• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

So what would you do if some ammo went kaboom?

Lofty

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2008
Lenexa KS
I bought 400 rounds of 175 SMK 308 match from a big name reloader.

I recently traded some as part of a deal to another hide member. He just PMed me back that one blew up in his gun. I don't have any details to specifics but I'm sure he is OK.

First, what could cause it aside from faulty ammo if it was being fired from what appeared to be a normally functioning rifle?

Also, what should I do with the rest of it? Would just trust shooting the rest of the batch?

Should I send it back to the manufacturer? If I can't trust them to do it right the first time, how can I trust them to do it right a second?

Re: So what would you do if some ammo went kaboom?

Have the shooter contact the remanufacturer. The problem is he didn't buy the ammo you did. That could add problems even if they have a return policy.

I shot some remanufactured ammo before I started loading my own, mostly pistol. My trust solution was to load my own ammo.

As to shooting the rest, I wouldn't trust it. Too many points of failure to consider. If you can't return for a refund, I'd pull the bullets and trash the brass and powder. I'd measure the bullets before I reused them, too.

Luckily no....he did get burned though from the flash.

I have also been contacted by someone else here who said they have bought ammo from this manufacturer and have had many cases rupture. He guessed who the manufacturer was since he has had so many of the same problems.

Now I know I won't be shooting it. I've got 320 rounds of the stuff I have to send back to them. I don't want replacement, I want a refund.

Any idea on how it failed? I'd have to guess case head separation to get any flash past the bolt face (assuming it was a bolt gun). Weak brass? Shot out brass?

Send the manufacturer the detail's and lot number.
It's not just you your talking about but ANYONE that bought from that same lot.
Don't waste time contact them BEFORE someone get's killed.

Wow that's nuts. I definitely wouldn't shoot any of that ammo, it sucks that you have so much of it though. I had a primer come out of a hornady tap .223 round once, immediately stopped shooting that box. I told them about it but they didn't seem to care. Hopefully you have better luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zuke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Send the manufacturer the detail's and lot number.
Don't waste time contact them BEFORE someone get's killed. </div></div>

I agree......apparently they already know about it.

Personally I think they should do a recall.

There this a local shop here that sells their "custom reloaded" ammo, so I walked up to the counter and asked. If your ammo blows up my Kimber do you stand behind it. They didnt' have an answer so I bought factory loads. I think you are taking a pretty good risk buying from some of the smaller reloaders. I'm sure some don't carry insurance policies if they really get a load wrong...

So who was the ammo maker?

I know I had a similar problem a few years back with a case head seperation from a remanufactered ammo maker. Peppered my face and blew out my extractor. They took care of the problem.

P1010050.jpg

P1010047.jpg

Some other cases showed they were close as well.
P1010046.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lofty</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zuke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Send the manufacturer the detail's and lot number.
Don't waste time contact them BEFORE someone get's killed. </div></div>

I agree......apparently they already know about it.

Personally I think they should do a recall. </div></div>

Then quit covering their ass for them and start saying who it is.
Life's too short to worry about hurting someone's feeling if they don't stand behind their product.
And when one blow's up on you and does some damage what will you do then?
What about the guy you sold some to?
If this company cared about customer SAFETY and not a quick buck they'd come good.

OK, here's the deal. I've dealt with the company and they are resolving the problem.

Apparently they had purchased some faulty components and had some problems with it over a year ago.

Normally my concern would be to alert people of a safety issue rather than worry about getting my money back or anything. In this case however, I feel it was best to keep the issue somewhat discreet.

I'll explain. First, I was getting the info second hand, I didnt have any first hand experience with the ammo as I had not shot any of it. Secondly, Im not a reloader and I am not educated enough on the matter to know exactly what happened or why it happened.

I wanted to make sure I didnt step on my dick, hurt someones reputation needlessly and look like an idiot in the process. I do that enough without the added aggravation.

Lastly, I wanted a chance to speak with the manufacturer to see what they had to say.

Apparently they bought some faulty components a while back. Once they found out about it they issued an immediate recall and got as much of it back as they could and issued refunds or new ammo. The reason I was never contacted was because I had bought the ammo from a 3rd party company that puts on tactical matches and because my partner bailed out on me at the last minute, I never competed and never shot the ammo. Its sat in my closet since then. The ammo company never sold me the ammo directly so they never knew I owned it to tell me of the problem.

They know and now they are correcting it no questions asked. I also feel confident that they have went the extra mile to make sure other customers were aware of the problem as fast as they could and correct it with no hassles.

