• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing so, the neighbor lady was crying......

Re: so, the neighbor lady was crying......

So...EventHorizon...A true tale. Some of us old Navy farts spent 10 days out in your beautiful state last year...in the area called NAPA...Lots of cool vines, grapes every where. Sat in the little down town areas of several villages. Drove every where. Know what? NO small mammals. NO Squirrels. NO possums. NO coyotes. No raccoons. NO road kill anywhere...even with all the traffic. Hardly any birds. (One family of quail. 6 members. That's all). In the blessed east of you, if you go downtown to a small square and sit around...you'll see lots of animal life. Including pigeons and squirrels. Not in NAPA. Your fine PETA people notwithstanding, the professionals in NAPA are killing, or trapping and killing ALL the small mammmals that MIGHT eat your grapes. Ever think what a family of raccoons could do to a line of grapes? I asked one of the young lady guides the question, "Do you ever use insecticides? She replied that only under extreme conditions might they do so. Ho, ho. That cloud you see coming up the valley from San Fran...that ain't fog...that is poison for bugs. Don't get in the way of the Wine Crop. Not my opinion. My observation. FNP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So...EventHorizon...A true tale. Some of us old Navy farts spent 10 days out in your beautiful state last year...in the area called NAPA...Lots of cool vines, grapes every where. Sat in the little down town areas of several villages. Drove every where. Know what? NO small mammals. NO Squirrels. NO possums. NO coyotes. No raccoons. NO road kill anywhere...even with all the traffic. Hardly any birds. (One family of quail. 6 members. That's all). In the blessed east of you, if you go downtown to a small square and sit around...you'll see lots of animal life. Including pigeons and squirrels. Not in NAPA. Your fine PETA people notwithstanding, the professionals in NAPA are killing, or trapping and killing ALL the small mammmals that MIGHT eat your grapes. Ever think what a family of raccoons could do to a line of grapes? I asked one of the young lady guides the question, "Do you ever use insecticides? She replied that only under extreme conditions might they do so. Ho, ho. That cloud you see coming up the valley from San Fran...that ain't fog...that is poison for bugs. Don't get in the way of the Wine Crop. Not my opinion. My observation. FNP </div></div>

What is your point here? And please don't associate me with PETA just because I'm in CA. Do you want me to associate you with the Klan because you're in Mississippi?

Whilst I enjoy wine, CA wine isn't high on my list so 'Not Guilty' here.

FWIW I'm in LA, and sitting in my office I see squirrels, hear and see birds of many kinds and am pretty sure there's a raccoon about the place at night judging by the noise around the rubbish bins sometimes.

Again, I don't really get your point unless you just wanted to bash CA...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So...EventHorizon...A true tale. Some of us old Navy farts spent 10 days out in your beautiful state last year...in the area called NAPA...Lots of cool vines, grapes every where. Sat in the little down town areas of several villages. Drove every where. Know what? NO small mammals. NO Squirrels. NO possums. NO coyotes. No raccoons. NO road kill anywhere...even with all the traffic. Hardly any birds. (One family of quail. 6 members. That's all). In the blessed east of you, if you go downtown to a small square and sit around...you'll see lots of animal life. Including pigeons and squirrels. Not in NAPA. Your fine PETA people notwithstanding, the professionals in NAPA are killing, or trapping and killing ALL the small mammmals that MIGHT eat your grapes. Ever think what a family of raccoons could do to a line of grapes? I asked one of the young lady guides the question, "Do you ever use insecticides? She replied that only under extreme conditions might they do so. Ho, ho. That cloud you see coming up the valley from San Fran...that ain't fog...that is poison for bugs. Don't get in the way of the Wine Crop. Not my opinion. My observation. FNP </div></div>

What is your point here? And please don't associate me with PETA just because I'm in CA. Do you want me to associate you with the Klan because you're in Mississippi?

Whilst I enjoy wine, CA wine isn't high on my list so 'Not Guilty' here.

FWIW I'm in LA, and sitting in my office I see squirrels, hear and see birds of many kinds and am pretty sure there's a raccoon about the place at night judging by the noise around the rubbish bins sometimes.

