• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Social support services for 88 year old vet

Pester

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2012
Northern CA
Folks, I could use some help in finding a place for my 88 year old dad to chat with other vets for an hour or so once every couple of weeks or once a month. He has dimentia and is not a yeller nor violent.

If there is a meeting where like minded folks go for a cup of coffee and conversation that would give him something to look forward to. He likes to talk with others with similar experiences.

I have tried the VA but I got zero from them.

He was in the Army during Korea.

Any help is appreciated and Merry Christmas to all.

Might try a state Veteran's home. I'm sure a lot of those folks would love to chat with others their age and with similar experiences.

Thanks guys. Not sure how I missed the VFW.......

Not sure what CA has for a state vets home but it’s a great option and maybe the VFW folks know if I can’t find it.

Thanks and I should have mentioned the location. Just east of Sacramento. Placerville CA.

I just sent the local group an email to see if they are open to having someone with dementia attend.

It would be great if we could get him interacting with others that can relate to his experiences.

Merry Christmas to youand your dad.

My grandma had dementia and I have a huge heart for those who have it and their families who care for them.

God bless you with peace and a little extra joy. You are doing great stuff.

Glad some guys got you headed in the right direction!

Thanks Gentlemen for the advice and support. I think I am headed in the right direction......

Its been a bit of a journey as his condition has deteriorated and, if I am being honest, not something that was always easy. But he raised me for the first 18 years of my life and guided me for decades later with never a harsh word or complaint that I remember.

My mom never fusses, being the active 85 year old she is, however it should not fall on her shoulders alone. I am honored to be in the position where I can be there about 4-5 days a week for half a day to help those that helped me.

Its one of the things I like about the Hide..... when help is needed folks step in to help.

Thanks again Gents and Merry Christmas