• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns So the bastard child (40s&w) is now popular again?

Listen. Stop making fun of 10mms tragedy. It didn’t want to have a baby, and the clinic botched things.

And so it had a little .40 Schmidt und Wesson pop out, and it cries every time someone hammers his kid in the ass and has a celebratory drag of vape juice afterwards.
Little people have feelings too :)

I don't know about other states, but here in MN metro area the shelves are empty of everything but the bastard round.

9mm bullet too small and light
I bet you won't sign up to take just one in the chest.

I would not get to wound up in 9mm as it will fail again and FBI will probably lead everyone to the .357 Sig.
1-Uncontrollable-Laughter-Gif.gif

Hmm, this is perhaps a good reason to own a carry gun in 40 and 357 as well as 9mm and 45. I learned this lesson several ammo shortages ago but it didn’t seem to stick for many people I speak with. Plus variety is fun.

.40 S&W remains relevant because LEOs and USPSA shooters still use it en masse. For the general public, it only exists to panic-proof your collection against 9mm shortages.

Reactions: OkieJake96
.40 S&W remains relevant because LEOs and USPSA shooters still use it en masse. For the general public, it only exists to panic-proof your collection against 9mm shortages.

Wrong. 10-15 years ago yes. Now... Nope

Here's an idea: buy enough ammo over time in the common calibers that you own that you don't have to go panic buy like every other lemming twat out there!

.40 S&W remains relevant because USPSA shooters still use it en masse.

Actually, it's only relevant because a few police departments still use it.

While it's true that 40 S&W rules the roost in USPSA Limited division, 99.9999% of the shooters using it are reloading and have zero use for factory ammo which far exceeds power factor and has too much recoil to be useful.

Reactions: ken226
I wish limited would drop major power factor or allow 9x23 to be major.

When I was shooting a lot of USPSA I didn’t care about power factor as I always endeavored to get A zone hits. Actually, left to my own devices there would be a single minimum power factor and only A zone hits would count for score.

I wish limited would drop major power factor or allow 9x23 to be major.

just wait until they are done nascar raping production class or whatever you want to call it now, they will soon set their sights on limited and donkey punch it too.
PCC can get you tons of ammo in your mag if that is your search.

I predict 40sw will become basically a competition only round like 38super due to the distinct advantages of major power factor scoring/capacity, I enjoy shooting 40sw for a couple a reasons, I can download it to mouse fart recoil for my wife and kid, and load it hot to 10mm speeds out of my Infinity pistol, IMHO shooting a Glock 23 sucks, shooting a Glock 35 is good, shooting a 180 at 700fps or over 1000fps out of a 2011 is awesome.

Reactions: mgrs and 10ring1
I predict 40sw will become basically a competition only round like 38super due to the distinct advantages of major power factor scoring/capacity, I enjoy shooting 40sw for a couple a reasons, I can download it to mouse fart recoil for my wife and kid, and load it hot to 10mm speeds out of my Infinity pistol, IMHO shooting a Glock 23 sucks, shooting a Glock 35 is good, shooting a 180 at 700fps or over 1000fps out of a 2011 is awesome.

Exactly..

I like the .40, in exactly 1 gun. My all steel Phoenix Trinity 2011 limited gun. 4.5 grains of tightgroup and 180 grn bullets just barely make power factor, and recoil less than my sig X5 tactical 9mm.

For my smaller frame guns, I like 9mm.

So I went bird hunting in WI last year and they have wolves and black bears. I already have several 9mm handguns which I use for concealed carry and my wife uses for an at home gun. But facts, as best I can tell, are that 40 is more power and while not a great bear gun it is better than a 9mm. (per my research a 40 with a heavy bullet will handle a black bear.) I love my 10mm and 45LC and 454 Casull (yeah I love guns) but they are rather heavy or limited in number of rounds. Just my rambling on why I think many calibers are relevant. But as per ”diverse“ use protocols, the 9mm is the winner for most and I’m afraid the 40 is still the loser in defense popularity,

Reactions: ken226
I saw that! That was a big implant. I wonder what the bullet was since it sure didn’t perform very well. Should we all encourage our women to get them for self defense?😂😂

Actually, it's only relevant because a few police departments still use it.