Again, I don't really get your point unless you just wanted to bash CA... </div></div>

I was wondering what the point was as well. On top of wondering what the point was, I'm wondering what part of Napa Former Naval Person was in. I live about 50 miles south of Napa and I do a lot of hunting in Napa County, most of it on a ranch with a pretty extensive vineyard (and a fairly well known one in the wine grape growing circles-Rancho Chimiles).

I hunt turkey at Rancho Chimiles and there's a good population of the birds running through the vineyards. There's an ever more impressive population of pig throughout the ranch and the hills around Napa and plenty of mule deer. The number of squirrels and birds is too many too count. If there's some program to take away all the mammals in Napa, it's not working very well.

When the vineyards are getting hammered by the pigs (who do a ton of damage rooting up everything), I often get a call to see if I want to come hunt the ranch. That's about as close to any mammal control program that I know of.

Back to the point, though...speaking for myself, I have no problem whatsoever with nuisance animals being killed. What I have a problem with is people who take some macabre delight in glorifying cruelty to the animals or making a spectacle of their deaths.

Actually, i regard Cabernet from Napa to be world class. Jordan and Cakebread come to mind.

I believe FNPs point is that the fine citizens of Napa are exterminating any and all pests that may cause harm to your precious grapes. And there is not a logical difference in protecting grapes and keeping a loose cat from shitting on your porch.

Was that really that hard to understand?

Also you said "whilst" which although I know is correct and proper it's also gay.

I'm not interested in defending the actions of corporations that simply happen to be in CA. If indeed they do as NFP suggests (which has been refuted BTW by someone who lives in the area).

What's with this "your precious grapes" reference? Seriously, if having common sense, compassion, awareness and the courage of ones own convictions is unique to the residents of CA then thank God I am where I am. Once all the loony left have left CA to poison the rest of the country (as so many seem to think is true regardless of the paucity of evidence) then it will be an even better place!

As for the gay comment I just threw you another morsel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: srt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually, i regard Cabernet from Napa to be world class. Jordan and Cakebread come to mind. </div></div>

the Syrahs of Santa Barbara are very good. Beckmans Granache Blanc is unique. The best Pinot to my taste are those in Oregon.

Napa cabs whilst tasty are overly sweet. The weather spoils them. Nothing rivals a true Premier Grand Cru. Even a 3rd press St. Margaux from Trader Joes, decant it for no less than two hours and see for yourself. It beat that over priced drivel Opus One anyday.

Watch your six!

cat_gun.jpg

I will restate what the animal control officer in my county told me when I asked what he can do about the feral cats: "(looking at me as if I had just sprouted a second head) You just shoot 'em doc."
Verily it is so. People who live in cities are out of touch with reality when it comes to controlling dangerous animals. And for the people who say 'let's start a thread about shooting dogs and see how people like it' I say I have shot them too. Once I got four in a pack of 9 at one time.
I hate the former thread turned into something weird, but it is the internet.

It really is simple. There are those that think they have no responsibilities for their actions (leaving pets to roam free) and those who demanding their rights are recognized (I built my child a sand box, and by gosh, she is going to be able to use it crap free). I believe in a warning type conversation, but can someone please tell me how to explain to my 4 year old that she can’t play in the new sandbox, with the new sand toys, because the neighbors still won’t secure their cat?
I have the ability to hold discussion, and a 22. Pet owners make the real decisions as to the outcome.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
"nothing like kitty bits raining down from 25 feet". I found this ironic in how well this statement proves my point. I can't help it, but I look upon people like this as undiagnosed retarded and having no business being armed. </div></div>

Lived in Kali long? </div></div>

Please don't be so simple minded. </div></div>

You're right, I'm simple minded because I disagree with your semi-anti gun lingo based upon a discussion on the internet.

This is a typical tactic shown by the uneducated; you can't come up with a properly articulated, well informed response, so you go to insulting the intellectual integrity of the people involved in the discussion.

1) Dusting a feral cat on the property is not a problem with me. Between the song bird damage and cat piss, I do not appreciate them being around.

2) One of my parents' neighbors keeps cats and lets them roam, my dad has video taped it in the middle of the backyard stalking birds and then ripping them apart just to kill them. Upon showing that to the neighbor what their cats have done, this time it was filmed, they felt it was my dad's problem to deal with. He dealt with it using a live animal trap and soapy water in the middle of winter. The cat was caught, doused, and allowed to sit in the trap for several hours, then dropped off. It learned after 2 treatments and didn't come back.

