• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

so I just bought a sps tactical 223

dbateman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2010
Mt Isa QLD, Australia
so I just went down the gun shop to buy some cast projectiles for my 30-30 and there it was a sps tactical so I said can I have a look at it

and it looks just like I expected it to , well from what I have heard on hear so I say to the sale guy how much and he says X and I say nope to much I will give you Y and he thinks about it for a min and says yeah ok

so now I own a sps 223
smile.gif

I have done a bit of research and it appears most of these will shoot 70gr bullets very well ... anyone have any experience

I am looking at upgrading to an MCM A5 as soon as I free up a bit more money
what I would like to know is what bottom metal /dm set up is good most of what I could find was a bit old I would like to go with ten rnd dm's ?

so now I just need to wait 28 day's for my permit to come threw .....stupid laws

I will come back and add more to this once I get the rifle in my hot little hands
so range report and pics to come

thanks guy's and girls
smile.gif

Re: so I just bought a sps tactical 223

I thought 10 days blew!!! Check out R&D Precision DBM he is currently out of stock right now but they are just as good if not better then Badger for a lot less. He goes by HateCA on here.

Fantastic rifle mate, I love mine. I fitted an AICS straight onto it and a sound mod. I stick with the 69gr SMK's which seem to suit the 1:9 very well. Although its only a 20" barrel I've had great results out to 800 yards (when its not been too windy!). Good luck with yours.

75 grain Hornadys work well in my 1/9 Milspec. With a new stock you are going to love that rifle.

5 rounds of 69 SMK with 25.3 varget OAL 2.250” LC-09 brass and Winchester primers = .33” ctc in my Rem Tactical last week.

I have also found 70g berger vld's and 77g noslers/smk's to shoot well. 75 a-max's didnt fair well in mine but others have had success.

i guess i take it for granted buying a gun and taking it home the same day. its all of about a 5 minute process to buy a gun. one phone call and fill out a little bit of paper work and done...

im sure you'll love the rifle...in about a month
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sackett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i guess i take it for granted buying a gun and taking it home the same day. its all of about a 5 minute process to buy a gun. one phone call and fill out a little bit of paper work and done...

im sure you'll love the rifle...in about a month
wink.gif
</div></div>

Same here in PA and one of the things I love about the State having moved from NJ.

Best of luck with your new purchase. Am looking for a 223 myself and am anxious to hear how it works out for you.

Just picked one up for the wife and son on Tuesday. Dropped it into one of the B&C M40 stocks and put a Shilen trigger in it. Took it out to the range today (clear and cold at around 34 degrees). The thing absolutely loves my home-rolled 77 gr SMK (loaded for my AR's) loads. Consistently sub MOA (a couple of 5-shot groups were in the .2's at 100). No joy with the 75 gr AMAX though. Shot one group and one group only. Seven inches center-to-center with slight keyholes evident. It shot 55 gr Nosler BT's into sub MOA groups too, but not as tight as the SMK's. I'm happy with it and my wife loves it. Had her ringing 10-inch steel at 500 yards with a big grin on her face!

Get that new stock as soon as you can swing it. That Hogue overmold is a must-replace item! I'm thinking about the CDI Precision bottom metal for this one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scoop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get that new stock as soon as you can swing it. That Hogue overmold is a must-replace item! I'm thinking about the CDI Precision bottom metal for this one. </div></div>

Good plan

My wifes SPS Tac shoots the 77 SMKs like a mofo.....try 24 grains of Benchmark and rock on.....

thanks again for the input guy's so I was thinking about the scope a ST-10
fixed 10 power I would like to go out to 1000 yrd's with it one day but mostly around 600yrd's and do a bit of varmint work
I know 1000yrd's may be pushing it with this set up but hey I wana try

do you all think it is enough scope , I think it will be ok just want any opinion's

so I guess I will need a moa base will 20 moa base get me to 1000yrd's who make's a good base I was thinking about uso as well but they are pretty dear so
I was looking at Seekins who else makes a good moa base

rings ? uso...... idea's

still waiting on paperwork this sucks , cant wait to get it to the range

Go with a Nightforce or Badger 20-30 MOA base and never look back, if the zero is high at 100, then hold under...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go with a Nightforce or Badger 20-30 MOA base and never look back, if the zero is high at 100, then hold under... </div></div>

Why would you ever put a 20 to 30MOA rail on a 223 with a 20" barrel? Go with a steel EGW mount with zero cant at half the price that will fill the potential of your rifle much better.

