• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft SoCal, Emergency Back Pack MEETING

pascal

Sergeant
Minuteman
If anyone is interested.

BugoutMeeting.jpg

MORE INFORMATION ON THIS PAGE

Re: SoCal, Emergency Back Pack MEETING

DF,
I would definitely like to make that, but work calls. Are you out in Vegas at all?
Keep up the good work!

Sounds pretty cool. I am in SD, but i think i'll try to make it up there.

I'm getting some interesting people confirmed BTW, survival experts, primitive/wilderness experts, etc... so the back packs are bound to be unusual and interesting.

This sounds like a great service to offer.

It's amazing how clueless people are. I took a couple and their kids snow shoeing. One kid showed up with snowshoes, but wearing sneakers and those low cut kid socks with lace around the rim, with pants that stop about 6 inches short of the sock line. Those sneakers and short socks iced up very nicely. She must have been miserable. Yet it never occurred to her parents, who actually bought snow shoes, that sneakers might be inappropriate footwear when travelling over snow that ranges 5 to 8 feet deep.

I can't make it but my brother would like to go. He was on your second tracking class.

He should come. This is definitely not a class, more like a disorganized meeting, LOL!

But it will be fun.

I'll probably learn a lot myself.

Tell him to put something together, even if it's basic.

Any idea if the 147.27 repeater is connected to Echolink? I might be able to drop in via radio
smile.gif

You'll have to check it out. HAM radio isn't just for old geezers anymore
smile.gif
radio comms can by quite an asset in a BOB.

I know I got my HAM in a can. I'm going to bring mine to the meet. I'll also bring some portable desalinazation stuff. Hey Luke, I'll try to figure the Repeater situation out. My radio is D-star, not sure if it works with Echolink. I'll stop by the Ham Radio Outlet and ask those guys to help me figure it out.

Hey Desert Frog? If there is water nearby I could demo one of my units, but I would need a generator. I have one here but it wont fit into by honda. Think anybody there will have one or could bring one. Otherwise we could just stand there and look at it while I tell really great stories about how well it works:)

Hey frog, nevermind about the genni. just looked at the map. We wont be near any salt water. I tell ya what, you gotta get up pretty early in the morning to get one by me!

Froggie,
Sounds like an interesting class/meeting. I'd like to check it out. What all do we need to bring? I'm just starting to think about an emergency pack. So i'm just gonna pick everyones minds over the stuff i should look at. Thanks for getting this together. Talk to you Sunday.

SOTA

Sota, You don't really need to bring anything but it probably be a good idea to put something together, even basic, of what you think you would need and expand from there when you look at what others have and why.

Yeah, Taco...no salt water there!

Some interesting guys who have been in the survival field for a long time are going to come so it's bound to be quite interesting.

...SE US over here, so I don't think I'll be able to make it. It would be tremendously appreciated if anyone who goes were to take notes about anything <span style="font-style: italic">different</span> they see in people's packs, and share it with the rest of us. I know a lot of people on here are always looking for new ideas.

I cant make it either. Would be great if someone took notes and did a writeup afterwards. Do a post with photos and the information learned, what to pack etc...

Taco: Echolink is just the internet linking capability that some repeaters are equipped with. Each echolink repeater has a number assigned to it, similar to a telephone number. You can then access any other echolink repeater just by dialing the number and creating the link. For example my local repeater system is connected to Echolink and has a node number of 382015. If you are near another echolink repeater all you have to do is dial 382015 on your radios DTMF pad and it will dial the number via the internet and create a link allowing you to talk to me through the repeater-internet-repeater link. Makes sense? Want to talk directly to Bethel, Alaska? simply dial 14610, Donegal, Ireland? dial 2605. You can find the entire list of echolink repeaters here: http://www.echolink.org/logins.jsp

I'll do an "after action" report but if you guys can attend, I would suggest you do.

As I said, you going to have some interesting guys there and probably learn quite a lot!

BUMP...this is happening tomorrow morning.

Some interesting people already told me they would show up so it will be a great learning experience.

Here are the web site of some of the people attending:

www.christophernyerges.com

Alan Halcon and Dude McLean

http://www.dirttime.com/

I'm not putting myself in the category/quality of the people above but my site is:

www.UrbanOutdoorSkills.com

We'll probably have demonstration on primitive fire making, some wild food cooking (neetle soup), etc...

All in good fun.

Oh I’m definitely going to this, just bought a plane ticket. I have been so cornfused what to put in my backpack backpack. Thank you for the opportunity to find out what licky cheweys are the best for my backpack backpack. I sure hope to get packed in the back at this meating

• Angry
Reactions: thejeep
Oh I’m definitely going to this, just bought a plane ticket. I have been so cornfused what to put in my backpack backpack. Thank you for the opportunity to find out what licky cheweys are the best for my backpack backpack. I sure hope to get packed in the back at this meating
thats gayer than dongflage rite ther