3) The feral cats with disease visible (mange or sores in particular) get absolutely no chances, they are shot on sight, bagged, and put in a dumpster for disease control.

4) Saying that certain people shouldn't have guns "because it looks bad" to people simply points to your lack of true support, it demonstrates to me that you have a watered down attitude towards them, you would seek to assimilate rather than retain your rights. That kind of behavior is not acceptable to me, however common it is on the left coast, hence the "Kali" comment.

Consider the following approach as an alternative method to insulting people. "Educate rather than ridicule" and you will have an intelligent discussion far more often, you might even gain something out of the discussion and become less of an ignoramus yourself in doing so.

This would be the "simple minded" response.

It's time to play "Hide and go F*** yourself"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
"nothing like kitty bits raining down from 25 feet". I found this ironic in how well this statement proves my point. I can't help it, but I look upon people like this as undiagnosed retarded and having no business being armed. </div></div>

Lived in Kali long? </div></div>

Please don't be so simple minded. </div></div>

You're right, I'm simple minded because I disagree with your semi-anti gun lingo based upon a discussion on the internet.</div></div>

No, you're simple-minded because of your simple minded question, the assumptions inherent within the question (as you've kindly detailed) and mis-spelling Cali.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is a typical tactic shown by the uneducated; you can't come up with a properly articulated, well informed response, so you go to insulting the intellectual integrity of the people involved in the discussion. </div></div>

I'm sorry, was <span style="font-weight: bold">'Lived in Kali long?'</span> educated, well-articulated, well-informed and rich in intellectual integrity?!? Really? Please, don't make me laugh.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
1) Dusting a feral cat on the property is not a problem with me. Between the song bird damage and cat piss, I do not appreciate them being around.

2) One of my parents' neighbors keeps cats and lets them roam, my dad has video taped it in the middle of the backyard stalking birds and then ripping them apart just to kill them. Upon showing that to the neighbor what their cats have done, this time it was filmed, they felt it was my dad's problem to deal with. He dealt with it using a live animal trap and soapy water in the middle of winter. The cat was caught, doused, and allowed to sit in the trap for several hours, then dropped off. It learned after 2 treatments and didn't come back.</div></div>

OK, are you aware that hunting birds is in a cat's nature? THis behavior that you find so shocking is normal for them. Your assumption that they do this 'just to kill them' is wrong. They often kill and leave the carcass to come back to it later. They don't always eat a fresh kill. So please stop applying human ideals and morals to animals. It's simple-minded.

I applaud your father for his humane approach to training the cat to not come in his backyard. I wish only that the idiot owner of that cat had been doused instead until he/she took responsibility. I firmly believe people are responsible for their pets and they should not allow their pets to damage property especially when they've been informed that they are doing so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
3) The feral cats with disease visible (mange or sores in particular) get absolutely no chances, they are shot on sight, bagged, and put in a dumpster for disease control.</div></div>

Sounds like a good humane policy. Thanks.

4) Saying that certain people shouldn't have guns "because it looks bad" to people simply points to your lack of true support, it demonstrates to me that you have a watered down attitude towards them, you would seek to assimilate rather than retain your rights. That kind of behavior is not acceptable to me, however common it is on the left coast, hence the "Kali" comment. </div></div>

Now we're back to simple-mindedness. I said people who delight and find funny the killing of animals are a bad example of hunters and gun owners. In my own opinion, I find anyone who thinks killing is cause for joking, shit&giggles is a loon and I don't believe the mentally ill should have firearms. If you believe the mentally ill should have equal rights of firearms ownership then that's your choice, but don't go thinking I want to assimilate or give up my rights, I don't and it's a worn out, spineless pathetic tactic itself. I'm sure you understand that there is nuance in what I'm saying, but you're just trying smear me as a 'hidden' anti-gunner. Bollox to that mate.

It's because I don't want my rights taken away that I think we, collectively, as gun owners, hunters and people who want to retain the rights of self-determination and protection should come down hard on the idiots amongst us who abuse this right by acting like damned fools.

