• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

So as not to hijack the spotter/LRF thread...

rwleonard

Private
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2004
Virginia
I would REALLY like to have a decent spotting scope/LRF combo, with enough magnification to see g-hogs at distance and a sufficiently narrow laser that can be aimed well enough to hit a ground hog at 800+ yards.

Too much to ask for at any reasonable price?

Wouldn't hurt to have an inclinometer and compass in it, too.

If I win a lottery I'll fund the development!

Rick

Leica makes one. Just by the name you know it isn't cheap, or inexpensive. Keep in mind you don't necessarily always have to range the g-hog himself. You can bracket him with things you are able to range in front of and behind him. My brother has one and it was quite capable of ranging small rocks out to 800 yds. The big trick with it is to be able to keep the laser on target and not things around it.

I suggest you call cameraland and see what they say about them. Or any of the other optics vendors here on the hide. They might offer up a different brand that costs less and does more.