• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors so torn on suppressors....SWR 762 vs SDN-6

bhunter

Private
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2012
Guys I have been up in the air about this now for a few weeks. I have always loved AAC and what they do in the market, but I have read and talked to several people now that have SDN-6s and they are not happy with there 51T QD system. Plus the SDN-6 is about 8db louder then the Specwar 762 on a 556 gun...If i get the Specwar 762 and use for my 556 gun I can then buy a Thunderbeast 30 and run on my 308, and 22-250 bolt guns...what do you guys think?

Guys I have been up in the air about this now for a few weeks. I have always loved AAC and what they do in the market, but I have read and talked to several people now that have SDN-6s and they are not happy with there 51T QD system. Plus the SDN-6 is about 8db louder then the Specwar 762 on a 556 gun...If i get the Specwar 762 and use for my 556 gun I can then buy a Thunderbeast 30 and run on my 308, and 22-250 bolt guns...what do you guys think?

If you're planning on getting a ThunderBeast suppressor in 30 cal for use on your 308 and 22-250, why don't you opt for a 223/556 suppressor for your 556 rifle(s) instead of the Specwar 762?

The specwar meters quieter that's true. It's also a decent amount longer so I would expect it to meter lower. Both cans are excellent. I have 5 51t mounts for my sdn6. Only 1 locks up perfect. The others are tiny bit off. I haven't noticed any accuracy issues and never had a can back off. My brake on my 308 bolt gun wobbles. It shoots sub moa with only a very slight left poi change. I guess some could be worse than others but imo the wobble is over blown. If it bothers you or does cause issues it takes just a little time to sand down the interface to get a tight fit. I haven't done any of mine.

The thunderbeasts are awesome as well and I've seen one put through a ton of fa abuse although I don't think I would do that a ton.

If you're planning on getting a ThunderBeast suppressor in 30 cal for use on your 308 and 22-250, why don't you opt for a 223/556 suppressor for your 556 rifle(s) instead of the Specwar 762?

I want a 30 cal supressor for my SCAR 17s and 300 BO gun, and I dont think that the Thunder Beast 30 would be up for that challenge lol!

To me it already looks like you talked yourself out of the AAC. I bought a Specwar 7.62 for multi cal use and a TBAC 30 for my Sako TRG42 in 300 WM. The TBAC is not meant for long strings of fire where the SWR is. Also the SWR 7.62 quiets the 5.56 down more than the SWR 5.56. A couple db's. Not enough for my ear to hear!

To me it already looks like you talked yourself out of the AAC. I bought a Specwar 7.62 for multi cal use and a TBAC 30 for my Sako TRG42 in 300 WM. The TBAC is not meant for long strings of fire where the SWR is. Also the SWR 7.62 quiets the 5.56 down more than the SWR 5.56. A couple db's. Not enough for my ear to hear!

Did you notice any accuracy change with the TBAC 30 vs non suppressed? Did you get a QD for that or did you do a thread on? Any change in recoil?

Did you notice any accuracy change with the TBAC 30 vs non suppressed? Did you get a QD for that or did you do a thread on? Any change in recoil?

I can't give you an answer on the TBAC as of yet being i am waiting for its get out of jail card. i can't imagine much of a difference in recoil due to the weight of the rifle and the muzzle break. The guys i shoot with have mentioned a bit of reduction and a small POI change.

I can't give you an answer on the TBAC as of yet being i am waiting for its get out of jail card. i can't imagine much of a difference in recoil due to the weight of the rifle and the muzzle break. The guys i shoot with have mentioned a bit of reduction and a small POI change.

when you install a suppressor does a muzzle break do much then if it is covered by the suppressor?

I agree I held the harvester and it was light, and with a street price of around $600 it could be a big challenger, I can't wait to see some testing.

This is interesting statement. I purchased a 30p1 for my bolt guns. And was looking for a suppressor for my AR15s and M1As. Your saying that if I bought a Specwar 7.62, that it would quiet down my 223 AR15s better than the caliber specific Specwar? If so, I'll be scratching the Specwar 556 off my list.

This is interesting statement. I purchased a 30p1 for my bolt guns. And was looking for a suppressor for my AR15s and M1As. Your saying that if I bought a Specwar 7.62, that it would quiet down my 223 AR15s better than the caliber specific Specwar? If so, I'll be scratching the Specwar 556 off my list.