Other than your proclivity to draw conclusions about my political outlook, you seem like a normal person, I have nothing against what you have said in your latest post (other than the fuck you bit, which kind of dilutes your attack on me not being able to handle a well articulated response etc.). I understand that an over-population of cats is detrimental to the ecosystem of wildlife and they need culling. But that culling isn't a reason to delight in a 'rain of kitty bits from 25ft'. Really, I don't get why thinking that comment is utterly moronic is a 'leftist' viewpoint. Common sense, is common sense, surely?!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Consider the following approach as an alternative method to insulting people. "Educate rather than ridicule" and you will have an intelligent discussion far more often, you might even gain something out of the discussion and become less of an ignoramus yourself in doing so.</div></div>

This is sound advice and I will try and keep it in mind. It's hard though when your first post to me was insulting and sought to ridicule me. Oh well, I guess we all screw up don't we?

This would be the "simple minded" response.

It's time to play "Hide and go F*** yourself"
</div></div>

Don't be so hard on yourself, you had some good moments.

This is about to get locked up, I fear. <span style="font-weight: bold">I think we can all just agree that responsibility for the pet lies with the owner, instead of the person who has it destroying/invading their property.</span> Some people will kill the pet, some people will use more personable methods to try and convey their point to the pet's owner.

Regardless of your personal stance on whether it's alright to shoot an animal that's on your property, it happens. Some people have no moral qualms about killing someone's pet, some people do, and some people realize that there's not always a black-and-white response to a situation. To think in black-and-white only shows a closed mind; and one that could possibly be very dangerous. If you realize that every situation has its own details, you can act accordingly. If you can't assess a situation to get to the bottom of it, and can't do it quickly and accurately, then I don't want you anywhere near me with a gun.

I just wanna know if the woman's kitty ever came home to her.

Since I unintentionally threw the fuel on this fire. Let me say one thing about approaching your neighbor with a request for better contol of their "pets". After contacting my neighbor about his Lab chasing deer accross my front field, with a request that he be kept up, we almost came to blows over his inability to understand that his 5 acres was not borderless. He actually told me that "he didn't see a problem with what his dog was doing...I just don't see what the problem is.." Well, needless to say, I start getting dirty looks, no longer waving, etc...Then his kid tells mine, on the school bus, that I shot his dog. Nothing could be further from the truth. But, see where trying to do the right thing, put me in a bad position from which I will never be able to vindicate myself. It goes back to the old sayin, "the more you stir shit, the more it stinks." Just a warning to those trying to be "good neighbors".

Please don't let this thread get locked too.

If you want to dicuss how it was done before all the roadside farmland was sold 30 years ago, we can help you out.

We had what were called party lines for the phone.
One person was a seed dealer and had dogs that were killing my Grandpa's chickens.
Kinda hard to call, as he was using this party line like own private today.

Dad walked over with chicken parts, and said next time it would be the dog.
He asked what if one of our dogs came over to his place.
They knew better, but was told to return them the same way.

He dided by his smart thinking.
Cut a 55 gal drum open with torch.

EH, 3 times above you've missed the humor in 2 of my posts, most blatantly the intentional K used.

I saw intended humor of "raining kitty bits" that clearly has now stuck in you gizzard and raised your blood pressure. The humor for me being that it incenses people like you for nothing more than arguing over the internet.

Personal attacks on someone thousands of miles away for humor that you missed only serves to make your reactions funnier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">EH, 3 times above you've missed the humor in 2 of my posts, most blatantly the intentional K used.

I saw intended humor of "raining kitty bits" that clearly has now stuck in you gizzard and raised your blood pressure. The humor for me being that it incenses people like you for nothing more than arguing over the internet.

Personal attacks on someone thousands of miles away for humor that you missed only serves to make your reactions funnier.
</div></div>

Now that you mention it, I see it! Wow, you are one funny man...

Putting a K instead of a C... awesome, so clever...
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">guys the humane thing to do is catch the cat in a live trap.

Then release it with a bell around its neck.

