• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

So New & So Lost - Please help

Iophobia

Private
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2019
Trying to get into the precision shooting game.
I want a step up where my son (10) and I can dabble in competition and hunt at 300 yards or less.
Took my first step and got a Begara HMR in 6.5 Creed.
Now I have many questions what to do next.

For a scope I am looking at :
Primary Arms -18X50FFP-APOLLO-6.5CM. I am heavily leaning toward this as it will leave me money for mounting and ammo.
If I go this route, I also can start shooting this month and wont have to save up more money.
Tract Optics -Toric UHD 4-20×50 FFP MRAD: was next on my list but, if i go this route i will have to save up more money and cannot shoot till spring.
Please share your thoughts on my selections thus far.
I am open to other recommendations but $1,200 is the most i can spend.

Mounting:
I assume I should go with a 20 MOA rail to mount to my receiver?
With that said, do i have to spend big here with a Badger Ordnance Rail ($160), Middle Road Begara Rail ($80) or cheap Warne rail ($60)?
Next should i get a set of independent rings or go with a single piece mount? Is there any value to the extra expense of quick detach?
Please recommend some rings or single mount.

Thanks in advance!

If I were in your shoes, I would look long and hard at the SWFA Fixed 10x scope. They are hard to beat and will save you some coin.

They are available in MIL which I recommend as almost all other shooters are shooting MIL Scopes also. This makes corrections a lot easier.

As for a rail, I wouldn't buy the cheap $20 from Amazon, but probably middle of the road at $50 or $60.

I'm using a Nighforce rail now and they run $59 from Euro Optics.

I would go for the Vortex Precision or Seekins rings. They are both made by Seekins but are durable and will get you started. Make sure to pay attention to the recommended torque values

Spend the rest of your money on ammo and have fun.

Don't want to intentionally overwhelm you but have you considered the length of pull and eye relief differences of you and your young son?

Sharing a rifle may be economical but won't be a good fit, literally, for both of you.

Reactions: Steel+Killer
My 6.5 gets me out to 1000 yds at around 9 mils/30 moa. With the range of adjustment on a lot of scopes the rail isn't totally necessary, although it will keep you more in the middle range of the elevation when you have dialed it in for longer distances. I use an MDT rail, good price and quality. No need to go too expensive with your needs.

The swfa 10x, as @MinnesotaMulisha said, would be a good choice, especially for a kid. I remember playing with the magnification constantly as a kid, and always thinking it needed to be as high as possible. Took me a while to learn how it had actually been making things more difficult, so a fixed magnification might help.

Regardless what you decide to buy, get the best you can afford. If buying something more expensive keeps you from going out and practicing, is it worth it? It will give you time to learn what you really want out of your equipment and you will still be able to keep shooting while saving for the next upgrade.

I like my lrts also for the price. Look at athlon too a lot of their stuff is really nice especially for the price

There is a lot of good advice above. Buying a scope and mount is a place where you should spend as much as you can comfortably afford. That said, the Seekins or Vortex pmr rings are both good.

I'm not super familiar with pic rail compatibility for Bergaras, but I prefer something that has a recoil lug machined into the rail. There are a lot of decent ffp mil optics in the $700 range especially I you shop sales or buy used.

I personally don't think bdc type reticles work well for precision rifle stuff. They will be more than fine for hunting to 300 yds, but trying to win a match with one will be like trying to run a marathon with a broken leg.

Definitely consider a 20 moa rail.
If you get the itch for shooting far you’ll kick yourself for getting a 0moa.

You can do better than the primary arms for a scope.

Reactions: x_789
Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15 from @gr8fuldoug Cameralandny for 389
20MOA Rail..several brands....less then 60 bucks
SWFA s-tac rings for 35 bucks

I would consider some less expensive components and putting your son in his own rifle. You will both get more out of having your own rifle setup for you.

Upgrade as you grow.

I have 2 Athlon Midas BTR 4.5-27's in MILs. Same glass as Ares BTR. Got the last one for ~350 bucks new. Glass is just a touch below the high end 30mm Bushnells, and I feel better than the Vortex PST G2. SFP so the reticle is smaller, and set it up so the point of the "floating X" is my POI - small enough to shoot 1/4" stickers @ 100yds. Reticle is "correct" @ 15X. I have a view from my porch of a hilltop that is ~2800 yds away. I can see a soda can (blurry) in the scope at that distance. Leupold PRW2 rings and Leupold Backcountry aluminum rail - both cheap and no issues. If you do go with Athlon though, don't go below the Midas glass. Huge step down from there if you do.

