• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

So what brand chronograph is the hide favorite?

I will be picking up a labradar here in a few months.

Magnetospeed is nice, but I don't like anything touching the gun or effecting my shot when I shoot.

I've used an OEHLER 35 for a dozen years now. I like the idea of THREE screens and the software checking the velocity TWICE to see if the two readings agree with each other.

I was using a cheapie Crony years ago and it seemed that EXACTLY when I needed readings.... it would give me those F'in ERROR messages. No huge deal when I was testing ammo on one of the hunting rifles, but it did it to me twice shooting .416 Rigby over it with $3 a pop bullets. And another time as I was getting beat to death by a friends .338 Lapua without a brake....OUCH.

It doesn't affect your shot when you shoot.

Everything effects your shot. You control the things you can, calculate and compensate for the things you can't.

It has no effect, if you never used it you can't say it does, I have shot 1/4 MOA groups with it without issue. It has no adverse effects on accuracy at all and only on some barrels have I seen it move everything up.

It never misses a shot, is not dependent on the light conditions and it's been put against chronographs that cost 3x more and the results speak for themselves.

I have an Oehler 35P, PVM-21, CED M3, SuperChrono and the MagnetoSpeed, it's the go too unit without a doubt.

It works, I use it indoor and out, in fact I use it on every students gun in every local class I teach.

It does not affect the shot. Been testing it and it does not affect point of impact or accuracy.

It has no effect, if you never used it you can't say it does, I have shot 1/4 MOA groups with it without issue. It has no adverse effects on accuracy at all and only on some barrels have I seen it move everything up.

It never misses a shot, is not dependent on the light conditions and it's been put against chronographs that cost 3x more and the results speak for themselves.

I have an Oehler 35P, PVM-21, CED M3, SuperChrono and the MagnetoSpeed, it's the go too unit without a doubt.

It works, I use it indoor and out, in fact I use it on every students gun in every local class I teach.

It is a great piece of equipment, and if you are shooting good with it, it's because you are compensating for it like you should.

In my opinion its currently the best thing out there, I can't wait to compare it to the labradar, with nothing touching the firearm.

Magnetospeed. My group hits about a half mil high at 100 but its as accurate as without.

I have a magneto speed and couldn't be happier. Now they are getting ready to release V3. I'd wait and her that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Vp H cmhbffc

Also the magneto speed is way easy to set up and use. I wish they would one out with a pistol attachment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Vp H cmhbffc

That LabRadar thing looks the balls.

Just set it next to your rifle, point it in the direction of your bullet flight and it reads?

Sounds kind of too good to be true. Ive wanted a chrono but dont want to add to the crap load of stuff I already bring to the range. This looks ideal.

It doesn't affect your shot when you shoot.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree, anything you attach to the barrel of a rifle has some effect regardless of how minimum or how extreme there is an impact effect down range. That's why there are things called tuners we attach to our barrels to squeeze that last .01 of accuracy out of our loads.

It does not.

And if it does it is undetectable outside of an indoor shooting tunnel, machine rest, and absolutely perfect load tuned to the rifle.

I've heard nothing but good stuff about magnetospeed. But as someone said above, the labradar looks like the nuts; easy setup, no interference, accuracy to 0.1%. Can't beat that

The labradar looks intriging. Is it out yet? I saw somewhere a while back a Jan 2014 release. I want to see a real life demo. Or one on you tube. Curious if it picks up other shooters next to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The labradar looks intriging. Is it out yet? I saw somewhere a while back a Jan 2014 release. I want to see a real life demo. Or one on you tube. Curious if it picks up other shooters next to you.

It's not available yet. It will not pick up other shooters (they explain this in the FAQ) It can be used with an iPhone, iPad or iPod I assume to place it down range if you're not looking for muzzle velocity.

It appears to be very flexible without any of the downsides some of the others have.

Last edited:
It does not.

And if it does it is undetectable outside of an indoor shooting tunnel, machine rest, and absolutely perfect load tuned to the rifle.

I purchased one of the 1st run of the original MagnetoSpeed chronographs and I've done probably as much testing as anyone here to convince myself it wasn't affecting group size, only POI. Until recently, I was convinced it did not affect group size/shape. However, I recently started doing load development at a 100 yd indoor range here in SD with an extremely accurate GAP .223 bolt gun. Sub-half MOA is routine for this rifle with several types of 77 gr commercial ammo. FGMM 77s typically shoot 0.2-0.3 MOA.