Here are some groups I shot this past Monday with my 223 SPS Tactical. My SPS has a B&C stock and I lightened the trigger a bit. The groups were shot at 200yds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 30378</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go with a Nightforce or Badger 20-30 MOA base and never look back, if the zero is high at 100, then hold under... </div></div>

Why would you ever put a 20 to 30MOA rail on a 223 with a 20" barrel? Go with a steel EGW mount with zero cant at half the price that will fill the potential of your rifle much better.</div></div>
Because I like to shoot beyond the accepted "capability" of a weapon... to do so, a canted base is needed... 75 gr AMAX over 8208xbr will do fine out of a 1:9 twist 20" tube...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 30378</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go with a Nightforce or Badger 20-30 MOA base and never look back, if the zero is high at 100, then hold under... </div></div>

Why would you ever put a 20 to 30MOA rail on a 223 with a 20" barrel? Go with a steel EGW mount with zero cant at half the price that will fill the potential of your rifle much better. </div></div>
Personally, I split the difference and got an EGW with a 20 MOA cant for my .223.

nice shooting rdl65 thanks for posting the pic

thank you guy's for the help keep it coming if you have any more idea's

I finally got my 223 all together so here it is , and yes I know the rings could be lower .
P1000600.jpg

I will be getting a Mcm A5 stock for it and new bottom metal at some point in not to distant future .

P1000592.jpg

P1000602.jpg
I have loaded up some 77SMk's I went for a quick shot the other day and it seemed to like them , I have tomorrow off so I am going to the range should have a bit of a report .

Good luck and be safe at the range. I love my SPS Tact in 308 and sure the 223 version is just as fun.

What do you plan on doing with it? Straight target? Varmit?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbateman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
P1000602.jpg
</div></div>

Nice shell holders. Where did you get those?

JCH I got the loading blocks from Tom here on the Hide

his handel on here is Tomekeuro85

here is a link to his web site

The loading block are very good heavy duty is an understatement , he will make what ever you need .

I plan on doing mostly target work with it and a bit of vermin shooting as well I seem to want to go rabbit shooting for some reason , I didn't get to the range today I will try and get out on Tuesday so I will update this thread then

Those are the nicest loading blocks I've ever seen.
Make my Sinclair derlin block look this $hit!

From an economic standpoint, is it cheaper to shoot .223 loads over .308? To me the answer is not so obvious, as many prefer the .308 because dollar for dollar, the claim is, the .308 is more accurate for the money.

I am considering the pruchase, as I would like to shoot some targets in local group competition (high power) and I am at a cross roads as to ammo choice.

My SPS T .223 is shooting the 55 HP Sierras really well with Benchmark. Looks like I need to try some of the heavies.

The blocks are super! I gotta get one in .223 and one in .243 next. Tom is a great guy to deal with too!!

008-6.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DRAGON64</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> To me the answer is not so obvious, as many prefer the .308 because dollar for dollar, the claim is, the .308 is more accurate for the money.

</div></div>

Can you explain how the .308 is more accurate for the money?

If you are talking about longer ranges with wind drift, then yes. But from a pure accuracy point I don't think the 308 is more accurate than a .223 (not saying the 223 is more accurate either. I just don't think there is a difference.)

fw707 you should try some heavy's mine seems to like the 77smk's shot 69gr Lapua very well have not try 69gr SMK's yet but I have some ordered , I probably wont play with it to much it seems to like the 77's so I will just shoot them for now.

DRAGON64 223 is a bit cheaper to shoot than 308 , but the 223 is affected by wind drift a bit more so if you are going to be regularly shooting long range with the rifle a 308 may be a better choice .

I dont know where you are at with your shooting are you new to the sport a 308 may recoil a bit to much for you , 223 may be a better choice for learning the fundamentals on , you may also out grow the round in the future and need/want to step up to a larger caliber .

If I was to buy one rifle for long range target work it would be a 308 before a 223 .

The best thing you can do is try and get a bit of time behind both and see what you you think .

hope this helps a bit Dave

Thank you dbateman, your answer was very helpfull. As for recoil, I am practicing on the Mosin Nagant, which is helping me to reduce time in re-acquiring the target.

Here is the Southland, ranges further than 600yds are hard to come by without a bit of a drive, so the .223 maybe what I need to concentrate on... again, thank you!

I have recently acquired a SPS Tactical in .223 as well. I'm heading out for a prairie dog shoot this weekend and this will be going along. For the trip I tried some 55 V-maxes over Varget with great results! once I get back and all cleaned up I do plan on trying some heavier pills. Sounds like the 77 SMK will be included. I'm also planning to try some 68/69 grainers for shits and giggles;).