While it's true that 40 S&W rules the roost in USPSA Limited division, 99.9999% of the shooters using it are reloading and have zero use for factory ammo which far exceeds power factor and has too much recoil to be useful.

Yep, 40 is my go-to and I've rarely bought factory ammo. I used to shoot 125PF with 140's (softer feeling recoil than factory 9mm), well still do mostly, 180PF for major, and loaded some 220PF with 200's for the fun of it.

I reload for all my centerfire pistols so I'm not reliant on factory ammo.

Reactions: 10ring1
I have some 40s, I have some 9s. And I have some 40s with 9 conversion barrels.

If I buy a new pistol, it'll be a 9mm, but I'm damn sure not giving my 40s away. Know why? Because they work very well for what they were intended for, regardless of what the FBI did. Not to mention I can shoot 3 calibers out of the same gun in times like these.

I also believe my G23 Gen 3 to be one of the most reliable pistols I've fired. The increased slide velocity increases wear and felt recoil, but it also makes for dead nuts reliable ejection, and less prone to limp wristing failures.

9mm is certainly advantageous in many ways, but 40 isn't going anywhere simply because of the shit tons of them in circulation.

Last edited:
I have a bunch of .40 stuff. I carry an M&P 40 that became an awesome gun after a little work. I've killed several hogs with it as well as a bunch of armadillos, skunks, and coons.

Its not my preferred round for plinking, but I've scored a ton of defensive ammo over the past few years that was on clearance. The same for reloading supplies.

I LOVE my 40’s, my 20s were a lot funnier but crazy. Seriously I go to my 40 rather than any other of my pistols. A relative in law enforcement tells me all the freak stories that they have with their service 9mm, so no thank you. In forty I can still knock something down instead of it up and running away.

Noticed this too the other day and chuckled. I never thought I'd see .40 way more available and at about half the price as 9mm. Glad to have both.

its widely avaiable cuz no one wants it. Still. Everybody is buying 9mm.

40 S&W is still a bass-turd, far as I'm concerned. :)

Laughing,...Interesting to see/know all the hype from those who have NEVER BEEN in a gunfight, let alone a civi CCW fight are experts, w/o any real world experience at all. Reminds me of all the teachers who never were involved in the subject matter they are supposed experts on,...

I still like 40S&W.
165-180 service loads have plenty of power but I agree that modern bullet technology has done a lot to eliminate any big advantage over 9mm

I do like how 40S&W adapts to bunny fart loads like 45 ACP.

I only ave my trusty G23 now.

.40 is always available when demand in this industry gets incredibly high. That's one of the few good things about .40, availability...

What hurt the .40 was the firearm manufacturers. When the .40 was gaining popularity among LE Agencies every Manufacturer on the planet started putting out .40 Cal. handguns. The problem was they were building them on 9mm frames. Not a good combination; it would be similar to adapting a 5.56mm lower receiver to fire a 7.62mm round. If you really want to see what the .40 is capable of try shooting it out of a HK USP .40 Tactical, that gun was purpose built for the .40 caliber round and shows it off very well.

Reactions: OkieJake96
If you really want to see what the .40 is capable of try shooting it out of a HK USP .40 Tactical, that gun was purpose built for the .40 caliber round and shows it off very well.

I have one and it is very nice.

The standard USP .40 is also a solid tank and the USPc .40 ones were good and reliable.

I went to the P30 in .40 because the grip was better, it's got less mass than the full sized USP so it's a bit more jumpy, but the grip fits me better.

Pretty amazing how marketing and ammunition development can drive a caliber into falling out of favor.

Just picked up a Baby Eagle 40, what a nice pistol this.. tad bit of weight but a true joy to use at the range