That way you can hear the jingle when the coyotes start chasing it.
</div></div>

LOL, not a bad idea...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">about her lost cat that was seen around my house... I set a live trap baited with tuna and the storms are moving in. lets see if I have soaked rat....I mean cat pics in the morning.... </div></div>

Hey CKA.
If the tuna hasn't worked yet, I hear dolphin is yummy!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">EH, 3 times above you've missed the humor in 2 of my posts, most blatantly the intentional K used.

</div></div>

Now that you mention it, I see it! Wow, you are one funny man...

Putting a K instead of a C... awesome, so clever...
laugh.gif
</div></div>

If someone has to explain to you why everyone around here and in rest of free America for that matter, spells California with a "K" you are as disconnected from reality as you let on in your posts. Please try to respond without using "whilst" or some other archaic British term.

50Cal,

I'm going to take a leaf out of bohem's book here;

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Personal attacks on someone thousands of miles away for humor that you missed only serves to make your reactions funnier.</div></div>

Bohem/50cal, you guys might want to take a second and re-read this thread... You opened a big can of whoop-ass on yourselves.

Shot, as I mentioned several posts ago, arguing over how someone's emotional interpretation over a sarcastic comment has done little beyond provide entertainment... personal insults by someone who has demonstrated little understanding of the situation or the sarcasm involved really doesn't bother me.

Notice again, when I took the time to explain various pieces of the situation he still missed the the "personally responsible for your pets" theme and turned again to personal attacks and agreed with the parts that were actually understood.

Rational evaluation of a comment, humor or not, as opposed to thinking first and foremost "That isn't PC, you are retarded for making such a statement and don't belong in the presence of firearms".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shot, as I mentioned several posts ago, arguing over how someone's emotional interpretation over a sarcastic comment has done little beyond provide entertainment... personal insults by someone who has demonstrated little understanding of the situation or the sarcasm involved really doesn't bother me.

Notice again, when I took the time to explain various pieces of the situation he still missed the the "personally responsible for your pets" theme and turned again to personal attacks and agreed with the parts that were actually understood.

Rational evaluation of a comment, humor or not, as opposed to thinking first and foremost "That isn't PC, you are retarded for making such a statement and don't belong in the presence of firearms".
</div></div>

Hang on, just wait, are you being funny again, I can't tell and don't want to miss out on the hilarity - or is it just you back-tracking to save face? Either way, I need some guidance this.

{shaking head} K instead of a C, <span style="font-style: italic">still</span> cracks me up...
smirk.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Remsen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I have no problem whatsoever with nuisance animals being killed. What I have a problem with is people who take some macabre delight in glorifying cruelty to the animals or making a spectacle of their deaths.</div></div>Well said. As a friend of mine, who happened to be a specialist in abnormal clinical psychology, once told me: it's the very line between emotional stability and pathology. I would add that it is also the difference between people who have been there and understand the responsibility of killing, and those who want ever so badly to identify themselves with the false glory of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Remsen said:
...I would add that it is also the difference between people who have been there and understand the responsibility of killing, and those who want ever so badly to identify themselves with the false glory of it. </div></div>

Bravo sir.

EH, no humor attempted in that post. Have you figured out yet why K was used instead of a C?

The "simple minded response" given was a demonstration of simple mindedness. Notice the phrasing "This would be..." That is a prelude to the example about to be given. There was a modicum of humor/sarcasm in the statement that was intended as a point to remind you how even a simple minded statement can convey a point as well, as intellectually non-stimulating you may find it. The point was: "You don't understand what you're barking about, get off it"

More appropriately, you might have said initially "Please don't be so closed minded" with regards to my Kommiefornia comment.(I think I get it now, you don't think CA laws are ridiculous and find it minorly offensive that the majority of the country refers to it as a socialist state) Closed minded would be more appropriate in the situation considering that there has been a length discussion that involved more than monosyllabic grunts.

I have a closed mind with regards to animal rights which has been formed through real world experience and a religious belief where animals are not soulful creatures unlike the human being. They are beasts and do not have the same inalienable rights that we as humans *should* enjoy. Shooting a nuisance animal (since diseased is something we both agree upon) is not something you seem to find as a sociopathic disorder instead of property and wildlife management. If it's referenced to in a humorous manner I see no difference to it than simply saying "I shot it with a 223, it made a mess".

