• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes So I Have a 20 MOA Rail and...

Eoddave27

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2018
Bel Air, MD
So I have a 20 MOA rail on my rimfire rifle. My upcoming rimfire match will go out to 400yards and I would like to get a little more elevation out of my scope. 30 MOA rails can be found for my rifle but they are twice the cost of the 20 MOA rail that I already have. Has anyone experimented with using flexible aluminum shim stock to increase the elevation on their rail. If so about how much did you need to add to get another 10-15 MOA out of your rail. If this was on a centerfire rifle where recoil was a concern I would probably just such it up and buy a rail but I thought with a rimfire shimming May be an option.

Well I can say I used soda can side shims on a muzzleloader, and it worked well. YMMV.

Reactions: Eoddave27
If I needed extra elevation I would look into Burris signature zee rings with the inserts before shimming the base. Not that shimming won’t work but might as well do it right.

Reactions: Gohring65
I wouldn’t shim a base unless I could get the front in the same plane.

If I needed extra elevation I would look into Burris signature zee rings with the inserts before shimming the base. Not that shimming won’t work but might as well do it right.

Do they even make those for 30mm tubes?

The rings, yes. But now that you mention it I’m not sure they make the different MOA inserts in 30mm. I’ve only used the 1” versions. I’d have to do some research.

I have a 20 MOA base on my Anschutz 64MPR and MDT Chassis. If you use the rings in the link below, you can get another 20 MOA without using shim stock but they aren't cheap.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/7...actical-signature-picatinny-style-rings-matte

I didn't get them for my Anschutz but have used them on other rifles. I have a Vortex PST Viper 5-25X Gen II on the rifle. It's zeroed in at 50 yards and I can get about 18 MIL additional elevation with the turret. The MRAD reticle will give me another 10 MILS. That's using regular rings.

With that said, I can dial in a maximum 18 mils of elevation and use the reticle for another 7 mils of holdover to get me to 400 yards.

I've attached the JBM ballistics for my rifle. Don't laugh cause I have the range in 1 yard increments. I'm kind of fussy when it comes to being on target.

Hope that helps.

Attachments

• Anschutz 64 MPR Vortex PST Viper FFP Gen II 5-25X 50 Yard Zero LABRADAR 20181105.pdf
    232.9 KB · Views: 16