• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Solar Plasma Aurora Storm To Hit Earth Tomorrow

G

<span style="font-weight: bold">Quick! Let's get Morgan Freeman in the Whitehouse!</span>

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/08/03/solar_aurora_storm/

"This eruption is directed right at us, and is expected to get here early in the day on August 4th," says astronomer Leon Golub of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics (CfA). "It's the first major Earth-directed eruption in quite some time."

Normally a blast of radiation like this could be expected to wipe out much of the human race, but fortunately we are protected by the Earth's magnetic field. Instead the deadly solar plasma is expected to stream down the planetary field lines towards the poles, crashing into oxygen and nitrogen atoms in the atmosphere and so lighting them up to form aurorae - the so-called Northern Lights.

Re: Solar Plasma Aurora Storm To Hit Earth Tomorrow

Which will look something like this....seen em many many times and you never get tired of it - it's beautiful.

Messes up the commo BAD though!!! I've seen PRC-77's 200 yards apart not be able to talk to each other yet picked up signals from Anchorage...

aurora2.jpg

aurora3.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Quick! Let's get Morgan Freeman in the Whitehouse!</span>

Normally a blast of radiation like this could be expected to wipe out much of the human race, but fortunately we are protected by the Earth's magnetic field.</div></div>

Normally? So he's saying we aren't "normally" protected by earths magnetic field and it just so happens that we are now, just at the right time?

I would say "normally" a solar storm like this, would cause the northern lights, and if it's a bad one, power outages. I don't think "normally" it would wipe out the human race.... That statement makes no damn sense.

Good point on the misuse of "normally".

Do these solar flares still mess with radio and video transmission? Broadcast that is.

Typical news media, using misleading stories and headlines to try to scare everyone into staring at the TV set. No wonder people feel all afraid these days.

I guess if they said, that there was a big Solar ejection event and if you happen to live pretty far up north and got your lazy backside out of the house you could see a beautiful display that only happens every so often (oh and by the way your cellphone reception may be a bit bad for a couple minutes). They wouldn't get as many people staring at the ads on the screen in between getting scared.

I just want to see the lights, But i'm pretty damn sure it would be bad if they made i down my way, Normaly.

We got to see the lights down my way a few years back, but this is the biggest CME in quite some time.

I didn't mean the post to be anything more than a heads up to:

A - BOL for the lights
B - Be aware that there could be some radio and satellite issues

Is there any map or place to look up where the lights will be likely visible and a possible time for your particular area?

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sIaxSxEqKtA"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sIaxSxEqKtA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ahhhhhhh, we're all gonna die! The sky is falling! </div></div>

BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!!

I aint seen or felt shit

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do these solar flares still mess with radio and video transmission? Broadcast that is. </div></div>

Yes -

WHen stationed in Alaska we had to do one of those emergency 18hr deployments for being the RDF and it was because NASA launched a barium filled satellite into the borealis and they wanted to test the effects on military commo.

Generally speaking cause a bit of static, sometimes you can "Hear" them - but during the DAYTIME - I saw my BN commander 200 yards away and could not hear him transmit - he drove one wavelength (31 mhz) towards me (6 feet) and voila, popped on the mic clear as day.

The Ionosphere lowers during the day, raises at night - so that's why CB radios can bounce further at night...

Weird commo happened, nothing consistent except static here and there.

Won't affect satellite unless the blast of solar radiation does and most of those are shielded..

Some ham operators may experience some interruptions (or not)...or get BETTER reception.

And no, as you saw in the movie "Frequency" there will be no time warps opened up
smile.gif

I'm sure Comcast will use this as an excuse the next time my cable goes out (which is about every other week).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I only see the Northern Lights when there is a Toyotathon.
The local dealer runs a big spot light at night!
</div></div>

I just shit my pants laughing at that.. ha ha!

well... damn... nothing happened. Oh well... back to paying taxes.....