• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SOCOM II

jerpil

Private
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2009
Am looking into purchasing a SOCOMII rifle, I would appreciate it very much if anyone here can share their experiences about the rifle. I.e. Dependability, accuracy, durability etc...

Thanks..

Re: SOCOM II

I had a Socom I and the second mag through it, the bolt came apart. Springfield fixed it quick and no worries. Though they seemed not surprised in the least, kinda like this happens frequently. That kinda concerned me, but YMMV.

Find a slightly used 1st generation SOCOM that has had the bugs worked out.
I experienced what Banks74 mentioned and worse before I went to SEI.
SEI has custom built a few M14s for me on forged Poly Tech and Norinco receivers.

Have you considered an older M1A Bush or Scout?
The 18.0" barrel makes for a much better short M14.

Good luck.

What exactly are you using the rifle for...just asking because there are so many M14 options available.

I have a few hundred rounds through mine and no problems, open sights head shots @ 100 yards are no problem,someone with better eyes could do a lot better, I use it mostly for walking up on hogs with a cheep red dot and it does very well

Everyone I have talked suggested the Socom I over the Socom II. I think getting a Socom one and tailoring it to just your needs would be a good option. I have read negative reviews on the Socom II rail system. Wanted one for a while but think a scout might be the way I would go.

IMHO the SOCOM II is more versatile than the SOCOM 16. It also runs flawlessly and It will eat anything.

I'm not sure what you read about the VLTOR rail system, but I have a SOCOM II and I love it. You can load toys on the rail if you like. Although it is a little front heavy, this setup (tritium front sight) makes a great hog gun at night. If you run out of ammo, you can beat the hell out of anything with this battle rifle.

SOCOMII.jpg

With the push of two buttons, you can also easily remove the lower rail and go with a much lighter setup and shoot iron sights. Wow, it's a SOCOM 16.

SocomPatio-1.jpg

Looking down the length of the rail guides your eye to the front sight for quick target aquistion and proper sight alignment. You do not get this feature on the SOCOM 16.

socombarrel.jpg