Even though I had not seen any prior evidence the MagnetoSpeed was affecting group size/shape, I did not want to do the OCW groups with it hanging off the barrel. I've always found it hard to accept that a device of that size/weight/shape did not affect barrel harmonics because it easily weighs as much as some types of commonly-used barrel tuners. So I shot my 5-shot groups like I usually do, prone off a Duplin bipod/ Edgewood rear bag. I then put the MagnetoSpeed on and shot more 5-shot groups while determining MVs for each charge weight. I'm sorry to say that under these conditions, it is very easy to see that in fact the MagnetoSpeed DOES alter barrel harmonics, changing not only the POI, but the group size/shape as well. I have now observed this phenomenon on three successive trips and am convinced beyond any doubt. I suspect I did not see it before because I was shooting .308 rifles outdoors that although very accurate, are not quite the tack driver this .223 bolt gun is, and have the added complication of greater recoil.

Anyone wishing to believe the MagnetoSpeed isn't affecting barrel harmonics during load development in a significant way is certainly entitled to do so. Having initially been of that same opinion, I am now convinced otherwise. Just because you may not always see it doesn't mean it isn't there. If it's touching the barrel, it will affect the harmonics.

Last edited:
how much did it affected the groups. i was wondering the same thing the other day as i attached my magnetospeed. so i shot groups without and could not tell the difference. but same as you 300 win mag and 308 that shoot between 1/2 and 1 moa.

I purchased one of the 1st run of the original MagnetoSpeed chronographs and I've done probably as much testing as anyone here to convince myself it wasn't affecting group size, only POI. Until recently, I was convinced it did not affect group size/shape. However, I recently started doing load development at a 100 yd indoor range here in SD with an extremely accurate GAP .223 bolt gun. Sub-half MOA is routine for this rifle with several types of 77 gr commercial ammo. FGMM 77s typically shoot 0.2-0.3 MOA.

Even though I had not seen any prior evidence the MagnetoSpeed was affecting group size/shape, I did not want to do the OCW groups with it hanging off the barrel. I've always found it hard to accept that a device of that size/weight/shape did not affect barrel harmonics because it easily weighs as much as some types of commonly-used barrel tuners. So I shot my 5-shot groups like I usually do, prone off a Duplin bipod/ Edgewood rear bag. I then put the MagnetoSpeed on and shot more 5-shot groups while determining MVs for each charge weight. I'm sorry to say that under these conditions, it is very easy to see that in fact the MagnetoSpeed DOES alter barrel harmonics, changing not only the POI, but the group size/shape as well. I have now observed this phenomenon on three successive trips and am convinced beyond any doubt. I suspect I did not see it before because I was shooting .308 rifles outdoors that although very accurate, are not quite the tack driver this .223 bolt gun is, and have the added complication of greater recoil.

Anyone wishing to believe the MagnetoSpeed isn't affecting barrel harmonics during load development in a significant way is certainly entitled to do so. Having initially been of that same opinion, I am now convinced otherwise. Just because you may not always see it doesn't mean it isn't there. If it's touching the barrel, it will affect the harmonics.

My tack driving .308 isn't affected at all.

Maybe if you shot your tackd driving .223 off a decent rest with some stable loads you'd see what I'm seeing.

As mentioned anything touching the barrel changes harmonics and no I don't own one of these and I wont due to fact its gonna change something regardless of what's being said. Talk to any benchrest shooter and they will tell the same story. Its plain and simple physics period.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Bench rest shooters don't like anything or anyone touching their guns. I think they blow on the trigger to fire.

Dude, seriously? That's laughable. The load I developed with that setup that puts 5 shots into almost the same hole with the MagnetoSpeed off. It's closer to 3/4 MOA for that load with it attached. Believe whatever you want, I have no interest whatsoever in how you do load development. But the assertion it doesn't affect harmonics is not something that will stand up to rigorous scrutiny and if you knew almost anything about physics you'd realize it.

The reason your quarter minute load triples in size with the unit attached is because your load is a piece of shit. If you had a stable load, tuned to your barrel, it would be unaffected by the unit.

You should see my load development. It's awesome.

Been running a CED and I'm done with it, it's a PITA to set up, it's completely dependent on light source, and if it's windy the damn thing goes in the dirt. I just sent the email to mile high today for the V3 group buy.

I don't have any misconceptions that it may or may not effect harmonics as it will, plain and simple. That doesn't necessarily mean it will effect groups at say, depends on the range, the barrel, load, etc but it may. That said, I'll find the load that shoots good, then figure out what speed it's running.

