• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

So many stuck cases!

Ffjmoore

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2019
Behind enemy lines comifornia
Have you ever had a stuck case? It sucks. But when 1 in every 10 is getting stuck, about the 3rd case you start to wonder what is wrong. "Why does my 1 shoot lube not work well any more?" I'll try die wax! Still stuck. 6th case extracted. I'll use more lube. Now my case is simpler from too much lube. WTF is wrong! OH! Shell plate 16 for 9mm fits 223 but not well enough. Life is much better when you have the correct shell holder.
I'm a pro at removing cases now!
I learned better and cheaper faster ways to lube brass. So it wasn't all for not. Just a account of a lesson learned hopefully for your entertainment.

we started keeping a shock hammer and a wooden rod around just for that occasion and like magic it stopped happening

Reactions: 338dude
I could never get the pronunciation of the elvish incantations required to make OneShot work quite right, and stuck a lot of cases as a result. A 12:1 mixture of 99% isopropyl alcohol and liquid lanolin is vastly superior in my experience.

Been using this for quite a while, easy and works great!

How I roll too... Dump 200 cases in a gallon Ziploc bag, a squirt or 2 every 50 cases going in. Shake the bag and knead the brass a bit...done into the case feeder it goes

Reactions: 47guy
I used to use one shot, however had many stuck cases from it. I've only used lanolin and 90% rubbing alcohol since and I've never had a stuck case since. Many recipes on the internet to make it. Just my .02 worth.

I used spray lubes (Dillon, One-Shot...) and gave up on them after several stuck cases. ...And yes; I was giving the stuff ample time to evaporate.

I've been using RCBS Case Lube 2 for going on two decades now (it had another name once, water soluble lube). No, none, nada stuck cases.

I put some across the fingertips of my left hand, grab the case by the neck in the right, give the case sidewall a twist between the lubed fingers, and insert it into the loader baseplate. After sizing/priming/whatever, the cases get wiped down with a pink shop cloth well dampened with rubbing alky. Do the same with your fingers, and otherwise keep those finggies away from the eyes. Aside from that quirk, it's a very painless solution; and the stuff lasts a long time, no bulky containers, no inhalation issues, no waiting.

It's a detergent, and I simply pull the decapping rod and swipe out the die cavity with swabs and alky.

Last edited:
I always thought they called it one shot cuz thats how many cases you can run through your sizer before it got stuck. 🤷‍♂️
I use a lube pad, keeps lube off the neck and shoulder so no dents if you overdo it. Think I’ve had two stuck cases in 10 years.

Reactions: JOE62
Have you ever had a stuck case? It sucks. But when 1 in every 10 is getting stuck, about the 3rd case you start to wonder what is wrong. "Why does my 1 shoot lube not work well any more?" I'll try die wax! Still stuck. 6th case extracted. I'll use more lube. Now my case is simpler from too much lube. WTF is wrong! OH! Shell plate 16 for 9mm fits 223 but not well enough. Life is much better when you have the correct shell holder.
I learned better and cheaper faster ways to lube brass. So it wasn't all for not. Just a account of a lesson learned hopefully for your entertainment.
You aren't doing it fast enough if you didn't burn holes in the gloves!

Reactions: Ffjmoore
I’ve had good luck with one shot by first heating the can up in some warm water, shaking it vigorously for 1 to 2 minutes, then turn the can upside down and spray the entire thing into a 1 gallon freezer bag, then throw the can in the bag, seal it up, and throw it in the trash.

I’ve had good luck with one shot by first heating the can up in some warm water, shaking it vigorously for 1 to 2 minutes, then turn the can upside down and spray the entire thing into a 1 gallon freezer bag, then throw the can in the bag, seal it up, and throw it in the trash.

now that’s funny!!

I have always used it. Put my brass in a reloading block squirt all 4 sides row by row. I have only ever had one stuck case. It was a 5.56 case and i tried to lube a bunch of cases in a plastic tub.

Reactions: 338dude and tnc
Ever since I've watched the 6.5 Guys Lanolin video nothing but 99% alcohol and liquid lanolin for me.

When I ran into a problem with stuck cases I found out my pick up tube was clogged and I was spraying mostly alcohol. The clog was the lanolin in the pickup tube.

One can will last forever. Doesn't take much and use a nylon bore brush with it chucked to a drill for inside the neck as well.

Had to size some once fired 308 LC, you know the blown out kind!. Tried One Shot spray and found out the hard way it wouldn't work. After that I used Hornady Unique (?) wax. Soooo much better. For standard resizing One shot works great.

My neck lube (when I can remember use one) is RCBS graphite.

I used to forego case prep, resorting to flash hole uniforming and not much else. Over the years I accumulated some doodads (RCBS Case Prep Center, primarily) as Christmas gifts. I finally broke down and ended up with the Little Crow Gun Works Case Trimmer 2 (and an original one for 6.5 Grendel; no chamber for that one, yet). Takes a bit of time, but my cartridge assembly process is now so much smoother.

But there's no frakkin way I'm going to run an open flame in my loading room (my lungs cannot tolerate anything resembling an alien fume)..., so...

Oh, well...

Greg

Last edited:
Remember to keep dies clean, too. I started having a little trouble with lowering cases back out after sizing, like it was too tight or something. Took apart and cleaned my die (which had somehow gotten really dirty) and just like that - no more problems.

Reactions: Ray17015
I had nothing but trouble until I ditched my resize die for another one...no more stuck cases and bullshit or lube dents. Life's too short to fuck around with trying to resize a case and it takes forever or makes issues. Time to look at a new die.

VooDoo

Rubbing alcohol on a q-tip, clean your dies especially if you are running dirty brass through them by the thousands.

I could never get the pronunciation of the elvish incantations required to make OneShot work quite right, and stuck a lot of cases as a result. A 12:1 mixture of 99% isopropyl alcohol and liquid lanolin is vastly superior in my experience.
All I use. Never had an issue.

I had a 243AI Forester die that was very rough, I talked to forester and they told me I could send it in for polishing, or I could polish it myself with some 600 grit. Since then all my dies get polished with some 600 grit.

You need to clean your die. Not only built up wax (dried lube) and crud, but the leftover brass. let it sit overnight with some bore-foam in it. Or use a strong ammonia type bore cleaner. I like bore foam, because it's not corrosive if left for a while. Other brands can be corrosive, but the get the brass out. When you get all the brass out, take a dremel or a drill and rig up a polishing ball. Polish the hell out of it and it will work better.

I did this with my .223 RCBS die, which was down to sticking every 1-3. And, that was with liberal imperial wax as lube.

I have always used a small bit of Ideal Wire Pulling lube in a spray bottle with 90% isopropyl alcohol. Dries/flashes off in seconds and never had a stuck case. And clean your dies every now and again.

VooDoo

Reactions: ken4570tc in WY
I work at such a slow rate that Imperial wax works for me. Sticky and icky, but I am going slow. I do 50 max at a time and everything is all by hand each and every step. I have more than enough time to do that.
If it were a few years ago, I would have wanted to be much faster and putting out more rounds, but, alas, I go slow, haven't much else to do so do it right.
Unless you have a lot of time on your hands, and want to give each and every round a critical inspection, I don't know what to tell you.

I did find a Norma 25/06 3 times fired through my 6.5/06 last reloading that had a spiral case body crack in it last week. Glad I didn't reload that one.

I do realize that this is of little help to anyone as most don't have the time to look at each and every case they reload. I do. FM