• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

So I came across a Montana 99 action, what can I do with it?

BradZ

Just Brad
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2012
The Sticks (SW PA)
Couple months ago I bought a barreled action, Montana 99, chambered in 300Win. The story I got is he had it barreled, started bedding a stock and passed away. It's not a good job of bedding but it's fixable with a lot of sanding and refinishing the stock. There's no finish on the action or the barrel but there's some left over bedding compound built up as well as some modeling clay stuffed inside. So I'm going to have to blast that, but oh well.

I got to thinking maybe I'd just lose the barrel and have a nice tactical rifle built out of it but there doesn't seem to be any kind of aftermarket stuff for them. McMillen appears to make a stock but that's the only one I could find. I'm told it's a standard winchester base but 2 piece ones don't fit and I can't find a one piece local.

I haven't heard anything bad about these, just wondering if anybody can point me toward the after market parts for these little guys or who might work on them. Nice stock and some detachable mags, seems like it would make a pretty decent little gun.

I'm really interested as well. This is on my short list of actions moving forward.

I have one in 358win for a hunting rifle. It's ok and shoots amazing for a bigger bored light gun. Not really any better than a 70
other than a better bolt realease. It's the only crf I've ever had that left a fired case in the chamber... I recycled the bolt and it pulled it but wierd none the less.