If you save up instead, I have the Trijicon 5-50X56 MRAD, which is avail now for approx 1600 bucks. 29 MILs elevation, plus holdover. Zero stop, floating dot. Same hilltop, resolution is approx 25% better. Glass on par with Razor HD G2. At 200 yds, I can read the ingredients on a soda can. Burris XTR signature rings.

Those are my favorite value scopes - good luck!

Doug from cameraland has some killer deals going on.
He has the Bushnell Elite Tactical combo with the Sportsman Krestal for $1,049 shipped.
That Krestal is a tool that will stay with you longer than your 1st scope.

Thank you all!
Your input had a huge impact on my decisions!
For my son, I will let him try out my rifle, I can adjust the length of pull. If he shows a steady interest I would consider a Savage MKII FV-SR. As for the HMR setup I was originally asking about. I am going with the refurbished Vortex Viper recommended from AA Optics. The refurbished price combined with the lifetime warranty created a value I could not turn down. AAOptics also had a set of Vortex PMR Rings ($80) that I grabbed per recommendations. Finally I went with the Leupold BackCountry rail.

I look forward to shooting this setup and participating in this forum as I go!
Thanks again to everyone!

Thank you all!
For my son, I will let him try out my rifle, I can adjust the length of pull. If he shows a steady interest I would consider a Savage MKII FV-SR. As for the HMR setup I was originally asking about. I am going with the refurbished Vortex Viper recommended from AA Optics. The refurbished price combined with the lifetime warranty created a value I could not turn down. AAOptics also had a set of Vortex PMR Rings ($80) that I grabbed per recommendations. Finally I went with the Leupold BackCountry rail.

Good idea on the Savage 22. Only drawback is the stock. I believe theres one in the PX here..A Savage TRR-SR. It has the upgraded stock already. In five years you can upgrade straight to the Vudoo instead of pouring money into something in between those two.

I would go middle of the road for mount and recommend you get a used optic as it will save you money you can spend on ammo and get you shooting sooner !

You've already taken a big step forward and picked a great cartridge to work with, for scopes the tract and a vortex pst might be your best options, keep an eye on the for sale section of this forum there's often sweet deals.
For rings ARC M10 are absolutely badass and resell easy should you decide to change your mind later, you don't need a 1 piece mount, for sure get a 20 MOA base, Night Force makes a nice one you can add to your list.

Thank you all!

Don't Do the savage I got one problems from the get go and it's not very accurate .factory stock is horrible. I spent a considerable amount of money fixing mine it's still a savage, new stock, check piece ,new extractor its still a savage ?

Don't Do the savage I got one problems from the get go and it's not very accurate .factory stock is horrible. I spent a considerable amount of money fixing mine it's still a savage, new stock, check piece ,new extractor its still a savage ?
Instead of saying its still a Savage, just say its still not a Vudoo. My Mark ii shoots 1.5 moa with cheap ammo...same as my buddies Cz455 which he has over twice as much into. And his brother has the CZ 455 VPT which is three times the money of my savage and it also shoots 1.5 moa. Go figure.

Instead of saying its still a Savage, just say its still not a Vudoo. My Mark ii shoots 1.5 moa with cheap ammo...same as my buddies Cz455 which he has over twice as much into. And his brother has the CZ 455 VPT which is three times the money of my savage and it also shoots 1.5 moa. Go figure.
I can actually handle the accuracy part it's the extracting issue that's the most frustrating

I can actually handle the accuracy part it's the extracting issue that's the most frustrating
in over 3000 rounds I had less then 10 failures to extract and 9 of them were from the same 50ct of armscor. 1 was a CCI SV round.

in over 3000 rounds I had less then 10 failures to extract and 9 of them were from the same 50ct of armscor. 1 was a CCI SV round.
Cool I'm just saying that's the problem that I've had with mine with multiple extractors

I have a 10 year old and he will get behind anything. Just be aware that as has been said it will be hard for the two of you to use the same gun. I don't know how much your son has shot but starting him on a 6.5 will fatigue him quickly. If he isn't already I would suggest getting him a 22LR of his own or a .223 Something he can get comfortable with and spend time working on learning how to shoot and doing it cheaply. It doesn't have to be a fancy gun either. Look at used guns for a deal. Also lots of people are willing to help you out if they know you are getting a child started in the sport.

Last edited:
Thank you all!

Good luck with your endeavor. To reiterate above.

Keep in mind unless you really tame that recoil 6.5cm can still be a bit much for younger shooters and beginers. Imo, your better off starting him light and working up. Start with a 22lr or 17hmr and if he likes that step up to a 223. There are other cartridges between 22lr and 6.5cm and you can put your son in his own complete rifle for well under a grand. He's going to be waaaaay more into it having his own rifle.