• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Soft vs hard case question

Tryingtoimprove

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2024
Idaho
I need a case and I just don't know what to do. I understand the soft case for the range, hard case to travel concept. My application is solely to travel with the case in the trunk of my car to the range, and that's it.

I take all my optic (red dot, ACOG, etc.) rifles to the range with various soft cases with no issues. I have a bench rifle that had a Leupold 3-15 power scope on it and for that I used an MTM hard case, which worked quite well for low cost.

Now the question. I changed the scope to a Vortex Razor HD Gen III 6-36x56. This scope is a monster. The turrets are about 4" wide left to right. It obviously won't fit in my MTM case. With 1" of padding on each side I'd need at least a 6" depth for this.

I assumed with a scope this expensive (for me) and bulky I'd want a hard case. I was looking at say a Pelican Vault V730 because it's deep enough, and with a 20" barrel on this rifle I can get almost 2" of cushion on each end, and still get the case in my trunk.

The issue at hand is, as I have read in several other threads here, a heavy (about 22 pounds with foam) hard case seems like overkill for a trip to the range. On the other hand with turrets about 4" wide would this really be the exception to the rule for a hard case for the range? I just can't see how this would work well in a soft case. Not to mention nowadays most decent soft cases are priced about the same as this low-end Pelican.

This gun is basically a bench gun for me, used at the range only. At this range I have yet to see any bench/precision rifle shooter show up with anything but a hard case. When hunters show up for their yearly sight in with scopes like my Leupold they are almost all soft cases. I've never seen anyone with a big scope (or a Nightforce, Tangent Theta, ZCO, etc.) use anything but a hard case.

I would love some input on this. Lighter is obviously easier, but with this quite large scope I'm a bit concerned if it would protect it well enough given the width (if there is even a soft case able to accommodate that wide of a scope). Thanks for any insight and opinions on this.

Reactions: DubfromGA
I need a case and I just don't know what to do. I understand the soft case for the range, hard case to travel concept. My application is solely to travel with the case in the trunk of my car to the range, and that's it.

I take all my optic (red dot, ACOG, etc.) rifles to the range with various soft cases with no issues. I have a bench rifle that had a Leupold 3-15 power scope on it and for that I used an MTM hard case, which worked quite well for low cost.

Now the question. I changed the scope to a Vortex Razor HD Gen III 6-36x56. This scope is a monster. The turrets are about 4" wide left to right. It obviously won't fit in my MTM case. With 1" of padding on each side I'd need at least a 6" depth for this.

I assumed with a scope this expensive (for me) and bulky I'd want a hard case. I was looking at say a Pelican Vault V730 because it's deep enough, and with a 20" barrel on this rifle I can get almost 2" of cushion on each end, and still get the case in my trunk.

The issue at hand is, as I have read in several other threads here, a heavy (about 22 pounds with foam) hard case seems like overkill for a trip to the range. On the other hand with turrets about 4" wide would this really be the exception to the rule for a hard case for the range? I just can't see how this would work well in a soft case. Not to mention nowadays most decent soft cases are priced about the same as this low-end Pelican.

This gun is basically a bench gun for me, used at the range only. At this range I have yet to see any bench/precision rifle shooter show up with anything but a hard case. When hunters show up for their yearly sight in with scopes like my Leupold they are almost all soft cases. I've never seen anyone with a big scope (or a Nightforce, Tangent Theta, ZCO, etc.) use anything but a hard case.

I would love some input on this. Lighter is obviously easier, but with this quite large scope I'm a bit concerned if it would protect it well enough given the width (if there is even a soft case able to accommodate that wide of a scope). Thanks for any insight and opinions on this.
Drag bags work awesome as a range bag for precision rifles. Plus it's extra snipery

I bought a pelican hard case for my first precision rifle.
That is the last hard case I will most likely ever buy.
I have been using a Voodoo Tactical drag bag and shooters mat for over a decade now.
I have a few of their soft cases also.

