• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

solid bullets!!!!

stenger

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 25, 2009
western Pa
i dont know how you guys do it but i can not get solid bullets to shoot. i have tried them in three diffferent guns, 338 LM, 1.10 match gun, 50 bmg 1.15 match gun, and a 300 wsm, 1/10 match gun. i get decent results but they are not consistent. somtimes my groups at 100 will be in the .1's then the next group will open up to .3's. they are just not as accurate as convetional bullets. Or is there something i am missing.
Second question I dont see how if you have a gun that is shooting a quality bullets and the velocity spred is down how you can not do load develpment at 100. i find it hard to believe that a group that measures .25 at 100 will be out shot by a load that is shooting .75 at 100 if the velocity spred is low and the BC is similar. maybe you all can help i am just about ready to forget solid bullets forever.

Re: solid bullets!!!!

2: It is quite possible to find a loading that shoots very well at 100 yards with a big enough ES and/or SD that it hase significant vertical stringing at 600+ yards.

1: Solids can be significantly longer than jacketed leads of the same weight. This, then, requires a stiffer twist to stabilize.

They can also be a bit different when it comes to seaing depths and the rifling. If I recall, at least one maker recommends a significant jump, and my thinking is that if it's good for one brand, it might be worth trying with the others.

Greg

And, as Greg says...those much longer bullets nutate more and may not have stabilized at 100 yards. They also precess around the axis of the line of flight until they finally arrive at a center point. You may find a much better group in MOA's at 300 or 400 yards than you do at 100. JMHO

1. Solids are not considered to be more accurate than conventional bullets at those distances. Heck thats why the itty bitty group guys love flat backed bullets so much is because they are more accurate at those distances.

2. A .3 shooting 50 and 338LM are pretty good lol

3. Solid bullets do not like the "squeeze" associated with barrels made for conventional bullets.

Thanks

thats the problem i am having i am a little tiny group guy that is having trouble making the transition into the long range game. So you all recommend shooting the bullets at 300 yards and see what i come up with. i know right now my 338 LM is shooting in the .1's with 300 grain lapua match bullets. i just shot a ground hog at 700 yards so accuracy i think is good at long range. Do you all think solid would be more accurate or more consistent at 1000 + yards than the lapua's even though the groups are smaller at 100 than the solids. I am currently playing with Hooker solids which have shot between .1 and .3 250 grain. i am going to try the 270 gr. with a BC of .86 i hope they shoot!! The lapua's have a bc of .77

Yes usually 400 yards is the minimum range you want to test these bullets at. The 270 might not stabilize if your twist is marginal. A good test is stick them in backwards and shoot at 100. It they are stable then they should make the trip up to trans-sonic flight. Solid bullets have been proven to shoot better out of a bore that not as tight as the jacketed bullets per they wont need as much grip. If you need any more help to hesitate to pm me or give me a call.