• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

So we are starting to have snake problems!!!

wjwill

Off road Junkie
Minuteman
Supporter+
Nov 28, 2007
East KY and Georgia
This was spotted in the Morganza Spillway in Louisiana.

http://9reports.wafb.com/MediaItemView.aspx?id=1290866

87377d6d-86e9-42c9-968c-7485196a92d6.jpg

Re: So we are starting to have snake problems!!!

Dammit anyway! It is getting to be that time of year...

I recommend this: Bond Arms Ranger 45/410

2011-04-11_19-42-16_588.jpg

I have no idea what it is.... talking like Troy -"CHOOT EM! CHOOT EM!"

I know the Pythons are really getting to be a big problem in LA, but are you sure this isn't a "funny" photo? I know they get big, and there are now 10,000s of the Burmese(spelling) pythons down there, however, this doesn't look like a Python, it almost looks like a SA Python, with a ??? head. But nonetheless, looks like you could get a great pair of boots out of that skin!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paw print</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know the Pythons are really getting to be a big problem in LA, but are you sure this isn't a "funny" photo? I know they get big, and there are now 10,000s of the Burmese(spelling) pythons down there, however, this doesn't look like a Python, it almost looks like a SA Python, with a ??? head. But nonetheless, looks like you could get a great pair of boots out of that skin! </div></div>There are pythons in Louisiana?

KILL 'EM ALL... LET NOBODY SORT 'EM OUT!!!!!!

There is no way that was spotted in La. If it was it would already be skinned for the hide and cooked for supper. No coon-ass I know would ever risk letting it get away just to take a picture.

Since when did King Cobra's get into Louisiana? If so, I hope they are not migrating.
eek.gif

Yes, there has been an "invasion" of Burmese pythons in LA., due to fools letting them go. Here is a story from the L.A. Times:
April 20, 2010

With Burmese pythons infesting the Everglades, the state wildlife commission turned to a formidable force to kill them: Florida's licensed hunters.

"Our hunters are on the front lines," said Rodney Barreto, chairman of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, in a February announcement of a six-week python hunt. "And we hope, by tapping into their knowledge of the Everglades, we can make significant progress in this effort."

The hunt , which began March 8, ended Saturday. The total bagged: zero.

Officials attributed the hunt's failure primarily to the unusually cold winter, which they said killed about half of the pythons in south Florida. The species, which consumes native wildlife and competes for food with other top predators, remains a serious environmental threat, they said.

"There are still pythons out there," said Pat Behnke, spokeswoman for the wildlife commission. "It's still a problem we take very seriously."

But the hunt's poor results will play into a debate over a proposed federal ban on the interstate commerce of Burmese pythons.

Reptile dealers and hobbyists say the proposal is an overreaction to a local problem.

"This is an issue limited to a few counties in south Florida, and even there, they're susceptible to the cold," said Andrew Wyatt, president of the U.S. Assn. of Reptile Keepers, which represents hobbyists, breeders and dealers.

"I'm not saying it killed off every single Burmese python, but you're going to be hard-pressed to find any this year," Wyatt said. "The whole breeding cycle was interrupted. You're not going to have a crop of new babies this year."

No one knows how many hunters tried to find the snakes. They were required to report their kills, and Behnke said she doubted any hunters would keep that sort of information to themselves anyway. The best estimate is that a few dozen hunters participated, she said.

"It's a tough hunt," said Shawn Meiman, a hunter from Davie, Fla. "I've been out four times. I've gone to some really remote corners of the Everglades, where they should have been, and there weren't any."

Surviving pythons are typically smaller ones capable of wedging themselves into places that would give them shelter from the cold, but the wildlife commission says they still pose a threat.
They have been spotten in Louisiana, here is an article:

Giant pythons capable of swallowing a dog and even an alligator are rapidly making south Florida their home, potentially threatening other southeastern states, a study said.

"Pythons are likely to colonize anywhere alligators live, including north Florida, Georgia and Louisiana," said Frank Mazzotti, University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences professor, in his two-year study.

The pythons thriving in Florida are mostly Burmese pythons from Myanmar that were brought over as pets and then turned loose in the wild.

From 2002-2005, 201 of the beasts were caught by state authorities, but in the last two years the number has more than doubled to 418, Mazzotti said in his study published on the university Web site.

The largest python caught so far in Florida measured 16.4 feet and weighed 154 pounds.

Mazzotti said the serpents, despite their awesome size, are not poisonous, but are excellent swimmers and able to cover great distances in little time. Some, trapped and released with radio transmitters, swam 37 miles in a few hours.

Highly adaptable, pythons prey on cats, dogs, hares, foxes, squirrels, raccoons and even alligators, allowing them to thrive in a variety of environments.

After populating the Florida Everglades -- a vast marshland -- ,b>where it is estimated they number 30,000, the giant python is now spreading across the rest of the peninsula.

"Females may store sperm, so they can produce fertile clutches for years. And a 100-something pound snake can easily be producing 60, 80 eggs a year," said Mazzotti, adding that the reptile could eventually populate the entire southern United States.

This problem will only get worse, if they aren't killed off, all the flooding we've had here in the south isn't going to help things.

I don't understand why, if it's a non native species, there would need to be a "season" for them. If they want them gone, open them up to hunting year round with any device or weapon which is legal for hunting other species. If they are creating a substantial problem for the environment put a small bounty on each python head brought in.

They'll likely never eradicate them but with the current unemployment and financial difficulties, I'm sure there are plenty of folks who would be willing to go hunting if it could put a few dollars in the pocket.

There are several invasive species that are drilling Florida and surrounding states; the python, the bullseye snakehead, monitor lizards, cane toads, and rats. Along with other snakes, lionfish, and other assorted critters.

IMHO there are 2 answers;

1: Open season bounties
2: Get people to want to eat them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't understand why, if it's a non native species, there would need to be a "season" for them. If they want them gone, open them up to hunting year round with any device or weapon which is legal for hunting other species. If they are creating a substantial problem for the environment put a small bounty on each python head brought in.

They'll likely never eradicate them but with the current unemployment and financial difficulties, I'm sure there are plenty of folks who would be willing to go hunting if it could put a few dollars in the pocket. </div></div>
Right ON! To really get the hunts going, I would pay in an increasing higher rate, for example: Per Year 1-5 $10.00 each, 6-15 $20.00 each etc. A few classes on the skinning of snake hide, along with some printed material- while encouraging the local craftsman to purchase the skins, could start a small industry in these states. It doesn't appear that the state is harnessing the power of the hunting public (numbers) maybe politics is at it again. Maybe someone is getting $$$ to study the problem, others are getting $$$ to "solve the problem", the grants given to a state university(s), etc. Make it clear no license is needed, hunt 24-7 for theses "varmints", and a bounty should make them a thing of the past in a faily short amount of time!

Did it come off a plane and was Samuel L. Jackson chasing it?

I wonder if any are in here?

http://tinyurl.com/5spq9re

That's the USF golf course, famously known as "The Claw", named after the 14th hole, a devilishly difficult par 5 on the south eastern corner of the course. It is flanked by a few thousand acres of dense cypress hammock and is home to abundant numbers of gaters, snakes, deer, turtles, ibises, hawks, frigate birds and many other critters.

It's also a great source of once fired Titleists, TaylorMade, Bridgestone and other quality golf balls some dare not search for!

I recommend going in with a 7 iron!

laugh.gif

If that's in Alaska we are all screwed!
Bond Rangers for all!

Wait......That looks like tiled floor!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pic is compliments of Crazy Donkey in Tucson.
grin.gif