This past summer I purchased an $89.00 Range Maxx Tactical 3gun case.
It is carrying my precision rifle topped with my Tangent Theta.

If I need to fly with a rifle it goes in its soft case which goes into a hard case.
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/rangemaxx-tactical-3-gun-case

Reactions: DubfromGA
My application is solely to travel with the case in the trunk of my car to the range, and that's it.
You do not need a hard case for local travel to the range. Airline travel, diff story, local...just a soft bag.

As you can definitely find good soft cases that will accomodate a heavy bench/PRS type rifle with large magnification scope.

Personally, I bought Savior.

I did not buy it direct from Savior...there are lots of retailers out there (incl Amazon) that sell them.

Now, I got the Urban Warfare one in multicam double rifle case.

I got multicam because its 1,000 denier material instead of 600 on the solid color cases and the multicam ones came with YKK zippers which are very good. However, its an expensive case at $199 (but less than a Pelican...and it wasn't that much when I bought mine....thanks Brandon).

But, there is the Camo American Classic in multicam models with the heavier nylon (but not the YKK zippers), in the approx $90 range:

Now, you would have to be crazy or an NFL lineman to put two heavy bench guns in one of these cases, but I got it because it has thick padding and lots of room inside and I liked the pockets available on the Urban Warfare case. But, I'm sure Camo American Classic would have been very satisfactory also. But I really wanted those YKK zippers as one of the criticisms of Savior in years past was zipper failure.

I chuck a chassis mounted, 23 lb, rifle in this Savior case in the back of the SUV and drag it to the range all the time. No problemo ever.

Hope this was slightly helpful.

I have two Savior soft bags. I like them a lot. I use the Urban Bag for transport to the range and matches. I have a Razor and I have no issues with the width. The Savior is a double rifle case but I’d never use it that way. Too heavy. I use the side with the padding in the middle and the outside pockets to give maximum protection.

First the scope is not that wide. LOL I have had multiple Gen III Razors and drop them in my Tac Ops/Eberlestock drag bags or Eberlestock soft case without issue. Not sure where you shoot that you never see anyone go to the range with nothing but a hard case but I rarely ever see one at the range and I never take one. Get a decent drag bag or soft case and use it. No need for a hard case unless you plan to fly.

Reactions: Nik H and Baron23
To piggyback on @Baron23, I run the Savior Urban Warfare and it’s great.

-Stan

Armageddon Gear Precision Rifle case (52” or 58”) usa made
https://armageddongear.com/product/precision-rifle-case/

Creadmoor Sports blue 55” or 60”
https://www.creedmoorsports.com/pro...-or-60-inch-rifle-case/creedmoor_sports_brand

Bulldog Cases BDT80-54T 54" Long Range Rifle Case (cheaper on Amazon and at Sportsman’s Guide)
https://bulldogcases.com/products/bulldog-tactical-54-long-range-rifle-case?variant=46750492066073

My short reviews on above (I have more posts lower down on that page too):
https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/sert-vs-savior.7207079/post-11409351

If you don’t need a shoulder strap:
Triad Tactical (USA made) 42” or 53”
https://triadtactical.com/triad-precision-rifle-carry-case/

AIM sports (whole range of sizes)
https://www.aimfieldsports.com/tactical-drag-bags

Last edited:
The Galati drag bag/matt is by far my preffered one and it works well for a Matt to shoot prone. The Delux one I think is what I have a few of and for precision rifle it's the only way to go for me. Extremely good protection but a ton easier to haul than a hard case. I have several nice hard cases but I only use them to fly with. Otherwise it's the Galati.

Either will work fine, you’re over thinking the fuck out of this. If you don’t want to deal with a heavy ass case then get a good quality soft case (Armageddon gear makes excellent ones), if you don’t mind a heavy ass case and feel you want that level of protection then get a hard case.