The reason your quarter minute load triples in size with the unit attached is because your load is a piece of shit. If you had a stable load, tuned to your barrel, it would be unaffected by the unit.

Lmao!!!!

Well, if nothing else you're entertaining. Unfortunately, it's pretty clear to anyone with any knowledge and expertise whatsoever that you're also highly opinionated and sadly misinformed. I'm also quite sure your load development IS awesome considering the reputation you seem to have with yourself. In all likelihood that is why you got your panties in such a wad at the mere suggestion that the MagnetoSpeed might affect barrel harmonics. No amount of evidence will ever change the opinion of someone so ignorant as to believe and actually state that such a device should have no discernible effect at all. Your subsequent statement regarding the effect of the MagnetoSpeed on group size of a "stable" load is so patently wrong it's beyond comprehension. Ever heard of a barrel tuner? Do you have any understanding whatsoever of what even small adjustments of one can do to group dynamics shot using your so-called "stable" load? No? What a shame. You might want to look into that.

In any event, my comments, although clearly beyond your comprehension, may be informative to someone else a little less narrow minded that may be reading this thread. FWIW to those individuals - I wouldn't trade my MagnetoSpeed for anything. It's probably the single best [modestly priced] shooting purchase I've ever made. It's reliable, simple to use, and gives accurate readings. However, I won't do load development with it attached for the specific reasons I stated above. Like anything else, YMMV.

See, this is the problem: I shot a .4" group without the Magnetospeed. Then I attached it and shot another .4" group in the same spot. Cleraly, according to your analysis, I should have shot a .1" group. But the Magnetospeed opened it up threefold.

You speak the jargon but have no clue how it really works in practice.

You're awesome!

Ummmm.......isn't the sole purpose of the Magneto to get your bullet SPEED.......not ACCURACY anyway? Am I missing something here?

[MENTION=12324]918v[/MENTION] Thanks for the comic relief!

My experience with the V2 unit has been if it affects the accuracy of the rifle, I can't shoot the difference. I'm the kind of shooter that can sometimes make a 5 or 6 or 7 shot bughole at 200 yards, and then try again and get a 1/2+ moa group. I guess I'm saying on average, I'm good for somewhere between 1/2-3/4 moa.

Anyway, I've shot some tiny little bugholes with the magnetospeed attached, and I've shot some 3/4moa groups too.

As for POI shift, I've rarely seen it. I've had the unit on at least 6 different rifles and only saw a definite POI shift on one of them. Interestingly, the one that shifted was the *heaviest* contour barrel I've had it on - a Savage 12LRP! Meanwhile, no detectable shift on a 28" 7mm medium palma, nor on a 24" 6mm light palma.

In summary, I LOVE my magnetospeed. That's coming from a shooting Chrony and a CED M2, and having used a 35P a good amount. I suppose if I were a 1000 yard F class shooter, I'd probably want a chrono that didn't hang off the barrel, but for a field rifle, I'm extremely pleased with the MS V2. It packs completely into a little pistol box, attaches in a minute or less, and never misses a shot regardless of the lighting conditions. It's been worth every penny.

Will the Magnetospeed work with a Sako Muzzle brake on a TRG42? Or do you need to remove the muzzle brake?

My choice was a Pact Professional Xp I'm lazy and like the printer. Also, because it has Infra-red sensors, I can get readings in all kinds of light conditions. When it's cloudy and overcast here I am often the only one in a line of shooters who have chrono's set up that get readings. They don't just miss one here or there, they get NO readings due to the heavy overcast.

If I were to go out and buy one today it would probably be a magneto speed. The fact that I can arrive at the range, install the chrono, and shoot (even if it's just at the berm) without a cease fire makes it worthwhile. How many of you have shot at club ranges where one shooter spends 10 minutes just setting up his chrono then calls for an immediate cease fire so he can "adjust"?

There are other I/R type chrono's besides the PACT and if the magneto speed wasn't "in my network" I'd at least get a chrono that used the I/R technology. Not every day has ideal lighting conditions.

@James n TN
Yes, it doesn't effect it, it's below... the brake is too the side, and if you look at the design it's meant to cut it away... it has no effect, brake, suppressor, plain barrel.

Good try though, the fact you haven't used one lends to your credibility when talking about the limitations.

Try putting your screens 10ft in front of your .50 cal brake and see what happens.

The best part, it never misses a number.