• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

So I bought my first real rifle...

CoronaGold

Private
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2013
I bought a used 700 police in 308 on gunbroker. I have never handled the hs precision stock, but the stock on this gun does not strike me as a $400 stock. The stock has a homemade paint job. How can I determine whether this is the stock that should be on a 700p? Thanks.

The factory Remington HS stocks had Remington written on the butt pad, well at least the ones I own/owned.

Does the stock look like this?
REaQbCm.jpg

That looks like an HS stock. I've never seen a 700P that was stainless, and that stock looks like it came in that color.

That looks like an HS stock. I've never seen a 700P that was stainless, and that stock looks like it came in that color.
Well, that rifle is a SPSS with the stock from my 6mmREM, it's the Police stock or M24(non adj.).

Looks like a Remmy 700 SPS with an HS stock .... to confirm whether its the same stock that comes with a 700P, you'll need to measure the palm swell and length of the forend. Remmy sells/has sold a number of platforms with HS stocks - the P will have a larger palm swell and longer forend. Don't have the measurements handy, but I'll post again if I find them again.

Looks just like a SS 5r dropped in a different stock.... Just a thought. I've owned P's and 5r's and I've never seen a P look like that

Does it look like this? If so it "could" be a 700P. This stock is a HS Precision. You will have to run the serial number with Remington to know what the action started out as.

This is the exact same rifle as above, but with the black spray paint job taken off. It has some kinda DuraCoat camo job over the factory black that was very durable. I bought this used on AR15.com (actually the sellers for sale original pic above, trying to pull a fast one on me saying it was as new) but knew what it was when we meet face to face as the paint scratched off on the barrel and stock when I looked at it. The barreled action has a different finish on the 700 PSS (what 700P's use to be called, this one is from 1994 when they still called them PSS) then what the non P or PSS models have. It was a great price so I bought it anyways and has been a great shooter ever since.

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay and thanks for the great response. Here are a couple photos. One from the previous owner and one I took after mounting the scope. I am pleased with the way it shoots and the contours of the stock are the same as you guys are describing. (And yes, it has a HUGE palm swell which put me off until I actually fired it. Like it a lot.)

The biggest thing that made me nervous about how it might shoot was that I can easy see where bedding compound was used on the receiver. I was of the impression that the receiver was factory fitted in the aluminum bedding and further glass/acrylic/accumpucky was not appropriate. But if it shoots right, it shoots right. Any comments about that would be great too.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378267391.821174.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378267427.683510.jpg

Glass bedding can only make it better. Actually I would recommend it on any stock, aluminum insert or not!

The actions weren't fitted into the stock from the factory, they were just screwed together. Glass bedding is an improvement as long as its done right.

I concur with that. It certainly never hurts, at least with consistent group locations, not necessarily group sizes.

Looks like a 700P to me. Ignore the bedding, that stock does have an aluminum bedding block but glass bedding is always beneficial on them assuming it's done correctly.

Thanks. I learned a little about bedding and feel even better about my buy.

I think it shoots very well. My five shot groups were about .750 inches at 100 yards. I suspect any future improvement will come from the operator/hand loader learning and improving his game.

I just bedded the recoil lug on my 700p and it made vast improvements over stock.. and a trigger upgrade made it/me keep it a constant .75 or better! and holds sub out to 600yd. They are great guns good find and buy on your end!