in Man's written history on Earth, where there is a premeditated plan with like minded ruling governments to Tax the entire inhabitants of Earth for there ' Carbon / Co2 ' , with hopes of moving 'carbon credits' to Licensed buying and selling of them, with goal of a 'one earth regulating body' moving carbon credits to a world traded commodity .

If you want to have fun, plot the temperature for a bracket of that day +/- a bit for about 100 years and you'll see it tends to go in repeating patterns over many years hotter then colder.

Happens here in NTX all the time, you'll get a spell of really hot summers then a spell of cooler summers, then the cycle repeats.. Sometimes you'll get a spell of really cold icy winters then a spell of mild winters, then repeat.

I could go for a cool summer and a cold winter right about now...

for you Texas members . talking of ' Heat ' . I remember 30+ years ago being down in Dallas in early 80 or 1981 . And bought a T-shirt with the statement printed on it saying something to the affect of , ..." I Survived The Summer of 1980 ". .
Was well over 30+ days in a row over 100 Deg. F .. was a crazy killer brutal heat wave every day and so hard on Elderly especially that there were several deaths . It just about killed my ass also, as I was straight-in from Oregon climate .
-

for you Texas members . talking of ' Heat ' . I remember 30+ years ago being down in Dallas in early 80 or 1981 . And bought a T-shirt with the statement printed on it saying something to the affect of , ..." I Survived The Summer of 1980 ". .
Was well over 30+ days in a row over 100 Deg. F .. was a crazy killer brutal heat wave every day and so hard on Elderly especially that there were several deaths . It just about killed my ass also, as I was straight-in from Oregon climate .
-

That wasn't the really hot year.
There was a year not too far back where we basically had 100 days of 100 degree+ weather in a row... that was fun
Came close to that another couple years as well.
Just got done with getting up to 110 here last week, but so far we've only got a bit over 2 weeks in the 100+ in a row then it cooled off into the practically cold high 90s.

Mark Twain: "You have lies, damn lies and statistics."

I studied statistics and probability and since doing that oh, decade and a half ago or so I can say I haven't seen ONE statistical study presented on the news that was relevant. Typically they give no info, but if you go and dig into and get the info on how they acquired their data set, you'll find it was biased from the start. Most are done by people looking for a particular outcome. For instance, I could put together one that shows statistically that 90% of Americans favor severe gun control. I can do it where 90% favor no gun control at all. So which one you wanna pay me for? That's the discussion taking place that gives birth to the "statistical analysis" the propaganda stations do.

There are right ways to do it, and ways to calculate error, etc., but it's seldom done.

But saying "a new study says" or "statistically" or "mathematically speaking" makes people buy into what follows next. Most people aren't math savvy and nobody can really ward off the bullshit 24/7. So it lends false credibility to a statement so as to make it sound more credible and sound.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
84% of statistical studies are made up to suit the end result desired.

That wasn't the really hot year.
There was a year not too far back where we basically had 100 days of 100 degree+ weather in a row... that was fun
Came close to that another couple years as well.
Just got done with getting up to 110 here last week, but so far we've only got a bit over 2 weeks in the 100+ in a row then it cooled off into the practically cold high 90s.

Austin had 90 consecutive days at 100+ in 2011. That’s the record there. The fam and I moved back to Texas, from the Bay Area of California, in June of 2011. Someone once said “live in California once, but leave before it makes you soft.” I was sure we moved too late once we arrived...

If it gets too hot - people freak out
If it gets too cold - people freak out

We are not the center of the universe.

Association not causation.
....what ever do you mean.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG