• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

So has anyone bought the new Remington 700 Magpul rifle?

rookie7

Outdoorsman
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2009
Georgia
No, I am not in need of stoning. I realize Remington is very late to the party in this facet of the game, but has anyone bought one yet? I also have read all of the accounts of poor quality control from Remington as of late. Maybe a few good ones come out of there. I hope.

So has anyone bought one? How does it shoot? Review?

It's the new rifle they offer in .308 and .260, cerakoted, 5R barrel, threaded, large bolt knob, all nestled in a Magpul 700 stock.

With all the new and old options in the plus or minus $1K bracket i.e. Howa, Bergara, Ruger, Tikka, etc. there's no talk of Big Green.

Thanks!

I just saw this on the Remington website. I've been thinking about getting a Magpul stock for the 700 SPS that I just won in a gun club raffle. I'm working on getting some glass for it first, but I like the look of the Magpul stock for the money. Think I might go that way.

i have one, I have only sighted it in so far. I got it for right at 900 with tax. Seemed like a decent deal for what you get.

just through a vortex scope on i and a timney trigger to keep it budget friendly

Last edited:
i have one, I have only sighted it in so far. I got it for right at 900 with tax. Seemed like a decent deal for what you get.

just through a vortex scope on i and a timney trigger to keep it budget friendly

You should have bought my savage. It would have saved you years of frustration and $.

I'm only half kidding.

Just go shoot the rifle and find out what factory ammo it likes buy a lot of it and shoot the hell out of it. Try some Hornady, Federal Gold medal match, Prime, 168, 175,178.

I'd shoot it for a couple hundred rounds of cheap stuff, brass, 150's FMJ.

If you reload, than replicate a GMM load. 42.8 gn 4064 IMR? for 168 eld-m or 43.1 for 178 eld-m.

I'd strongly recommend a load work up first!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I used to be a huge Remington fan, but then I discovered Tikka. You can get a Tikka CTR for the same money as the new Remington 700 with Magpul stock and there's just no comparison IMO.

I bought one in .260 and so far I am really pleased with it. I paid around $875 out the door and put a Vortex PST gen 1 FFP on it that I had. Just finished load work up on it and it is sub MOA consistently, much better when I take my time and follow fundamentals. Only thing I replaced was the trigger, I installed a Triggertech, which is awesome. I had a Magpul hunter stock on a .243 already, so I had a few magazines. They both have been flawless with both the 5 and 10 rounders. Farthest I've had it to so far is 650 but it was able to maintain MOA at that distance. I have since installed a muzzle brake, the Hellfire.

Fella in the class I was in this past weekend had a 700 he put in the Magpul stock...so not the OEM offering, but pretty much the same thing. I wasn't too impressed with the stock nor was the instructor. There are better (read: more expensive) options for an adjustable stock.

I fall into the category of adding a magpul stock onto sps-v. For the money, It can't be beat and allows you to get detachable magazine for much less money than the competitors. Also the stock offers a lot of capability as far as adjustment, aluminum bedding block, free float, and places to add on rails/slings. No, its not a mcmillan, manners, b&c, or hs precision, but I knew that when I went to buy it. It was my first bolt action and I only spent $700 on the gun itself. Its definitely an improvement over that stock!!!!

I've looked, and just being honest its the same warmed over barreled action in a Magpul stock. No innovation or attempt at it anyway. It did not inspire confidence to purchase knowing there are better options at the same price point.

Just don't see the point of buying one over a Tikka CTR as has already been mentioned.

I appreciate the input. I really was curious to see if Remington was putting out quality again.

I can see where the rifle wouldn't appeal to this crowd much, but it is a historic design that could appeal to new shooters.

With that said, I'm about to find out if all the hype about Tikka is accurate. Got one on the way. Should have it in hand in a few days.

I've got the Tikka CTR in 260, and love it, great rifle. Only complaint is the stock's a bit flimsy... With the remington you get an ok stock, and you get a platform that is very customizeable. Lot's of parts and accessories for the 700 platform. Just go look at the price of an extra magazine on the CTR... Like you said about the remington, a historic design, and would be good for new shooters. Any reports on accuracy/quality from somebody who's bought one?

Of course there are, but for the price the Magpul stock isn't a bad option.

I'm going to tender another option in this price range. Bergara HMR. Ive seen them as low as $833. I'm looking at that now for possible purchase, and basically its what Remington should be looking to do with their rifles.

bringing this thread to the top..

Looking at this Remington/Magpul appeals to me for osme of the reaosn y'all mention

I like the idea of the magpul magazines
I like the price point (new to bolt actions)

I currently have an Armalite AR10 18" (started as a 10T) and use it for hunting, it's heavy!!! So I want to get into a bolt action for under 1K that I could use for hunting and also use for target shooting at 600 yards or so, my AR10 is "capable" but not consistent even with high end ammo...

Advice?

So I want to get into a bolt action for under 1K that I could use for hunting and also use for target shooting at 600 yards or so,
Advice?

Howa 1500 HCR in 6.5 Creedmoor. Less than $1000 out the door and outclasses anything Remington makes.

Don’t discount Remington. People like to repeat what they read. I have shot and I own several remington 700 5R rifles. They all shoot great. I have a tikka ctr as well. Neither is better than the other.

I bought my first ctr in stainless for $775 a little over a year ago. At the time it was the better value for the dollar. Now with the tikkas hitting a $1000 or more, the Remington rifles are looking like a good buy as a 5r can be had for $850.

Reactions: Thecelt