• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

So what should my next evil black rifle be?

Smith97z71

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2012
NW Ohio
I have it down to a .223 or 6.8 SPCII. I already have a 6.5 Grendel and really want a 6.8 but am wondering if I should get a .223 just for ammo availability and commonality. If a do a .223 AR it won't be anything fancy but will be built solid. If i do a 6.8 II I will probably put some extra cash into it and will be a very accurate gun. Im leaning towards the 6.8 SPC II and just buying a run of the mill Rock River or lower end Colt .223.

What do you guys think?

your choices I would get a 223

but don't over look these

300blk

or

since you have the scalpel (6.5) get the hammer

50 Beowulf

logo.jpg

Last edited:
I think we need to know what you have in mind for the rifle...then which of the two caliber options to choose from becomes a much clearer question.

That said...the Sniper's Hide/Ford Motor Company mantra of "'And' is better" comes into play!! Meaning...why have a .223 or 6.8SPCII when you can have a .223 AND a 6.8SPCII!!! ;)

your choices I would get a 223

but don't over look these

300blk

or

since you have the scalpel (6.5) get the hammer

50 Beowulf

logo.jpg

My dad has a 300blk and Im just not sold on it yet. The .50 Beowulf is just a bit overkill and my brother has always "warned" me that his .50 Beo is a guranteed bruise lol

I think we need to know what you have in mind for the rifle...then which of the two caliber options to choose from becomes a much clearer question.

That said...the Sniper's Hide/Ford Motor Company mantra of "'And' is better" comes into play!! Meaning...why have a .223 or 6.8SPCII when you can have a .223 AND a 6.8SPCII!!! ;)

Well eventually there will be an "and" lol. If I have a .223 its just going to be a fun and cheaper gun to shoot. Possibly even just play around with some flip up sights or a red dot. Ive always like just shooting iron sights and a cheaper AR will do. If I do the 6.8 it will be for a 300 yard range and possibly hunting. Neither gun is a necessity or is needed. They will both be just to "have" and for fun.

Do one in 6mm!
6x6.8/6mm dti/6mm woa/6mm hager/6mm turbo/6mm AR....list goes on.
Great for varmints to deer also and very accurate.

If you hunt, the 6.8 wins hands down. If it's mainly for play with long strings of fire 5.56 is much cheaper.

My 5.56 guns rarely leave the safe these days. My 6.8s & .308s are at the range a lot, and a 6.8 is my go to hunting rig.

I started with a 5.56, but then I wanted more power for deer hunting so I built a 6.8 . I love it.

Grendel is my favorite also, but if I were limited to only 2 AR15's the second pick would be a .204! However your choices were down to .223 or 6.8, thus I would pick the .556 as you already have a deer rifle and need a varmint rifle.

Do you reload? My buddy runs a few BA 6.8spc2's and uses them for hunting hogs and deer, he loves them. He also reloads and says it is a reloading caliber.

6.8 is a BA caliber. I hunt with it and reload and it's my favorite rifle. Shot this the other day with it and some hand loads at 100. Was sitting at a bench but didn't have bags or anything.

null_zps858e0bb3.png

If you go with a 6.8, get an AR15 Performance barrel. THE best for the money. The barrel that shot those only had 50 rounds down the pipe at the time.

6.5 grendel, is IMO the best hunting cartridge out of a AR15 sized platform, I teach long range shooting classes every once in a while on my off time from the Army, and 3 of my students used the grendel out to 1000 Meters, one with a 6 inch group.

I killed a few Antelope this year with it, 300 Meters and my partner did the same with his, so far I have killed 7 Animals with the Grendel and they died quick.

My dad has a 300blk and Im just not sold on it yet. The .50 Beowulf is just a bit overkill and my brother has always "warned" me that his .50 Beo is a guranteed bruise lol

for the record my 10 year old shot the 50 twice off the bench today, and asked for more

No real budget right now and once I have a 6.8 SPCII (probably a barrel from AR15 Perfomance as mentioned above), a .223, and a Grendel (already have as mentioned) I think Ill be happy with the AR-15 Collection. I really want a 6.8 SPCII and want it done right but as far as .223 Im not picky and don't plan on putting a bunch of money into the .223 caliber. Im thinking for .223 just a 16 or 18 inch pre assembled rifle will be fine for me. I already have a PSA lower and an Aero Stipped upper that will probably be for an eventual 6.8. The .223 for me will just be a "fun" gun and the 6.8 will be a hunting setup

6.5 grendel, is IMO the best hunting cartridge out of a AR15 sized platform, I teach long range shooting classes every once in a while on my off time from the Army, and 3 of my students used the grendel out to 1000 Meters, one with a 6 inch group.

I killed a few Antelope this year with it, 300 Meters and my partner did the same with his, so far I have killed 7 Animals with the Grendel and they died quick.

Nice! I like the Grendel myself, thats why it was my first true AR gun. I just don't really plan to ever be able to do any benchrest or long range shooting. Guess im more of just a "Casual" Shooter for the fun. I will never be a 1000 yard shooter or anything even close to it lol

If you've got ARs you've got to have a 223 in the safe. You don't have to spend a lot of money for it to shoot well. I run 223 and 330blk myself but I have a can and like playing with subs. If I were to go with another caliber it would definitely be 6.8. Its just a tough all around caliber and with the bergers can fly right there with the Grendel.

IMG_0019.jpgIMG_0018.jpgIMG_0025.jpg

I agree with musky Jerky...If you are hunting within 100-150yards..The 50 Beowulf will move the game off there feet..It is a great pig killer..Here is mine in a 10.5" Registered SBR

6.8 no question. One less person driving up the price of 5.56. :D

Build the 6.8 now, get the 5.56 later. For the sole reason that there's a lot more 6.8 parts available right now than 5.56 parts, at least barrels....