• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SOLD 22 Creedmoor Prefit - Savage Small/Standard

browning442

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2014
Testing the waters here... Thinking of selling my 22 Creedmoor prefit barrel. It is threaded for a Savage small shank, which i had made for my bighorn origin (same threading). I have put 47 documented rounds through it, I've basically just done barrel break-in, but the groups I did with H4350 and Berger 80.5 were showing promise on the very first trial. I have decided it is going to be too heavy to carry for a calling rig.

Specs:

Wilson Arms varmint contour barrel
1:8 twist
22" finish length, w/ 5/8x24 threaded muzzle
Savage small shank threads
Chambered by Sin Arms

I paid $415 to have the barrel chambered in 22 Creedmoor, threaded for suppressor, muzzle thread cap, and barrel nut done by Sin Arms. Barrel was not overly polished, as i didn't want a shiny barrel for predator hunting.

Save the wait for yourself - I will ship it to you for $385 OBO with all the above.

2541.jpg

2542.jpg

2543.jpg

2544.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure... i never weighed it before install. Best i could do would be to weigh the whole rig and subtract the weight of the components that i know (action, stock, optics, bottom metal).

I believe the smith told me the profile is a "Varmint" and would be about .830" at 24" so i should be right there with a remington varmint contour

Dont worry about weighing whole rig etc, not that big a deal. Did you chrono any of the shots you put through it?

Dont worry about weighing whole rig etc, not that big a deal. Did you chrono any of the shots you put through it?

Yes, i tried some RL26, 45.5 grains, average 3316 fps. at a moderate load. That was with 75 ELD-M.

The shots i did with H4350 up to 43.0 grains showed promise with the berger 80.5, i went up to 43.0 without pressure. I unfortunately didnt bring the chrono that day. Going off most poeples numbers i'd think 3350-3400 would be attainable with this combo.

I looked at the rem and straight taper contours... i would be willing to bet this barrel sits at 5.5-6 lb

To headspace it, do you just use 6.5 creedmoor go/nogo gauges?

Yes, per JGS that is what was to be used, that's what i used, worked great

Can you interchangeably use a nut style barrel with a TL3? I'm asking because it seems the nut provides a shoulder. IE, barrel is screwed in, then nut is screwed down to tension barrel in place thereby setting headspace.

Thanks!

You are correct with the process!

Per the info i got from Northland Shooters Supply - yes, i believe the TL3 works the same as the Origin. The nut does essentially provide the shoulder, which is how you're able to adjust headspace in the comfort of your own garage. Basically, the barrel is threaded into the action / the action is screwed onto the barrel far enough that the headspace is correct, then the nut is tightened to maintain that headspace. The nut tightens against the recoil lug, which on a TL3 is integral (my origin is a pinned lug).

It took me all of half an hour to thread the action on, headspace, and tighten the nut. Per JGS, the 6.5 creedmoor headspace gauges are to be used, and i can confirm that since that's what i used and have fired rounds without issue.

Appreciate the fast response. I just check Berger's stability calculator and there is no way that barrel is going to stabilize the 95 SMKs, if it was a 1-7 I'd buy it right now. :(

Nope - with the 8 twist you'll probably be good up to 82g range. Anything more you'd need a 7

For those curious, PM me and i can send you pics of the first groups shot through the new barrel & rifle.