• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes So many 1-4 Options

bigkracka

Private
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2011
Need recommendations for a 1-4/6 for my AR, $600-$800, 50-500yds, 30mm tube, Illuminated BDC type reticule, exposed zero stop target turrets.

Sounds like you are going to want a Vortex Viper PST with your requrements. The best 1-x scope I've owned is the Trijicon Accupoint. I'd recommend a Leupold VX6 1-6x also, they are good optics for the money.

You can also get the killer Steiner 1-4x from EuroOptic for $875 plus a SH discount if you call in. I'm sure you wouldn't be dissapointed with this optic.

Last edited:
So I am looking for something similar except I can live with standard capped turrets. I'd like to keep weight down under 18 oz, lower the better. Here's what I've gotten from my research so far:

Trijicon: best in class from people that use it, however it does not have a BDC and it's capped turrets preclude it from being used at range with decent accuracy.
Vortex PST: People swear by them, but I was unimpressed with the glass (not a huge deal in 1-4 IMO). I thought the reticle was thin, and that's the biggest complaint I've seen about it.
Leupold VX-R: Would also be perfect if it was a true 1X
That Steiner 1-4 looked great until I saw the weight. At 22.2 oz, I might as well stick with the SWFA 1-6 of the same weight that I'm currently using.

I have heard, that the exposed turrets on the Vortex can move when casing and uncasing the rifle. It seems most 3 gun shooters with Vortex use the capped version.

And it is not like you will be dialing holds wint this type of scope. Zero it and forget it.

I went with a Burris MTAC> Sport Optics has a nice package with the scope, PEPR mount, and a FastFire II red dot that mounts on the top of one of the scope rings. $540, IIRC.