Having dealt with the same situation myself in various forms, the most humane thing for a nuisance creature is to shoot it with a fast caliber weapon and kill it instantly, generally this causes it to create a "red mist" from the shockwave formed around the supersonic bullet. A pellet rifle will kill a cat or a dog, but the way it dies after being shot is not something that Mr06 enjoyed seeing/hearing and hence he's demonstrated that you were completely wrong in your emotional response that he's a moron and his weapons should be taken away.

You're sitting in a city office telling people in rural areas how to manage strays, nuisance, and diseased animals; be it a domesticated or feral cat the difference is meaningless when they cause property damage and the owner has demonstrated little responsibility for it.

Graham is quite right in his expression of sociopathic response to life and killing.

To the back-tracking: My stance has never changed. I do not predicate my argument based upon personal attacks or attacks upon the intellectuality of an individual that I'm having a discussion with. My stance on the issue itself has never changed.

Furthermore, I think your perceived moral high ground on the issue is built upon a foundation of mis-interpretation, lack of understanding, and inexperience with the actual topics at hand. Just because you can see/hear some animals in the city is a far cry from having a true understanding of rural property/wildlife management.

I'm removing myself from this <span style="text-decoration: line-through">discussion</span> pissing contest. I'll check if CKA ever updates to see if the woman found her missing pet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">shoot, shovel, and shut-up </div></div>

^^^^END of story....nothing else needs to said or chastised!

JLM's cat's wife left him, couldn't see life without his pussycat. Did himself in. Poor cat wasn't a threat to anyone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patriotoutlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since I unintentionally threw the fuel on this fire. Let me say one thing about approaching your neighbor with a request for better contol of their "pets". After contacting my neighbor about his Lab chasing deer accross my front field, with a request that he be kept up, we almost came to blows over his inability to understand that his 5 acres was not borderless. He actually told me that "he didn't see a problem with what his dog was doing...I just don't see what the problem is.." Well, needless to say, I start getting dirty looks, no longer waving, etc...Then his kid tells mine, on the school bus, that I shot his dog. Nothing could be further from the truth. But, see where trying to do the right thing, put me in a bad position from which I will never be able to vindicate myself. It goes back to the old sayin, "the more you stir shit, the more it stinks." Just a warning to those trying to be "good neighbors". </div></div>

Best one I ever figured out to tell someone in that situation is that some idiot set out a line of coyote traps last fall and hasn't been seen since. You don't know if you ever will find all of the traps, but someones dog gets caught in one every so often and you are not responsible for what happens to them in that situation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Back to the pratical side of things, and only dealing with animals, not humans.
If you go to the owners and something happens to the animal for the rest of it's life, you are the guilty party. All animals running at large come to a bad end and you will be blamed. I have tried being the nice guy for a while and got the same shit.

"Well, I don't think he leaves the yard, but I will watch him a bit closer."
"We moved to the country so our dogs could run." ( owns 5 acres)
"I have a right to coon hunt where ever I want, because my dog cannot read and I need to be with him."
"I have my pit bulls for guard dogs, so they need to be free to come on your property to protect mine."

It just comes down to not imposing and not being imposed on. </div></div>

Thoughts about the above idiots you've run into.

"He doesn't leave the yard" If he isn't on a leash he will leave the yard, that is a forgone conclusion.

"Moved to country so dog could run" As long as he stays on YOUR property fine. Trouble is he doesn't.

"My dog can't read" No he can't, but even if you can't either you can come around and politely ask for permission ahead of time or just stay the hell out. If you can't be bothered to ask permission then you have no business on my property and your dog has less business there than you do.

"I have them for guard dogs" So what? On your property call them what you like, when they come on mine I will call them what I like and treat them accordingly.

"It just comes down to not imposing and not being imposed on." AMEN.

See previous post, I still think it is the best idea.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Patriotoutlaw, I understand that cats are prolific predators, it's their nature and how evolution has molded them. I don't hold their nature against them, but I also understand that they can be a nuisance.

Whilst I agree that people should be responsible for their pets I don't get the cavalier attitude of some in shooting them if they should venture on property.

There have been stories of late concerning people killing other people's pets (the woman who beat to death the kids bunny, some asshole who shot a dog because it was pissing on his lawn). I just wanted to know the thinking behind those types of actions as it just seems extreme to me.

