• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

So, if you had a stripped upper...

lash

Swamp Rat
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2012
Central Florida
...what parts kit would you use to finish it? Or are they all so similar that it makes no difference. The first AR15 that I assembled, I just happened to use a JP parts kit. Is that really any better than say, an Aero kit or a Primary arms kit...a PSA kit?

I do not have the experience to know, but do know that there are some here that have assembled more ARs than Pelosi has had facelifts.

I have to believe that some kits are better than others, though the cost differences are minimal at most.

I use zev, Geissele, bcm, LMT, LWRCI the most. Just depends whose got what I need in stock. For ar10 I mostly use JP

if I’m building a budget gun aero is good.

Reactions: bigjake83 and lash
Last time I shared information on my stripped lower, I got kicked off Instagram...

Got pics though if you still want them.

I have only used Sionics LPK. Good stuff. Last time I bought one was during the 2013 panic. Everyone else was out of stock, but sionics had theirs ready to ship. IMO the trigger is a little too heavy, but manageable. The reset on it is pretty fantastic.

• Haha
Reactions: gsd1983 and lash
He's really poor.
Lol! Hey! I resemble that remark.

Plus I actually like projects. My frankengun .224V used all quality parts and is a tack driver, unlike many others I’ve seen here. I’m not talking about a super budget AR, I just need to know what is quality without arbitrarily paying for a brand name if it’s not needed.

I actually have extra cheap-o grips and triggers if I need to keep my street cred. 😜

It really depends on whether you want your build to be mated with a MIL or MOA optic. Some parts kits are metric whilst others measure in inches. The two aren’t compatible with each other so pick your glass first.
Lolol! If I was totally clueless I would have posted this in the stupid questions forum. As it is, I have one clue, so thanks anyway. 😉

Reactions: uffduh
Okay, I’ll bite. From where do you buy your individual pieces?
I use a few different sites and it can be related to the parts I am looking for. Here is a short list:

Wing Tactical
Rainier Arms
VSeven Weapons
Dark Hour Defense
AIM Surplus

Typically I compile a list of parts and search at that point. I am not locked into specific sites and usually buy from multiple during a build.

Reactions: lash
V seven has been my go to for last couple builds

Reactions: Halfnutz
I buy the parts kit without the trigger. The AR trigger is a POS.
I should have been more clear. I do not want or need a kit with the junk pistol grip and trigger kit that is usually included. I also realize that what’s left is merely springs, pins and levers, but machining tolerances and manufacturing methods matter in the parts too, if not especially so.

@Shooter McGavin, The CMMG kit looks about right. ETA: Wait just a dern minute! That’s for an AR10, not an AR15. You messing with me?

I’ll also take a look at the sites that @Mwalex posted.

Okay, I’m awake now. I just realized that some of you are posting about lower parts kits and last night and earlier this morning, even I slid into that easy mistake. Now that I’ve had my coffee I see that I may have been wasting everyone’s time.

Well, maybe somebody needed info about lower parts kits. I have time, so will shop around for the few upper parts I need.

Okay, I’m awake now. I just realized that some of you are posting about lower parts kits and last night and earlier this morning, even I slid into that easy mistake. Now that I’ve had my coffee I see that I may have been wasting everyone’s time.

Well, maybe somebody needed info about lower parts kits. I have time, so will shop around for the few upper parts I need.
Well that’s the first time anybody has wasted anyone else’s time on this forum...

Good job, Trailblazer! 🤣

• Haha
On the plus side, while rooting around and reading and looking, I discovered Larue MBT triggers. Just the right price to replace the garbage stock triggers when not needing a Geissele.

Reactions: sierracharlie338
Well, Jse dot com is the Journal of Scientific Exploration, so that’s not it. However it does seem like it has some great papers and articles that I’ll find interesting. JSE is also the Jamaican Stock Exchange and the Johannesburg Stock Exchange, but who’s counting.

I did find jsesurplus.com that might be worth a look. I’ll go check it out and let you know.

• Haha
Reactions: Lapuapalooza
On the plus side, while rooting around and reading and looking, I discovered Larue MBT triggers. Just the right price to replace the garbage stock triggers when not needing a Geissele.

So what is a good trigger for a build? Probably a two stage adjustable, but unsure .

Like lash, I have been picking up parts, some Aero, some from other places for a winter project. I believe what I have left to purchase is a trigger, and a grip. I am leaning towards a MOE magpul grip, undecided on triggers at this point, maybe Geisselle's will have a black Friday sale. One can hope... have been looking at the SSA-E but not sure this poor wants to spend that much on something that will only be used occasionally.

So what is a good trigger for a build? Probably a two stage adjustable, but unsure .

