• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes So, what about Leupold Mark 5 ?

I have the 5HD 7 x 35 with 60 MOA impact reticle on a 338 LM and it's the best scope I've ever used. After reading the contents of this thread I realize that I should actually be hating it and finding that it sucks. What should I do?

IMG_3609.jpg

^ i have no complaints. tracks perfectly, good in low light, has the reticle i wanted and has stood up to the scar.
maybe being a poor, i am not qualified to talk shit about it, but i understand some people have bias based on prior experience with leupold scopes.
then again, i run a scar, so i'm not an ar fanboy either.

I think you should do/use whatever works for blownPrimer? If it's best you have ever used...keep using it. Maybe upgrade down the road on your next rifle. I usually keep my optics and swap them to other arms when I get something new.

Anyone found a good neoprene scope cover that will fit the 5-25x56?? I orderd Leupolds XXL one but its too small...
Is this with or without sun shade? I was going to order the xxL Leupold today for my MK5 5-25x56

Has anyone used a 3-18 on a 22lr? I read some people saying they can parallax it much closer than the advertised 75 yards.

Has anyone used a 3-18 on a 22lr? I read some people saying they can parallax it much closer than the advertised 75 yards.
I run the 3-18 on my Ruger precision rimfire. Great 22 scope in my opinion, especially for NRL/Prs 22 matches. Parallax isn’t a problem.
1606514708452.jpeg

Can anyone speak to the T3 illuminated? I'm considering picking one up.
I just got the Mark5, illuminated T3. I don’t have much experience behind it yet but I’m not sure that I’m sold on the reticle. The reticle itself is a little hard for me to pick up on low power, even with the illumination. Is there anything in particular you want to know about the illuminated T3?

I just got the Mark5, illuminated T3. I don’t have much experience behind it yet but I’m not sure that I’m sold on the reticle. The reticle itself is a little hard for me to pick up on low power, even with the illumination. Is there anything in particular you want to know about the illuminated T3?
3-18 or 5-25?

I'm looking at the 3-18 to eventually put on my LMT MWS, assuming I ever get it.

Mostly want to know how well it lights up and how easy it is to see at low magnification.

Reactions: CageFighter
I'm looking at the 3-18 to eventually put on my LMT MWS, assuming I ever get it.

Mostly want to know how well it lights up and how easy it is to see at low magnification.
I got the 5x25. You can make out the main crosshair and wind dots decently at low power. But the rest of the mil marks is hard to see for me below maybe 12x. I am also looking through it in a heavily dark timber environment. I imagine it’s better in other environments. The illumination is decent. At the lower levels it just illuminates the center dots. At full illumination it lights up the whole reticle. Although the illumination is not bright enough to pick up at low power during the day. I’ll try taking pictures with the illumination on later. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Bazooka
$500 for illumination is not being competitive, especially when it's standard on everything from a Leapers to a Razor.
$500 is a lot, but if I understand correctly the reason for the steep price increase is that the Mark 5HD is waterproof down to +/- 50-60 meters & adding electronics makes it much more difficult to achieve. I haven’t tried, but I don’t know if a Vortex will take that kind of water torture test. If the Vortex failed I know they have a great warranty. So many fail it’s easy to see thier warranty is great. It gets a lot of use.

Leupold rep told my friend at SHOT that they're hands down better than the Mark 6 on design alone and glass is closer to the Mark 8.

I've seen the 5-25 TMR for $2000/2100, CCH for $2200, and H59/Tremor3 for $2300 all without illum of course. Illum puts it in the $2500-2800 range.
If Mil/Vet/LE/ or I think NRA instructors their discount is amazing. It’s hard not to buy one. I don’t know if their warranty is good. I’ve been using them for 40+ years & never sent one in. I can vouch for Vortex’s warranty. I’ve had many friends need to use it and they do stand behind it.

Leupold CS took care of me pretty well. I had some kind of debris on the reticle plane. Sent it out and had a new scope within a week and a half.

Reactions: Lynn313
I recently bought a MK5 7-35x56 with PR2 reticle and I like it alot so far. I'm no scope "expert", but it does what I need it to do with great turrets and glass and the reticle is super clean.

A buddy of mine acquired 2 broken Mark IV scopes while overseas. He sent them to Leupold and they sent him two NIB Mark IV scopes.

I sent one variXii back for work about 20 years ago. Came back like new. Leupold has good CS.

$500 is a lot, but if I understand correctly the reason for the steep price increase is that the Mark 5HD is waterproof down to +/- 50-60 meters & adding electronics makes it much more difficult to achieve. I haven’t tried, but I don’t know if a Vortex will take that kind of water torture test. If the Vortex failed I know they have a great warranty. So many fail it’s easy to see thier warranty is great. It gets a lot of use.
Vortex is rated down to 100 meters.

I know a guy who does all the mil standards testing on optics for SOCOM.

He said the new Vortex Venom is the most waterproofed scope he has ever tested. Obviously it doesn't have illumination but it prove Vortex knows a thing or two about waterproofing.

Reactions: Lynn313

He said the new Vortex Venom is the most waterproofed scope he has ever tested. Obviously it doesn't have illumination but it prove Vortex knows a thing or two about waterproofing.
No illumination may tie into why such a cost increase on Leupold. I can see where it adds costs having more electronics waterproof. Not sure of exact depth of Mark 5HD. Also, have never held the venom. Thanks for info.

I wonder in what world one would need a scope (besides military use) to be rated at 100 meters? Seems to me alot of military contracts the "specs" for products like scopes are different than a civilian model

I have a 7-35x for sale in the px with spuhr 5002 mount & Aadmount caps for $1900 shipped. It’s in perfect condition. Also selling an XRS3 new with Aadmount caps for $1400 shipped

Last edited:
With these scopes being out for a while now, what are peoples thoughts on durability, repeatability, and use?