Perhaps a live trap would suffice to catch the cats that cause you bother?

In any case, thanks for the answer. </div></div>
i agree with the live trap idea. after all bullets are pricey right now....with a live trap you can just tie a rope on it and chunk it in the pond...

grin.gif

bench

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It seems that there's always going to be an element of people in any endeavor, be it hunting, cars, or just living amongst other people who have an underdeveloped sense of what's appropriate and what's just being a gruff-minded idiot.
</div></div>

Basically I figure 3 rules cover just about everything when it comes to getting allong with neighbors.
1. Keep pets under control.
2. Keep kids under control.
3. Keep the noise down.

From what I have seen down through the years the "gruff-minded idiots" are the ones that don't follow these rules. Won't even try to keep their pets or idiot kids under control. As for noise they "think" you just have to put up with their nonsense/noise.

I have American Pit Bull Terriers, have for many years. I have spent over ten thousand dollars on the fence for our new property in the last year making sure that they are confined within our boundaries. My dogs are very well trained and do not require any special fences or measures in order to keep them home. However, it is my responsibility to keep them safe. These are big dogs and look quite intimidating to an ill informed neighbor. The black eye the media has given the mix bred ghetto version of this breed does not help the situation. If for some reason my dog ever left his yard, his chances of returning safely are quite low. I have no doubt that a neighbor caught off guard by the sight of one of these in their yard would most certainly shoot them and be fully convinced that they were protecting their family. I don't like the stereotype but it is what it is. It is my responsibility to keep my dogs confined to avoid potential harm to them or the community. My dog is not allowed to walk on top of my neighbors vehicle I do not see why his cat should be allowed to walk all over mine. Loose cat, dead cat.

What gets me is that people that shoot cats/dogs etc GENERALLY have had incidents where their own pet HAS gotten away.
Kind of hypocritical if you ask me...

Kinda like a certain political party I know of...

My neighbor bitched about my cat killing all the birds, only thing is I have a fence and she's too heavy to climb it.
My other cat spends his time out in the woods as he's rather wild still - comes home at night - never to be seen around the neighborhood (and i've looked)...

I laugh now because the same whiner complaining has a mole problem in his yard, I do not, nor does another neighbor with a cat...(and a fence).

The birds are all nested in my backyard, high above my cat- I feed them in the winter when it snows - plenty of them around.

Tiz OK tho, his dog got a cast on where it fell in the mole hole and broke it's ankle
smile.gif
Glad to see it's starting to get better. Dumb ass owner has a mole problem in his yard and his dog gets to suffer.

Excessive cats, yeah they gotta be dealt with, but posting a pic like that cat with the gun - That's kind of fucked up, something my manic ex would do.

I am a little concerned with this talk about this talk of shoot, shovel and shut up. Buzzards got to eat same as worms.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What gets me is that people that shoot cats/dogs etc GENERALLY have had incidents where their own pet HAS gotten away.
Kind of hypocritical if you ask me...

Excessive cats, yeah they gotta be dealt with, but posting a pic like that cat with the gun - That's kind of fucked up, something my manic ex would do.

</div></div>

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...209#Post1389209

see a difference? I dont.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ewoaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">see a difference? I dont. </div></div>

Nope, me either.

It's not for me to preach any moralities, I'd laugh if I saw a human in a position like that, but I tend to think mankind is a virus too, so that's just me.

That's probably why the cat population is so high, all the coyotes are getting shot LOL

We had a coyote came in my step-dad's yard in suburbia where he lives, took his daughters cat right in front of her, one shake - neck broken, and ran off into the woods with it.

Feel bad for the cat but nature called. Man is not nature or natural.

Everything has to eat, so that's different. Orca whales are in my AO right now eating those "Cute" sea lions and seals, breaks your heart when they hide out in the yard because an Orca is sitting 25 yards offshore waiting for him. Everythings gotta eat.

or maybe....we can just kill all the cats AND the coyotes.

you're right about one thing..everything has to eat, but when that consumption gets out of control something has to be done. A predator species introduced by man need cleaned up. This thread started out as one man trying to help find a neighbor's cat. The tangent it has taken is way off topic.

