• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Nik H

Constantly Learning
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 22, 2014
    Small town New England
    Anyone have any experience with them. I would like to buy a new knife. I like the assisted or autos but am left handed so need a mechanism that works for us lefties. SOG has a couple but they are not too cheap and I know little about them and their quality.

Any comments would be appreciated

I have carried a twitch 2 for like 6 years. Holds a decent edge but needs touched up on the workshop semi frequently. Mine basically is used as a letter opener so not any hard use. I feel like I could still protect myself with it. Only think I hate is the same lock finds its way on all the time when you least expect it.

I have four Benchmade autos in three models and do not recommend them fior heavy use. I had the opportunity to learn the use of a butterfly from an adept and bought a Benchmade butterfly for that purpose. It was fine for that purpose but it broke carving a pumpkin! Benchmades response was....sorry.

I use a knife as a tool. When the need arises I use them for tasks that are beyond their reasonable design limitations. I bought a Kershaw ZT350 five or six years ago. Last year it failed. The assisted opener spring went away, it would still work as a flick knife and the blade had numerous chips on the edge. No questions from Kershaw about WTF did you use this knife for, they repaired the opening mechanism, reground the edge and returned it in about a week.

Before I sent the 350 off I bought a ZT0566 Hinderer with Elmax steel and Iike it even better. Both are flipper assisted openers which work equally as well left or right handed. The 350 sits in the drawer waiting for me to abuse the 566 to the point that it has to go back to Kershaw.

Last edited:
    I don't have much experience with their autos but have had and used a SEAL pup for a few years and it's a great knife. SOG makes real solid stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had 2 SOGs over the years. One was a Flash assisted opening and the other was a multi tool.

I love the flash. Carried it for years until it was replaced with an Emerson Mini Commander. I never had an issue with it and it's still my backup when I travel so I don't risk getting my Emerson stolen from my checked bag. The pocket clip is a little weaker than I'd like but the blade and function never let me down. I won't hesitate to buy another one as a lower budget carry knife.

The multi tool, I've had it for close to 20 years. I used it harder than it like a couple times. Handles were weak but it's still good for light work.

Any of you that responded lefties? Do the assisted versions pose a challenge for lefties or should I stick with an automatic?

I'm a righty. As long as it has thumb studs on both sides or rear mechanism like the twitch, I would think you are good to go.

I'm right handed and I'm trying to remember if the thumb stud was only on one side or both. The SOG Flash just needs a little nudge to get the blade moving then the knife takes over. But that doesn't help much unless the thumb stud is where a lefty can hit it. I'll look at mine when I get home tonight and see how the thumb stud is designed.

A good left handed option is the Emerson Knives with the wave feature. Most of their knives are designed for right hand carry but you can have the clip moved to the other side. They are not cheap though. Probably pushing $200-300 and there are a lot of imitations out there so be careful where you buy from. But these are tough as nails to use and abuse. Kershaw makes some low end Emerson's which are okay but no where near as tough as a true US made one.

I'm right handed and I'm trying to remember if the thumb stud was only on one side or both. The SOG Flash just needs a little nudge to get the blade moving then the knife takes over. But that doesn't help much unless the thumb stud is where a lefty can hit it. I'll look at mine when I get home tonight and see how the thumb stud is designed.

A good left handed option is the Emerson Knives with the wave feature. Most of their knives are designed for right hand carry but you can have the clip moved to the other side. They are not cheap though. Probably pushing $200-300 and there are a lot of imitations out there so be careful where you buy from. But these are tough as nails to use and abuse. Kershaw makes some low end Emerson's which are okay but no where near as tough as a true US made one.

Do you have a reputable source to buy from?

https://emersonknives.com

I've bought mine straight from them. Most legit sellers will have them all fairly close to Emersonknives.com. take a tour of the site and look under "about us" and it'll explain a lot about their values as a company. You don't buy an Emerson for fit and finish. You buy it to use the hell out of it.

Hmm, I got one, I guess it was OK. They often seem to be deeply discounted on GovX if you are eligible.

What's your budget? In my opinion, SOG used to produce a good product. I'm not a fan of what I have seen the last few years. I have looked a few pics/specs of the 2017 line and it looks like SOG might be stepping up their game. In the $75 to 175 range, I would look into ZT, Benchmade, Spyderco or Kizer.

Side note, Plus 1 for ZT's customer support. My request was simple, a pocket clip and screws. None the less, I was very impressed.

I don't really have a budget in mind. Just want a high quality blade that is quick to deploy. Based on what some have said here; I am looking at the Emerson line as well.

I bought a sog trident with the tanto blade over 6 years ago. It is an auto assist and can be oppened from either side, but the blade release to close is on the left side for us righties. It kept a really nice edge for a while, and after 100 plus sharpening sessions and PLENTY of use the corner where the actual tanto point and bottom (slicing edge??) meet has been just about ground away. For $50 or so, it wasnt a bad deal and it held longer than I was expecting. Its no microtech, or benchmade, but for the relatively low price it should make a decent edc knife that wont break your heart or bank if you lose it or damage it in a fubar kind of way.

Sorry if this post is really long, it's my first!

Thanks for the input Tank. Others have told me about microtechnology but I haven't looked into that yet.

Welcome to the Hide

Thanks, I already feel at home.
    Since single edged otfs are legal in Texas for edc, I am seriously looking into a benchmade infidel, or combat trodon (iirc thats a microtech). But first, I have to get a chassis system!

I frequently carry a SOG Trident, assisted opening. It works great amd has held a decent edge for me, although I dont abuse it hard either.