Businesses make mistakes, accidents happen. Its how a business deals with it after the fact that matters. I feel this was handled correctly. At least in my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lofty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, here's the deal. I've dealt with the company and they are resolving the problem.

Apparently they had purchased some faulty components and had some problems with it over a year ago.

Normally my concern would be to alert people of a safety issue rather than worry about getting my money back or anything. In this case however, I feel it was best to keep the issue somewhat discreet.

I'll explain. First, I was getting the info second hand, I didnt have any first hand experience with the ammo as I had not shot any of it. Secondly, Im not a reloader and I am not educated enough on the matter to know exactly what happened or why it happened.

I wanted to make sure I didnt step on my dick, hurt someones reputation needlessly and look like an idiot in the process. I do that enough without the added aggravation.

Lastly, I wanted a chance to speak with the manufacturer to see what they had to say.

Apparently they bought some faulty components a while back. Once they found out about it they issued an immediate recall and got as much of it back as they could and issued refunds or new ammo. The reason I was never contacted was because I had bought the ammo from a 3rd party company that puts on tactical matches and because my partner bailed out on me at the last minute, I never competed and never shot the ammo. Its sat in my closet since then. The ammo company never sold me the ammo directly so they never knew I owned it to tell me of the problem.

They know and now they are correcting it no questions asked. I also feel confident that they have went the extra mile to make sure other customers were aware of the problem as fast as they could and correct it with no hassles.

Businesses make mistakes, accidents happen. Its how a business deals with it after the fact that matters. I feel this was handled correctly. At least in my opinion.

</div></div>
You sir, are a standup guy!
It seems like quite a few people would rather slander a business first without all the pertinent information than actually take the time and cross all their T’s and dot their I’s and be 100% sure said business had dropped the ball and gave a rats ass about the outcome.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oosickness</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lofty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, here's the deal. I've dealt with the company and they are resolving the problem.

</div></div>
It seems like quite a few people would rather slander a business first without all the pertinent information than actually take the time and cross all their T’s and dot their I’s and be 100% sure said business had dropped the ball and gave a rats ass about the outcome.

</div></div>

Might be a stand up guy but you're putting fellow shooters at risk... <span style="font-weight: bold">Safety supercedes discretion.</span>

+1 to Lofty

Just because he had some bad ammo, does not mean everybody else will get bad ammo. No need to do some mudslinging if the manufacturer did what they could to do a recall and fix the problem.

If Toyota does a recall on some vehicles, it does not mean all Toyota vehicles are bad.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoahbodyImportant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If Toyota does a recall on some vehicles, it does not mean all Toyota vehicles are bad.

</div></div>

They also publicize it...

Who's to say there isn't another person out there who has ammo from this batch who got it from a third party and wasn't aware of a recall? It's fine that the OP doesn't want to air out the company but I hope nobody else has a gun blow up on them because of his silence. What does not naming the company save him or the company?

I apologize if your reading comprehension is not up to par. If you read what he typed:

<span style="font-style: italic">Apparently they bought some faulty components a while back. <span style="font-weight: bold">Once they found out about it they issued an immediate recall and got as much of it back as they could and issued refunds or new ammo.</span> The reason I was never contacted was because I had bought the ammo from a 3rd party company that puts on tactical matches and because my partner bailed out on me at the last minute, I never competed and never shot the ammo. Its sat in my closet since then. The ammo company never sold me the ammo directly so they never knew I owned it to tell me of the problem.</span>

The manufacturer did what they could to notify all parties of the recall.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoahbodyImportant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Who's to say there isn't another person out there who has ammo from this batch who got it from a third party and wasn't aware of a recall? It's fine that the OP doesn't want to air out the company but I hope nobody else has a gun blow up on them because of his silence. What does not naming the company save him or the company? </div></div>
You seem awful hungry for blood; put yourself in their shoes. They buy components and assemble them; they probably do random lot testing to assure the product works as advertised. I can tell you have never working in a mass production environment were even when you have first pass and second pass quality control you can still manage to have errors slip out to the public. There is nothing you can do about it other than your corrective actions after the fact and do everything in your power to get it back.
If this is a small to medium business and people start slandering them for 1 mistake that has be taking care of could be catastrophic. I suppose from your perspective the op should out them and the witch hunt would commence. I don’t know about you but I don’t feel right destroying someone’s lively hood because of one mistake.
But I suppose in your line of work, you have a flawless record and have never made any mistakes and I applaud you for that….