We sell a lot of Mk5. We always recommend ZCO first, but that's not always in everyone's budget or weight requirements. Most of our customers are hunters. Some are rough with their equipment and others aren't. To our knowledge, no one has had any issues.

There's also a metric ton of sponsored and non sponsored shooters beating Mk5's around props every weekend for the last few years. And there aren't very many complaints to be found.

IMO, it checks all the durability and repeatability boxes. You don't get Alpha Tier glass and such for the price they go for......but you don't sacrifice any durability.

Reactions: stanley_white
Rokslide evaluated 2 of them, one 5-25 and one 3.6-18. The reviews are easily searchable by “rokslide field evaluation mk5”

Rokslide evaluated 2 of them, one 5-25 and one 3.6-18. The reviews are easily searchable by “rokslide field evaluation mk5”
So they both failed. Are there other examples of this, or just their samples?

So they both failed. Are there other examples of this, or just their samples?
I know of 2 that went back for turret work and have an acquaintance that has seen a few more go down.

I understand small sample size etc, people are gonna follow their heart, but Figured I’d mention the evaluations since you asked about durability now that they are out there.

Last edited:
I’m usually a nightforce guy. I have several, and I do not baby my gear. I’ve RMA’d six nightforce scopes. I’ve even had to return an elcan 1-4 for service, and they say those are absurdly tough.

All I want is a scope to track consistently, accurately, and hold zero through long periods of use. I’m very curious about these scopes because the specs, especially the 3.6-18, is very appealing for a midrange optic.

Reactions: DangerRanger
I’m usually a nightforce guy. I have several, and I do not baby my gear. I’ve RMA’d six nightforce scopes. I’ve even had to return an elcan 1-4 for service, and they say those are absurdly tough.

All I want is a scope to track consistently, accurately, and hold zero through long periods of use. I’m very curious about these scopes because the specs, especially the 3.6-18, is very appealing for a midrange optic.
Six NF RMA’s, whoa.

Hmmm, I think you are on the outer edge of the “hard on scopes” graph.

I think you probably just have to try one.

Lol rma 6 scopes, return an elcan….

Man internet is crazy these days.

Reactions: carbonbased
Lol rma 6 scopes, return an elcan….

Man internet is crazy these days.
Majority of the NF RMA’s were for issues identified that did not impair absolutely critical function of the scope, but were nonetheless obvious issues. Cracks in glass, frozen/inoperable magnification adjustment, floating debris in the optic tube, etc. All across ATACR and NX8 models.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheMammoth
Majority of the NF RMA’s were for issues identified that did not impair absolutely critical function of the scope, but were nonetheless obvious issues. Cracks in glass, frozen/inoperable magnification adjustment, floating debris in the optic tube, etc. All across ATACR and NX8 models.
The first ATACR 4-16 I got in 2015 got swapped for a new unit by NF due to what looked like oil droplets inside the scope.

Never had a single problem with the one they sent or any of the ones after, still my favorite flavor of scope specifically the 4-16.

Reactions: plong
I have several Leupold M-5 illuminated Pr-1’s #180725. I think they are great. The glass is good, weight is excellent, and magnification meets my needs. If you qualify for a discount, illumination is affordable. The warranty is fantastic if you ever need it. I just purchased two Zeiss S3 4.5x25x50 on sale. That is the best bargain (in my opinion), but I do not like the weight.

I liked the Mark 5 3.6-18x44 and plan to test one when the opportunity presents.

I am probably in the minority here, but I think moving to a 35mm tube is a good move for Leupold. That gives them some uniformity with Mark 8 (and I think Mark 6 will be either re-deisgned or made LE/Mil only option at some point, like the Mark 4). Also, keep in mind that Leupold also makes and sells mounts, so they can do whatever diameter they want if they are so inclined. Either way, there are enough 35mm mounts out there.

The outstanding feature of the Mark 5 is still compactness, and I suspect that the turrets have everything they learned on the Mark 6 incorporated into them. If I were to be a betting man, I would bet that the 3.6-18x44 Mark 5 will outperform the 3-18x44 Mark 6 if you put them side by side. Also, while illumination is still expensive, it is not as expensive as on the Mark 6.

I think they need to do more with reticles, but it is workable as is.

I plan to test one.

ILya

You called it. Mark 6 is Leo/Mill only. The mark 5 also outperforms the mark 6, I have 2 copies of each I've tested side by side.

Razor Gen 1 was 35mm, so there were plenty of mounts on the market.

Only miss was the ultra short 3.8-18 has some CA, the 5-25 and 7-35 I've seen punch well above their price range.

Only shortfall I've found comparing to zco and pmII, the focus is lacking past 1500 or so. Up until then my eyes can't see a difference, stretch them to 3k and I can easily tell especially the pmII is clearer.

So I wouldn't put one on an ELR rig, I keep putting Mark 5s and nx8s on my rifles because the cost vs features and glass is in the sweet spot.

The LRTSi will still smoke this Leupold, not sure why anyone would waste money on this company who has exactly 2 products even worth owning (deltapoint and CQBSS). Everything else gets smoked by someone better, cheaper, more reliable,ect.

When you can get an illuminated LRSTI for $1100 that has a better reticle, better tracking, illumination and probably better glass at almost half the price, its not even worth entertaining.

This didn't age well. Unless the examples I've seen didn't represent the whole, the lrtsi glass is like looking through a cloud compared to the mark 5.

Could you expand upon what happened, how much use/abuse, how leupold handled fixing it, and if the scopes were still useable?