There have been a few videos done showing the testing from Silencer shop and Silencerco as I recall that showed this. The only advantage I saw to the SWR 5.56 was the smaller size. The 7.62 has more volume.

There have been a few videos done showing the testing from Silencer shop and Silencerco as I recall that showed this. The only advantage I saw to the SWR 5.56 was the smaller size. The 7.62 has more volume.

Correct. Although the SpecWar 762 is a little quieter, the SpecWar 556 is definitely shorter and lighter.

looks like I am going to wait and get a Saker 762 now....

SWR all the way. The AAC mounting system is crap in my experience.

When can I order/get a saker in 7.62? Really wanting something I can put on my Rum and on the 10.5 sbr.

SWR all the way. The AAC mounting system is crap in my experience.

ya thats pretty much my thought right now....every local dealer has AACs in stock, all of those dealers are sold out of Specwar 762s.

I think Im going to save $300 and get the specwar 762 and not buy the Saker 762

As far as ANY suppressor for precision work the TBAC is by far the only way to go. I've been shooting a 30BA for a year now and I'm incredibly impressed with the consistency and repeatability. In terms of decibel reduction there aren't many suppressors out there that match the performance of the TBAC. I run a 5.56 as well with the same success as the 30BA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Saker is a cool idea. But I have to believe that those adapters have some slop in them. In my experience, the less movable parts the better when it comes to anything precision. But I dont own one, so who knows. it just seems overly complex

The Saker is a cool idea. But I have to believe that those adapters have some slop in them. In my experience, the less movable parts the better when it comes to anything precision. But I dont own one, so who knows. it just seems overly complex

Agreed, and this is very true even with the AAC cans. The PSR's are having a helluva time with them. The TBAC shines here too as the mounting interface is a very generous mating surface in the form of a fairly fine thread and a big bevel. The suppressor is also self tightening which aids in maintaining consistency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

update.....So I was set on getting a Specwar 762 until I went to two different stores that had both AAC uppers and SND-6s in stock. For everything I have read I would have thought the 51t is the worst QD.....Both uppers and both SDN-6s fit up perfect without any wiggle at all. I was shocked I did everything I could do to try to find any bit of wiggle/slop.....NOTHING. Im not saying that there are not SDN-6s with slop but I am saying the two different ones I saw were fine. What was a concern to me was the one local dealer did have a specwar 556 in stock and the end cap did not have a concentric hole in the middle it was offset, both me and the guy at the store were both shocked by that. I will say the QD of the Specwar is nice, but the SDN-6s that I used were nothing like what I have read everywhere.

Has anyone shot both the specwar and AAC SDN-6 side by side to see if they could actually hear a difference? Because if its only 2db louder then the specwar but 1.5inchs shorter, and 4 oz less I think I would rather go with AAC.

the end cap did not have a concentric hole in the middle it was offset, both me and the guy at the store were both shocked by that.

The hole in the end of my AAC is far from centered. Never had a issue or baffle strike since the hole in the end cap and the baffles are made at the same time. I wouldn't get too worried about it.

Last edited:
When you use the term "used" the SDN-6, are you talking about simply mounting it up in the dealers store? They truly are not the most rock solid mount, what you have read is true as the 51T system has some drawbacks. Personally I think AAC built a certain degree of the slop in there to ensure that they have enough room to play with their tolerances when switching from one mount to the next. If precision is the name of your game, a rock solid mount is going to be ideal. If multi-purpous blasting is all you desire, it's not as necessary. I personally like the brake attach from thunder beast for a precision rifle. That being said, my favorite true QD system on the market right now is the trifecta mount.

Has anyone shot both the specwar and AAC SDN-6 side by side to see if they could actually hear a difference?

Yeah, I have heard them at the last two demo shoots I've been to where a large array of suppressors are in use and you do notice a bit of a difference. And it's to be expected as you are giving up volume when you go to the SDN-6. It's not a fault of the SDN-6, it's simply a matter that the SDN-6 was designed to be a more compact style can and there are some benefits to that if you're going to be throwing it on say an SBR that you're trying to keep short and light, but it comes with some trade offs.

To me it sounds like you've already talked yourself into the SDN-6 and I think it's a good choice if it fits your needs. To date there is no suppressor on the market that does it all without any compromises. Anyone who tells you this can or that can do all is full of ****. Is this going to be your first suppressor?