Like lash, I have been picking up parts, some Aero, some from other places for a winter project. I believe what I have left to purchase is a trigger, and a grip. I am leaning towards a MOE magpul grip, undecided on triggers at this point, maybe Geisselle's will have a black Friday sale. One can hope... have been looking at the SSA-E but not sure this poor wants to spend that much on something that will only be used occasionally.
Well, from what I’m seeing, the MBT2S is a solid two-stage trigger for basic builds that aren’t for precision only use. Plus they are well built to last. It seems that a number of guys here have found that very thing to be true. For $80, if it’s close to what I expect, it will be perfect to replace or use in place of the typical crap triggers on base ARs.

Reactions: SBRSarge and DIBBS
My last build I used Wing Tactical heavily for most of the parts, most were in stock and they didn't collect sales tax. I ended up with parts from the following:
Smoke Composites buffer tube/grip
CODA carbon hand guard
VSeven GI upper
Faxon match grade 416R nitride barrel in .223 wylde, gunner's profile
Velocity 4lb. trigger
Rubber City Armory titanium BCG with the POF roller pin (awesome BCG)
Odin Works adjustable buffer
Various VSeven bolts, pins, etc...
Hancock titanium muzzle brake (until the suppressor comes in).

Did a lot of research on individual components and I wanted a lightweight rifle but not an ultra-lightweight. Comes in just below 5 pounds and shoots extremely well, everything from 50gr to 77gr has worked so far. So I'd just ask what you want out of the rifle from a weight and performance standpoint and go from there. I'm currently in the hunt for a good ambidextrous lower as my AR10 has one (POF) and it's just slick. Very ergonomic and functional, easy to operate. I have a cheap mil-spec lower now that works just fine but the heart wants what the heart wants.

I had two issues with the build...had some tolerance stacking between the bolt and the barrel chamber but easily solved with a new bolt. Second, had a trigger issue but that's fairly rare and it's since been solved under warranty within a week. The advantage of going with a built upper is (hopefully) they check the headspace. Many offer that as an extra charge and may be worth it if you're not mechanically inclined or have tools.

Forgot to add...the VSeven uppers are already "squared" from them so no need to lap the upper. I had to freeze the Faxon barrel overnight and heat up the VSeven upper to get them to mate. The Faxon has a special slick coating on the barrel extension which makes it easier. This is what you want if you're going after a precision build.

M
I should have been more clear. I do not want or need a kit with the junk pistol grip and trigger kit that is usually included. I also realize that what’s left is merely springs, pins and levers, but machining tolerances and manufacturing methods matter in the parts too, if not especially so.

@Shooter McGavin, The CMMG kit looks about right. ETA: Wait just a dern minute! That’s for an AR10, not an AR15. You messing with me?

I’ll also take a look at the sites that @Mwalex posted.

My bad I didn’t realize that. Try this link

My bad I didn’t realize that. Try this link
Lol. I had no problem finding the AR15 upper parts from cmmg.

I was confused also because “parts kit” refers to a lower. I have never seen a parts kit for an upper.

That was my doing, but apparently there are such things, which I found out after starting this thread. 😄

Not much to an upper parts kit. The confusion started and ends with me. I was confused last night.

525180E3-A74E-42F3-8966-B1A1AECD5272.jpeg

I've built a few..... With the shortage of parts, you may have to take what you can get. Just because they take your money does not mean they have the part.... 'Caveat Emptor'..... Recently, because I wanted to complete a build in a timely manner... I placed orders at 3 different suppliers. I usually got one order in a timely manner. At that point I could cancel the other orders or let them eventually show up. Spare parts going into 2021 are not a bad idea. My best parts and quick shipping came from other members selling off their extra parts.

JMHO

Hobo

I have an upper that says it only has a shell deflector and can’t for the life of me figure out where the pushy pushy thing on the right hand side of your pic goes. Ordered the same kit and am not sure what to do with it. I lost the spring though so guess it doesn’t matter.

Lol! The pushy thingy is the forward assist for upper receivers that have one. Not all uppers have one.

I've use Aero Precision and Seekins for builds. Unless, building a quality competition/target rifle, I agree with a previous poster about just buying the complete upper or lower as needed rather than piecing one together.

Forward Controls. They're not cheap and they're generally in high demand, but you'd be hard pressed to find anything better.

What uppers parts are you talking about? Not many parts there - forward assist and dust cover is about it. If you’re talking about building an entire upper: barrel, gas block, gas tube, charging handle, BCG, etc then that’s a different story.

What uppers parts are you talking about? Not many parts there - forward assist and dust cover is about it. If you’re talking about building an entire upper: barrel, gas block, gas tube, charging handle, BCG, etc then that’s a different story.
Yeah thanks, kinda covered that once I woke up and paid attention. I am going to be shopping for all the parts soon, but depending upon final choice of cartridge and barrel type, I’ll shop at different places.

I have appreciated all of the advice and options offered though. It gives me pleasure to learn about new places/suppliers/vendors and products.

Finishing lowers is easy and I’ll source the specific parts from various manufacturers To fit my needs.

For uppers, I’ve found that it’s about the same cost, but much easier to just buy complete uppers. And no special tools needed.

I enjoy building uppers, but the $399 that PSA want for one this weekend was enough for me to say fuck it and order one.