• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Some Bolt Help with a Old School (25+) Savage 110FP 308

SeanE

Private
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2022
New Yorkistan
Loong time ago I purchased a Savage 110FP (long action) in 308. With the crummy factory trigger and not-so-good stock it still was sub MOA shooter. I have about 1500 rounds down range and until recently, never an issue. I had the trigger worked on and it is a nice crisp break and I bedded a McMillian stock and she's a forever keeper. I never shot it a ton as I have other rifles that take my range time. I started my 13-year-old son at the bench with this rifle and this is where the issues appeared.

The issue is a complete failure to extract. I've tried GMM as well as my own loads and same deal. Whether a complete round or fired round, brass remains in the chamber. It came on quick and was not a gradual fail to extract.

Pics are hard to demonstrate but I have one posted below of the bolt face.

I ran brake cleaner and swabbed out the face as much as I could. Suggestions on where to go from here? I have medium capabilities and some tools. Extractor replacement along with spring? Anyone have a link to a good video if that is the route? Can't think of anything else. Chamber looks a ok and it still shoots excellent, just wont extract.

If it matters, the extractor does not appear to be brass but I could be wrong.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Attachments

• Savage Bolt 1.jpg
    Savage Bolt 1.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 74
  • Savage Bolt 2.jpg
    Savage Bolt 2.jpg
    556 KB · Views: 71
Does the extractor slide f you press on it? Have you tried taking it apart and checking the individual pieces? Id like to see what the backside of the extractor lip looks like, could be rounded off and no longer grabbing sufficiently.

I bet one of the many savage extraction upgrades kits onthe market would work for under 30 bucks.

Extractor and ejector problems are a common complaint with Savage., they could fix it with zero cost increase, but refuse to.
There are kits available, this one is excellent:

I found the easiest way to complete the ejector job was to put a fired case in a vise and press the bolt over the case, compressing the plunger. Be aware, the retention pin only goes in one way.
When it comes to the extractor, buy a large, 2 gallon ziplock, do the work inside that, because the damn thing WILL slip. I never found the bearing, but the extra strength spring with the old bearing worked.

Reactions: SeanE
I have a bunch of larger bearings that can be used to increase the tension on the extractor. Drop me a PM and I’ll mail you a couple.

Does the extractor slide f you press on it? Have you tried taking it apart and checking the individual pieces? Id like to see what the backside of the extractor lip looks like, could be rounded off and no longer grabbing sufficiently.

I bet one of the many savage extraction upgrades kits onthe market would work for under 30 bucks.

Slide....do you mean play side to side?

I did not take it apart yet. I was looking for a quality how to video someone here may recommend.

Extractor and ejector problems are a common complaint with Savage., they could fix it with zero cost increase, but refuse to.
There are kits available, this one is excellent:

I found the easiest way to complete the ejector job was to put a fired case in a vise and press the bolt over the case, compressing the plunger. Be aware, the retention pin only goes in one way.
When it comes to the extractor, buy a large, 2 gallon ziplock, do the work inside that, because the damn thing WILL slip. I never found the bearing, but the extra strength spring with the old bearing worked.

Springs bouncing around can really make a guy pissed....ask me how I know :oops: Working in a plastic bag is a great way to avoid time on your knees looking for a lost spring.

Slide....do you mean play side to side?

I did not take it apart yet. I was looking for a quality how to video someone here may recommend.
It slides in toward the center, push down a bit and inward.

It slides in toward the center, push down a bit and inward.

I manually pushed it down and inward and it moved forward. No play side to side. I sprayed it with brake cleaner and worked it a bit and it will now extract. Granted this is not a fired round but it's grabbing. Is it possible it was dirty and unable to move forward to grab the cartridge rim?

I'll test it at the range next week and see how it does.