• Haha
Reactions: Trevor300wsm
My most used cases are my voodoo tactical 2 gun bag and my tac ops drag bags. I also gave an eberkestock drag bag and a few hard cases.

I only use the hard cases if I will be traveling during bad weather since the guns ride in the bed of my truck or if I’m flying.

Good soft cases are where it’s at!

The Galati drag bag/matt is by far my preffered one and it works well for a Matt to shoot prone. The Delux one I think is what I have a few of and for precision rifle it's the only way to go for me. Extremely good protection but a ton easier to haul than a hard case. I have several nice hard cases but I only use them to fly with. Otherwise it's the Galati.

I also really like my galati deluxe, they’re on sale right now for a great price too. Next sale they run on the double rifle AR bags I’m going to grab one of those too.

with turrets about 4" wide
LOL I don't think you know what 4" looks like

At this range I have yet to see any bench/precision rifle shooter show up with anything but a hard case. When hunters show up for their yearly sight in with scopes like my Leupold they are almost all soft cases.
Well then monkey see monkey do

I would love some input on this
Really? You can't make a simple decision on your own?

Triad tactical case is about perfect for range trips. Has a lot of features I like in a case and almost nothing that I don’t care for.

My match gun goes in this case and never sees a hard case.

I also really like my galati deluxe, they’re on sale right now for a great price too. Next sale they run on the double rifle AR bags I’m going to grab one of those too.

Yup. That's what I have. I have 2 of them and have used them hard for years and they hold up really well. They are just ideal and so much easier

Reactions: Jnull
Either will work fine, you’re over thinking the fuck out of this. If you don’t want to deal with a heavy ass case then get a good quality soft case (Armageddon gear makes excellent ones), if you don’t mind a heavy ass case and feel you want that level of protection then get a hard case.
Well, I am known for overthinking things... But my point is, I don't have the experience to know if using a soft case with a scope with turrets this wide is likely to lead to damage at some point (like walking the turret into a door frame). I was simply asking what the consensus was on the best case type in a situation like this. I can haul the extra weight if it's wise to do so. The point is, I don't know if it is wise, hence the post. If I don't need the extra bulk and weight I don't want to go down that route. I don't have any experience with a scope this big. That's all.

Reactions: FireFoot
LOL I don't think you know what 4" looks like
I'm not sure why some are questioning the 4" on the turrets. I wrote in my original post: "The turrets are about 4" wide left to right. ... With 1" of padding on each side I'd need at least a 6" depth for this." So, wouldn't everyone assume I am saying the entire width, in total, of the turrets is 4"? 1" + 4" + 1" = 6".

Or are people questioning that the total width of the turrets is actually 4"? I measured this three times before posting because I wanted to be sure so I wouldn't look like an ass saying something inaccurate. That's the point of the whole initial post, that the 4" width won't work with any of the cases I have. For example, my Leupold is about 2.25" wide. Given how far they stick out, what's the best and least hassle way to protect them. Here's a pic with a tape measure for those that think I don't know what 4" looks like. (In reality they look closer to 4 1/8" actually, but it's hard to say without using calipers.)

turrets.jpg

Well then monkey see monkey do

Really? You can't make a simple decision on your own?

See my reply above to redneckbmxer24. I have zero issues making decisions on my own, simple or otherwise. I just don't know what I don't know and thought people in here could enlighten me a bit, which they have. Mission accomplished, and thanks to all for that.

Well, I am known for overthinking things... But my point is, I don't have the experience to know if using a soft case with a scope with turrets this wide is likely to lead to damage at some point (like walking the turret into a door frame). I was simply asking what the consensus was on the best case type in a situation like this. I can haul the extra weight if it's wise to do so. The point is, I don't know if it is wise, hence the post. If I don't need the extra bulk and weight I don't want to go down that route. I don't have any experience with a scope this big. That's all.

Like I said, either will work fine. You’re doing more over thinking.

