• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

So I was thinking... rifle changes and life problems

Another alternative is to carefully place your rifle on the street. Then run over it a few dozen times resulting in a new challenge to figure out why it won't shoot straight. You'll get to make tons of posts on here asking questions, trying out advice at the range, come back and complain it didn't work, get called an idiot for ruining your rifle. Eats up time thinking and tinkering. Cheaper than dumping a few grand into a new platform.

Couple of things... you’re not alone in this disease. Part of it is the “hobby” of improving stuff and wanting to try new things and the dopamine release is real too. I’m a chronic scope and rifle and caliber whore. I’m working on rounding out my collection but there’s always just “one more” or whatever. You say you enjoy your rifles , especially the Win Mag so keep it.

As for the AI 4-rifles-in-one concept... been there done that. I’ve owned both an AT and AXMC and sold them both. They were really handy before shouldered pre-fits on custom actions became a thing. I found that for me, even with the quick change system I didn’t really enjoy switching from 308 to 6.5 Creedmoor to a 6mm Comp caliber all in one range session. Same with a big magnum and ELR. It’s not practical, because of the scope zeroing issue you brought up. Some barrels barely had any poi shift but it was too much to keep track of without re-zeroing. For military choosing a specific caliber on the same platform based on mission might be handy but it didn’t replace multiple rifles that are gtg.

There are enough variables in precision shooting with cold bore/cold shooter, weather changes, etc. Adding a few barrel swaps in just adds to the chaos. Maybe a more organized person could handle it better but I prefer to be able to pull a rifle out, know it’s 100% zeroed, dial my dope and smack my target at any range. To your point of taking friends out too, obviously it makes that easier to have multiple rifles.

I ultimately decided to get a few custom actions I can switch Pre-fits out on with a barrel vice and hitch mount. Not as convenient as the AI but there’s something to be said for having the rifle in one caliber most or all the time.

By all means get the AT if you want, they are sweet rifles. I’ll probably get another one someday. I just want your expectations to be realistic if you get it.

BTW my wife will let me buy anything I want so.....

My wife is the same, I can buy what I want, she never says "no", BUT she's damn shrewd about it. It goes like this, "I don't care hon', I know you'll do the right thing..."

Reactions: steve123
OP, you are not alone, I call this Snipers Hide syndrome and find the more time I spend on this accursed site the more stuff I buy, or want or... I will tell you this, earlier this year I bought my first AI, an AT that shot amazing, then I had an opportunity to buy another "newer" AT so sold the not so old one to get a newer one with skins I really like. Right now I have two barrels, a 20" 308 AI bbl and a 26" SJA 6.5 Creedmoor barrel, the Creedmoor is the newest addition and I've been consistently shooting the best groups I've ever shot with that combo. But now I'm thinking of getting a magnum bolt face from TrophyHunter and spinning up a 7 SAUM barrel, but my buddy swears by his 25 Creedmoor that ballistically matches my 7 SAUM pretty far out, and just the other day I was pondering a 284 Win and whether or not I could get enough speed in my short action for that to be worth it... while thinking of all of this I realized that I love how good my 6.5 Creedmoor shoots so why on earth am I even thinking about another cartridge especially now when components are so hard to come by - it's because we have a disease for the "next shiny thing" that is a product of our consumerist society that specifically markets to our appetite for newer and better.

Specific to your dilemma - is the AI worth it? I absolutely think so. But they are heavy rifles so if you're thinking of taking one into the field to hunt with keep that in mind, I would not want to be carrying that 17lbs (with scope) beast around the Rocky Mountains where I hunt. But if you don't travel far from your vehicle when you hunt that may be a non issue for you.

Unless you plan on getting an AXMC then it seems logical you would keep your 300WM LRI as the AT is for short action cartridges. Just to help you with your decision, here's a couple pics

With 308 barrel
View attachment 7515474

With 6.5 Creedmoor barrel
View attachment 7515476
I've had several guns that I said I would never sell:

LH Desert Tech
LH original Tubb T2K
Nickel P7M13
Sig Rattler
etc, etc

I am pretty sure my AIAT will be with me at my funeral...

• Haha
Reactions: Glassaholic
Not that I am so special and everyone should care. Just wanted to let you know I gave into my innermost desire! LOL I purchased an AXSA from a gentleman here and hopefully will get it next week. I got rid of the Tikka and GA Precision and both of their optics. Now to figure out which scope... NEVER ENDS!

Reactions: Glassaholic
Yeah, I got one too! It's a vicious cycle this buying and selling. :)

Actually, maybe in my lifetime I've sold or traded 2 or 3 rifles to friends of mine. Not in the last 25+ years though. I like my toys too much to part with them.