• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

So... When does the obsession stop?

reewik

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 8, 2009
    La Vergne, TN
    I have been buying guns since I was legally able too. (27 years) I have a question, when does the obsession and excitement of the purchase of a new gun ever stop?

I bought a new to me Rifle last month and I just sold it to a friend to get another... LOL (Same gun just a folding version) OK lets be honest. I agreed to buy the rifle before I sold this one.. even worse... Now I am like a little kid on Christmas eve. I already own the same type of guns but the anticipating is the same as the anticipation of opening the gifts under the tree on Christmas morning. My wife asks, why do you not get that excited about me coming home?

For me, while not gone, it has decreased. Once I started shooting ALOT, and started viewing weapons more like tools than man jewelry, the “kid on Christmas” morphed into a “teenager with a six-pack”.

The best way not to go broke is to sell guns as they don't excite you, to buy new ones that do.
    Then eventually you wind up with a core group of guns that you will never part with & then the fun guns that rotate in & out of your life.

I've seen several people sell and/or give away a lot of their firearms when they got older.

Off topic, but if you have a gun that you want someone to have and you're getting up there in age, give it to them while you're living. Shit can go sideways after you're gone.

Just a lefty when shooting mags? LOL. Not funny but, LOL....

Trying to piece together a 300 Winny for my best friend. His B-Day is the end of this month and his Thompson broke so he's 300 Win Mag poor right now. He's the lefty. ;)
    Contemplating just picking up a Sako for him. And yes, I'm slumming around the neighborhood gathering donations for him so we can do this. You see a pattern there? Fun making crazy shit happen.

I've seen several people sell and/or give away a lot of their firearms when they got older.

Off topic, but if you have a gun that you want someone to have and you're getting up there in age, give it to them while you're living. Shit can go sideways after you're gone.

boy howdy

I recognized back in my 50's that there simply had to be a limit to acquiring firearms. I did a lot of handgun, and then a lot of rifle, competitive shooting back then, and when I started to run out of room in the three gun cabinets, I decided that something really needed to change. Add to this that I was also handloading about 80% of what I shot (now it's closer to 95%).

So I decided to set some criteria for how firearms would be included in my stable (not collection, not arsenal...) of firearms. Each one needed to support a specific activity that I actually engaged within. Duplication of capabilities was to be avoided. 'Nice' was to be superceded by 'necessary', and it was time I seriously avoided fooling myself about the two.

Well, like most intentions, it was only partially adopted, but the number of gun cabinets was thereafter limited to the original three.

Complications arose.

I got the AR bug. I acquired a world class Garand (SA October 1940 with a 1953 arsenal Winchester rebarrel). My Granddaughter got into shooting (she currently lives with us). Not a collector, the Garand is set up as a shooter (glassbedded, N/M .052, 1/2 MOA turn rear, globe/inserts front, butt pad extender)

I adopted a 'project mentality'. I now have F Class rifles, a modified, but very basic .223 F T/R rifle, and a .308 configured absolutely identical (not because I need them to be identical, but because the upgrades are both as frugal as possible, and well suited). The old Ghost Dancer 260 F Open rifle. One, now a pair of Stag Model 6 Super Varminters that are legal for F T/R Mid Range Comp when fitted with Bipods and Single Loading Enhancement Devices. A General Purpose 5.56 bolt rifle (Mossberg 20" MVP Predator with an AR 223 Drop Zone scope). Others, including a run-n-gun AR Upper (SPARC), and a 16" Bull Barrel 'rather precision' Upper (another AR 223 Drop Zone).

There are others (for instance, an older Savage 10FCM Scout, unusually chambered in the other caliber, 7.62x39), a much labored Mosin-Nagant 91/30, other toys and implements). I will never be bored, but I'm also at the point where much more could easily overwhelm me. There's an Axis II .30-06, intended to replace my older Win 70 .30-06, but really, nothing can replace that one.

I also have a handgun (two if we count my Wife's), and I may acquire another one or two of them.

Shooting is a weekly regimen, except in Winter (yes, we actually do get a Winter down here on the border), and the temps are finally picking up again enough to shoot without gloves.

Acquisitions these days must be preceded by a like divestiture; so I hand them down to the next generation.

These days, 'how many?' is usually answered with 'enough, but no more than that...'. You may believe that if you like...

Greg

Trying to piece together a 300 Winny for my best friend. His B-Day is the end of this month and his Thompson broke so he's 300 Win Mag poor right now. He's the lefty. ;)
    Contemplating just picking up a Sako for him. And yes, I'm slumming around the neighborhood gathering donations for him so we can do this. You see a pattern there? Fun making crazy shit happen.

Have you checked the local gun stores for good condition used ones?
    There always seems to be some really nice hunting style Win Mag .300 rifles available at dirt cheap prices used / on consignment.
    (Something about a lighter weight .300WM not being as fun to shoot as people thought).

Reactions: 1J04
    TRG-42, just sayin....

R

*Thread Jack Warning* sorry

@W54/XM-388 @Rthur In all honesty I have not checked any Gun Stores. To be completely honest I haven't been in a town that has one in a very long time. Seriously. I'm in the fucking sticks gentlemen. I cannot emphasize that enough. And I hate going to town. Got no time for it. It's a great idea though, so maybe I should. Only got till the 29th. This is one of the few guys I reload for anymore so I'd love to get it done and get his load development going so he can do what we do. It's gonna be for both banging steel and hunting so it ain't gonna be all Tactical as Fuck and all that. Talked another buddy recently into a Sako A7 Long Range in 7MM. That's a nice outta the box gun IMHO.

Anyhow, the LGS just down the hill here from the Jail is closing. Not enough people using it to stay open, so it's gone. If anyone is getting a TRG-42 in the neighborhood it's gonna be this guy. (y) Nice choice.

Reactions: Rthur
    It's like seeing a great set of tits you hold them stare at them tell ya friends about them you work up a good load then move on to the next set.....,etc etc I don't think the obsession ends. Stay thirsty my friends

Reactions: Velocity Chad
    I got a friend who Snowbirds between here in SE AZ and Nebraska, then hunts Canada for Moose, and Nebraska for Elk. He uses the 300WM. I suggested to him that at his age, maybe he might want to take a step down to the .30-'06. He gave me a look like I was preaching Satanism.

Sometimes the medium is the message.

Greg

Last edited:
    Reactions: Threadcutter308
    last year i told my wife, and i even told myself, i had pretty much all i need. then somehow i've bought another 4, 5, 6 guns since then? so yeah, it never ends. oh yeah, and i just bought my first suppressor (.22LR rifle) and started the NFA waiting game, so going down that rabbit hole also. the only 'good' news is i did sell a couple off that were safe queens.

Reactions: reewik
    It's like seeing a great set of tits you hold them stare at them tell ya friends about them you work up a good load then move on to the next set.....,etc etc I don't think the obsession ends. Stay thirsty my friends

I think you have me pegged. Once I get a gun the way I like it, and a load worked up. The new wears off and I move onto something else. In trying to break the habit, I have been at least taking different guns out on "dates" to coyote hunt.