The only way I’d get a hard case (like a Pelican) is to also have a soft case in the car/truck IF, and only if, you are keeping the rifle in the car at all times for convenience.

Keep gun in hard case most of the time, pop it out at the range, put gun in soft case, walk to range shed.

If you don’t keep the gun in the car all of the time (prob a bad idea anyway) but still go hard case, you’re quickly going to get irritated each time you hoof that basty out to the car, out to the shed, back to the car, and back to home. Double that if stairs are involved.

10x that if you drop it on your foot or it’s freezing out.

100x that if you bump your car’s paint with that unwieldy heavy mother effer hard case. God forbid you dent your body panels (or someone else’s).

Soft cases are so much more friendly and shoulderable.

Might make an exception you have a Plano Aircase. I have a few and they’re pretty light and easy to maneuver. But I still almost never use them as they have no storage or shoulder straps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aftermath
I have a Pelican case and a soft case from Creedmore sports. I used the Pelican twice I think and realised its a PITA, the only reason I haven't sold it is I'm sure I'll need it one of these days to fly with the rifle.

I don't bother with case 99% of the time. Guns just get tossed on the back seat of the truck.

If I'm feeling generous I'll toss a hoodie in-between them if there's more than a couple to keep the rattling down.

I have one rifle that does not fit in a standard hard case so for that one, I use a Pelican Storm iM 3220.

The only way I’d get a hard case (like a Pelican) is to also have a soft case in the car/truck IF, and only if, you are keeping the rifle in the car at all times for convenience.

Keep gun in hard case most of the time, pop it out at the range, put gun in soft case, walk to range shed.

If you don’t keep the gun in the car all of the time (prob a bad idea anyway) but still go hard case, you’re quickly going to get irritated each time you hoof that basty out to the car, out to the shed, back to the car, and back to home. Double that if stairs are involved.

10x that if you drop it on your foot or it’s freezing out.

100x that if you bump your car’s paint with that unwieldy heavy mother effer hard case. God forbid you dent your body panels (or someone else’s).

Soft cases are so much more friendly and shoulderable.

Might make an exception you have a Plano Aircase. I have a few and they’re pretty light and easy to maneuver. But I still almost never use them as they have no storage or shoulder straps.
I have a soft case that fits inside of the Pelican. I don't use the combo all of the time. But the soft case provides enough cushion and has some extra pockets on it for things like spare mags, suppressor, etc so that when I do use the hard case if I am traveling a long ways or on an airplane, I still have the soft case to use when I get there and all of the goodies are right there also.

After using both I prefer soft cases. Creedmoor has a good soft case good padding and a large pocket. I have the 48" and a Savage Palma with an added adjustable butt plate just fits. I'd say just get the 52".

For range I like a soft case. There are many good ones. The Armageddon brand makes a soft case for range use. That same case is a perfect fit inside a Pelican case if you travel. Actually, they can be used together.
I have a Peak custom for my Vudoo, and like Pelican, it’s way to heavy and inflexible. I’m looking for a Vudoo soft case, but they’re sold out.
For my AI-ATX I have Armageddon. And it’s O K, but still not good enough. Not enough pockets and accessories attachment.

Tac-Ops drag bags have all the protection and features you need. Have 3 of them now and they just do the job. Lost 3 Pelican cases in a shop fire last year and have not given any thought to replacing them.

No protection is sufficient, if you are sufficiently clumsy. A hard case is better than a soft case, but push he hard case out of the back of you pick up on the highway at 80 mph and it might not fare too well. A soft vase is sufficient for “normal” transportation to and from the range. But spin it around and yeet it like you’re in the olympic hammer throw event, and the rifle might not fare too well.

I had a rifle in the front seat of a pickup, years ago, that decided to yeet itself out of the passenger door when I opened it. The stock has a pretty good raspberry on it from the fall, but the scope didn’t lose zero.