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoahbodyImportant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I apologize if your reading comprehension is not up to par. If you read what he typed:

<span style="font-style: italic">Apparently they bought some faulty components a while back. <span style="font-weight: bold">Once they found out about it they issued an immediate recall and got as much of it back as they could and issued refunds or new ammo.</span> The reason I was never contacted was because I had bought the ammo from a 3rd party company that puts on tactical matches and because my partner bailed out on me at the last minute, I never competed and never shot the ammo. Its sat in my closet since then. The ammo company never sold me the ammo directly so they never knew I owned it to tell me of the problem.</span>

The manufacturer did what they could to notify all parties of the recall. </div></div>

You accuse me of bad reading comprehension...

This is what I said above:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<span style="font-weight: bold">Who's to say there isn't another person out there who has ammo from this batch who got it from a third party and wasn't aware of a recall?</span> </div></div>

Check your own reading comprehension.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oosickness</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoahbodyImportant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Who's to say there isn't another person out there who has ammo from this batch who got it from a third party and wasn't aware of a recall? It's fine that the OP doesn't want to air out the company but I hope nobody else has a gun blow up on them because of his silence. What does not naming the company save him or the company? </div></div>

put yourself in their shoes. They buy components and assemble them; they probably do random lot testing to assure the product works as advertised.
</div></div>

A lawsuit from a gun blowing/injury up would damage the company a lot more than having a safety issue aired out. I'm just looking out for others who might get hurt.

I apologize for my comment to you High Bender. Your reading comprehension is just fine. I did not mean to hurt your feelings.

The bottom line is that the manufacturer did what they could to notify all parties of the recall.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoahbodyImportant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I apologize for my comment to you High Bender. Your reading comprehension is just fine. I did not mean to hurt your feelings.

The bottom line is that the manufacturer did what they could to notify all parties of the recall. </div></div>

The reason I keep pushing the issue is because I bought about 600 rounds of .308 match HSM and as many HSM .45ACP (which is reloaded ammo) a while back and always pay cash so there's no way they could notify me of a recall had there been one. So yeah, I have a little bit of worrying going on because of this thread and why I keep pushing the issue. Guess, I'll just have to call them with lot dates because I see based on a web search that they've had a few recalls due to this exact problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oosickness</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lofty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, here's the deal. I've dealt with the company and they are resolving the problem.

</div></div>

</div></div>

Might be a stand up guy but you're putting fellow shooters at risk... <span style="font-weight: bold">Safety supercedes discretion.</span> </div></div>

I think I agree with you.

How many other shooters might be in the same situation as the OP?

He acquired the ammo without leaving his name, address and telephone number with the person giving him the ammo.

How many people walk into a place and buy X, Y or Z ammo and pay cash, not leaving any traceable info?

How could the company 'reasonably expect' to be able to contact even 10% of the potential customers that might be in possession of this ammo?

Not trying to burn this manufacturer at the stake, here on the internet, but if you can help just one guy, by naming names, you've at least helped him.

Maybe somebody reads this thread and realizes that they, or one of their buddies, has some of it.

That's my thought on the matter.

Face it, if you added up all of the ammo and gun recalls over the years, made by the 'big names' you'd have a crap load. It's not like Remington, or Federal, hasn't had to put one out, so where's the embarassment, or deathblow to one's reputation?

Chris

I completely understand everyone's concern over the issue....I sincerely do. It's one thing to have faulty equipment not perform as advertised. It's a completely different thing to put people at risk. I value whatever minuscule relationship I have with the shooting community and would never be concerned over a companies reputation over a fellow shooters safety.

In this case though,after having a long conversation with the company owner today and finding out more about what steps they have taken to advise potential owners of the ammo and considering how long ago this ammo was actually purchased, I feel confident this is resolved satisfactorily.

It's a tough call. Perhaps if my experience was first hand I would reveal more. Maybe if I had a more thorough knowledge of reloading and what caused failures I would reveal more.

All things considered I think I have done my due diligence as a fellow shooter. I also think the company in question has as well.

I hope that suffices.

This is why I don't reload for people. BUT, they pay me to teach them the basics.

thats crazy,

I remember when i was young and hunting with my dad, i had to have been 14 or so. And I had a .243, and we were using cheap rem core hunting ammo.

And i had fired a shot, did not notice anything strange, no flash, nothing.
But when i ejected the case, it was split lengthwise down the entire side in a fairly straight line.

we tossed the rest of it. Thinking back now the only thing that probably saved me from injury was that it the split was so large that the pressure was not overly high and or directed into a small area.

nutz