All I have to say is this.. Anyone here who's been on the SH for a while knows about the cat pic and who/where it came from. It was a predatory animal taken legally. Someone took it's picture..big deal, happens all the time on this site with just about any predatory/pest animal. There should be no apologies from anyone that does.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SnkBit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have no doubt that a neighbor caught off guard by the sight of one of these in their yard would most certainly shoot them and be fully convinced that they were protecting their family. I don't like the stereotype but it is what it is. It is my responsibility to keep my dogs confined to avoid potential harm to them or the community. My dog is not allowed to walk on top of my neighbors vehicle I do not see why his cat should be allowed to walk all over mine. Loose cat, dead cat. </div></div>

Your logic doesn't sync with the law in a lot of communities. A cat walking on your car does not and will never pose a threat to anyone, much less your family. I loose pit bull, can and often does pose a threat. The precedent is there and many communities have either banned pit bulls and/or consider them to be a nuisance animal.

Nuisance animal? A cat standing on top of my Carrera is a nuisance animal. My dogs are neither a nuisance nor a threat.

Oh yeah, Thank God I was born in the great state of Texas where breed specific legislation is unlawful. Otherwise this fine breed would be at the mercy of ill informed liberals.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SnkBit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nuisance animal? A cat standing on top of my Carrera is a nuisance animal. My dogs are neither a nuisance nor a threat. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SnkBit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh yeah, Thank God I was born in the great state of Texas where breed specific legislation is unlawful. Otherwise this fine breed would be at the mercy of ill informed liberals. </div></div>

I was born and lived there until 3 years ago so don't get to far ahead of yourself. To imply that the public is mis-informed en-mass is pretty arrogant and simply shows your personal bias. There is a reason that countless cities and people consider pit-bulls to be a nuisance and biased, non-objective, owners don't help their dog's cause or anyone else's cause. I have a Doberman and people that argue like you do only justify societies hate for these types of dogs.

Argue as I do? I do believe you threw the first stone. I have done or said nothing to reflect badly upon the breed. Your statements are without weight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SnkBit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Argue as I do? I do believe you threw the first stone. Your statements are without weight. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SnkBit</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Otherwise this fine breed would be at the mercy of ill informed liberals. </div></div>

come on fellas there is no need to fight amongst ourselves, like i said, take care of your animals, if you have a cat that is wild and goes crazy staying in the house, then take that cat to the forest and let nature take care of itself, sure he will eat some birds, rabbits, whatever, but eventually something will eat him, if you have a dog that cant stay in a yard and digs holes to get out, then fill in those holes or put a invisible fence up. I know i will get hammered on this, but i never understood people that let their animals sleep on their beds or lay on their furniture, whats even worse is seeing someone let their dog lick their face, and dont give me that bull about a dog has a cleaner mouth then humans.For those that believe its true, research it.I am not a dog or cat hater, just believe in responsability of pets.

CKA, again, stirring hate and discontent....
wink.gif

My opinion is that cats make excellent targets. Tough to sneek up on for a one good shoot. Very quick for a moving target target shoot. Excellent shooting practice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lu24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">research it. </div></div>

"people who believe that dogs' mouths are cleaner than humans' mouths are greatly mistaken, according to veterinarians who have spoken on the subject. Most humans have a strong belief in good hygiene, and brush their teeth at least once or twice every day. Human mouths rarely come into contact with external bacteria. Dogs' mouths, in contrast, are rarely cleaned in most cases. Dogs also have a tendency to sniff around and eat bacteria-filled waste — including rancid food and feces — whenever they are given the opportunity to do so. Contrary to popular belief, dogs' mouths are far dirtier than the mouths of the typical human being.

The reason that dogs' mouths rarely infect the wounds that they lick is that their licking has the effect of clearing away the dead tissue, similar to the work a surgeon would do to clean out a wound. Even though dogs' mouths are full of bacteria, dog bites do not usually cause infections in humans because most bacteria in dogs is particular to their species. Therefore, even if the dog is infected with a disease, the human is unlikely to catch it. For this reason, it is not especially dangerous to share food with a dog or to kiss dogs' mouths, though neither option is exactly the most hygienic of decisions."