If you beat the scope on enough door frames, it will take damage; but unless you’re a total klutz, it will be fine. You’re not going to be any harder on it than a typical PRS shooter moving in and out of barricades.

I have, and use both for range trips. The soft case is lighter and more “convenient.” The hard case is heavier, but allows better separation of gear. I can lay it open and easily identify everything in the case. The soft case has a bunch of pockets that have to be searched.

Any modern soft case designed for a scoped rifle is sufficient for travel in the trunk of a car. Barring a range requirement that firearms be cased when moved about the range, I’d be happy with a “gun sock” for this application. Just don’t throw a pile of gym weights on top of it.

It is a source of never ending amazement, the things that people get wrapped around the axle about on this site.

I carry 2 rifles, one with a Razor Gen III 6-36 and one with a Kahles K525i, both in a Savior double rifle soft case with no issues. It's in the bed of my truck where it has freedom to slide around, and I still haven't had any trouble. No failure to hold zero, no dings, dents, or finish wear. You'll be fine with a soft case.

Reactions: Baron23
If you want a hard case on a budget the harbor freight rifle case is good enough for normal stuff. Not sure if I’d trust it with a nice rifle for flying but it would definitely work to throw in a trunk or truck bed for a range trip. I got a plano field locker and never use it, heavy and bulky, way overkill.

Can your soft cases do this?

View media item 3954

I understand the soft case for the range, hard case to travel concept. My application is solely to travel with the case in the trunk of my car to the range, and that's it.
Easy to recommend against a hard case for this, esp since it's going in a car trunk.
Now the question. I changed the scope to a Vortex Razor HD Gen III 6-36x56.
If you really want a hard case though, I get it... I throw my PRS gun in an iM3300 w/ a Sunrise Tactical scope cover for padding, plus the 3/8" foam on the bottom & 1" egg crate foam in the lid. Tossed the other 2 layers of foam. Had a 735 ATACR, now G3 Razor, fits fine.

• Haha
Reactions: carbonbased
This website is great! So many great ideas from real people that aren't called amazon.
The turrets on my scope are 3 3/4" and stick out pretty far. I can relate with the OP. I'm looking for a nice compact yet tough case for my large turret scope with a folder stock, 36" total length & likes the back of my truck. And one with a shooting mat too?!

Last edited:
I'd like to throw out that Hogue makes an amazing soft rifle bag. The amount of padding in this thing is stupid good and very over built. Worth taking a look at.

Like most I’ve flip flopped but I have my gear down to 2-3 situations

If going by myself to square range with 1 rifle I use a bag with pouches all over ..kind of like the savior but better quality. Doing that I only need that one bag as everything is attached.

I’ve set up my gear in pouches over the years so each pouch has a job, was tired of a disaster lol

1 rifle and shooting prone/on the dirt I’ll bring a mat

1 rifle and on a cement pad I’ll bring a mat bag like suggested above. I don’t use those when it’s wet out because you are zipping your gear in a wet sack. But they are nice. If you don’t need the mat part it’s a ton of material being tri fold to open on a bench already covered with crap lol

For 2 or more rifles/some one coming with me (my son or nephew etc) means im bringing a lot more gear. Extra IFAK extra ammo for both weapons. Most likely metric and standard tools because of different weapons or scope mounts and the list goes on.

all that stuff goes in a bag/backpack and I like using the cheap crappy hard cases for that. Not knowing who might go in the back and grab or pull something out I want a little more protection. Plus they are cheaper than lunch.

Full on travel or flying skb has done very well for me. And looks like a “band” more than firearm.

I have a few drag bags but they are good for dragging in the woods and not much else. The backpack straps are not comfortable on any drag bag I have.
Not enough storage for a single item.
Bigger than a crappy case and less protection.
They look cool to pull out of the car but I think they are just not the best for civilian range days.

Just my opinions, but I’ve been trying to reduce gear for years. Tired of bringing the kitchen sink for no reason.

Reactions: LuvDog